The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I for Interesting? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Any feedback on "V for Vendetta"?

I thought the writing was pretty good and the telescoping of some of the characters from the original comicbook seemed to work.

Also nice to see John Hurt play opposite his 1984 role.

How did you like the black, white and red high contrast look as opposed to the black, white and pastels look of the original?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Have yet to read the graphic novel that this movie was based on but I really enjoyed the picture. Nice to see an "action film" that has more substance than action.
I give this movie a thumbs up and four and a half stars out of five.
Well worth seeing and hopefully it will start a dialogue amoungst our population on the importance of being involved in what's going on around them.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Here is Alan Moores thoughts on the film, great book, I haven't seen the film yet.....

Moore:

I've read the screenplay, so I know exactly what they're doing with it, and I'm not going to be going to see it. When I wrote "V," politics were taking a serious turn for the worse over here. We'd had [Conservative Party Prime Minister] Margaret Thatcher in for two or three years, we'd had anti-Thatcher riots, we'd got the National Front and the right wing making serious advances. "V for Vendetta" was specifically about things like fascism and anarchy.
Those words, "fascism" and "anarchy," occur nowhere in the film. It's been turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country. In my original story there had been a limited nuclear war, which had isolated Britain, caused a lot of chaos and a collapse of government, and a fascist totalitarian dictatorship had sprung up. Now, in the film, you've got a sinister group of right-wing figures — not fascists, but you know that they're bad guys — and what they have done is manufactured a bio-terror weapon in secret, so that they can fake a massive terrorist incident to get everybody on their side, so that they can pursue their right-wing agenda. It's a thwarted and frustrated and perhaps largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values [standing up] against a state run by neo-conservatives — which is not what "V for Vendetta" was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about [England]. The intent of the film is nothing like the intent of the book as I wrote it. And if the Wachowski brothers had felt moved to protest the way things were going in America, then wouldn't it have been more direct to do what I'd done and set a risky political narrative sometime in the near future that was obviously talking about the things going on today?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Interesting.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Well 4 of us found it interesting.

That's enough for an international movement.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Jonathan,

How do you think the book compares to the film in content, do you recognise any of Alan Moore's charges?

Here are a couple more Alan Moore interviews:

http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/2006/03/a......tml#more

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=554

Cheers, Corona
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks Corona,

Did the second part of that interview (first link) get posted yet?

Temping to discuss how it feels he lose control over one's work but that's a different subject.

I feel the American movie version will likely be seen as awkward outside of America. This film has none of the awkward charm of "Last Action Hero".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
http://www.comicon.com/thebeat/2006/03/a......tml#more

Here it is.

Also this you tube page has a recent bbc interview on the culture show, scroll down a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=al......h=Search
I'm off to watch it now (isnt youtube great?)

all the best

Corona
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I watched the other clips on the same page. I thought they would be interesting to the bizarre storytelling enthusiast.

No tricks, but great stories.

Corona
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I for Interesting? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL