The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin Video Demos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kramerica2010
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of kramerica2010
I used to love Penguin for their awesome demos but now all they have is some guy just talking about how good the book is. I'm upset Penguin. BTW is he Sam Blankenship?
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
The asian guy in most of the new videos is Jay Noblezada. He's a really good magician, but unfortunately, he works for penguin.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
This same discussion is going on at the Penguin forums as well. No, I don't think it's Sam. You can see a picture of him on the Penguin blog. I really don't know who it is.

Penguin is in a tough position with book reviews. Most of their clientele seem to not want to read, preferring "visual stimulation" for everything. It's hard to do a book review without talking about the book. It's even harder to try and review books on video as there's really not much they can do but talk about the book. Some of the Penguins complained that they should have demo'ed some of the tricks contained in the books. This complaint is hard to fulfill considering some of the books in question are essays and contain no tricks.

You also have to remember that Penguin is in the business of selling magic, not reviewing it. Does anyone really think they'll find a negative review there? All the reviews you read (or watch) there, no matter what you call them, are still sales pitches.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
magicmandb1
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
30 Posts

Profile of magicmandb1
For the books demos they should atleast show a trick or two from the book, and then talk about it.
"If a tree falls in a forest, and thier's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Try performing a trick from "Shattering Illusions." Go ahead, I'll wait.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Believe it or not, there was a time when people bought books simply based on the description on the jacket or simply because they knew of and enjoyed the author. Now we have an online demo of someone speaking about a particular book, giving a verbal overview and description of the material in the book, and it's still not good enough for some of you? Wow, how lazy have we become?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
magicdave777
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magicdave777
Maybe its not a matter of being lazy, but spending money well. Why not take in the extra info before spending your hard earned cash? And we have all purchased a crap trick based on the description....big mistake. I am glad we now have easy ways to communicate and review new products.
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
Well that's why penguin magic has a comment area on all the protects. I really never buy something cause of what someone that worked for the place said. Its not like they would say the protect is bad.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
There is a magician/mentalist that sometimes posts on the Genii Board and MagicTalk. I don't know him, but saw a picture of him on his website - his name is Paul Draper, and I think it's him. I'm pretty sure he's a professor at UNLV, so it makes sense.

Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin Video Demos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL