We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Houdini Death Device... Where Is It Made?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Hi all,

I've been having a rumage around Daytona Magic this afternoon and noticed their Houdini Death Device.

They mention that it is made in India, but I was wondering if anyone knew who the company is?

Here's a link to Daytona http://daytonamagic.net/customer/index.c......Id=10621

Thanks in advance.

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I actually bought one of those from Daytona Magic when I was on vacation in Florida quite a few years ago. I purchased the Zanadu made item. I sure hope the quality of the death device has improved, because the one I have is very poorly made...I've never used it in any type of show.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Like Margarette I bought one of the Zanadu models years and years ago. It was pure crap and had it cost me more than $10.00 I would have been PO’ed! The Daytona model doesn't look any better.

The cuffs are kids toys and the metal collar is flimsy tin/aluminum (?). It was very cheaply made.

However, I took an old set of cuffs (cheap Spanish cuffs) I had laying around and replaced the toy cuffs with them. Just doing that one thing made the prop useable. Sense then I have used it in actual performance. You can borrow a lock with this prop.

Figure that you will have to make some modifications (minimally change the cuffs) to make this a prop that you will actually use. So you need to add a cheap set of cuffs to the price.

In theory this is a visually interesting prop. Too bad no one actually makes it so that it can be used right out of the box.

Now if you want something that looks like that prop but looks “real” then check out:
http://www.cannonsgreatescapes.com/Shopp......ase.html

You can add cuffs (additional expense) or simply a chain and a couple more padlocks.
Yes it will cost you more to go this route but you will actually use the prop.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Cheers Margarette & Harry,

You confirmed what I thought from the picture. I'd heard the Zanadu prop was naff. Wondered who the Indian manufacturer was.

Thanks again,

Ros
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Actually, what I use instead of The Death Device is an iron neck collar with padlocks and chains attached to the front and sides, then more chains used with handcuffs securing my hands in front of me, no where near the neck collar. The hands can't get near the neck collar until after the handcuffs are removed.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Sounds cool. Thanks.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've seen the Zanadu item on numerous occasions, but never in use. I can't imagine why anyone would buy it. It looks so flimsy, it couldn't convince an audience.

Better to get the Cannon's product, or make your own.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'll avoid buying the Zanadu item. my friend does have these in his magic shop. but I'll avoid buying it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Houdini Death Device... Where Is It Made?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL