The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » South Park Vs Tom Cruise and An Alien. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Hello.

Just wondered what anyone thought about this story. Cartoons seem to be causing quite a bit of bother recently. Should they be banned? Do they spell the end of civilisation? Personally I quite like them but if it will make the world a more peaceful place I say let's rub em out.

Do you think there is any connection between cartoons and the current civil war in France?

Let me know what you think.

http://www.cultnews.com/index.php/2006/0......th-park/

Cheers, Corona
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I say we let Iranian cartoonists make fun of Scientology, so we can all sit back and enjoy the fun!

Seriously, apparently all this fuss is over nothing. According to this article, he suffered a stroke on Jan. 17th, and hasn't been doing much of anything since then, except trying to recover. Even after the Scientology episode first aired in November, Isaac Hayes was seen several places promoting the show and even sing his *ahem* hit song from there.

To me, that's pretty strange behavior for a guy who wants to leave the show!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Hi Scott

So a bit of a non story then, reports on the BBC here also suggested that Tom Cruise has stopped this episode being broadcast in the UK

Perhaps that has more to do with the 'come out of the closet' gag.
Or maybe that's a load of pap too.

Interesting that these kind of stories arise on the mainstream media at certain times though.

Sorry to hear Isaac is unwell.

by the way the geographically challenged can see the episode here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9t8LkfRkIDk&a......entology

I just watched it and found it very educational.

Cheers

Corona
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Anyone looking to "South Park" for their information on religion is in trouble. They use just enough truth about the religions they mock, to mock them. It's a CARTOON COMEDY.

Having said that, I love South Park.

Maybe they should stop teaching sex-ed in school, and begin T.V.-ed:
Cartoons aren't real,
Reality T.V. isn't real,
All people, news anchors and reporters included are biased, regardless of what they say,
The T.V. isn't your friend anymore than the toaster,
Don't throw things at the T.V when a tackle is poorly called and the ref seems to be blind and dumb, it's just weird,
The last few seasons of M*A*S*H* Sucked because it got all preachy and dramatic,
also Family Guy is cool.

Well they'd have to add to the list...........

Futurama also is cool.
Monte Python
What was I talking about anyway?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Many a truth is spoken in jest.

Josh are you saying that Scientologists do not believe what it says they do in South Park?

Are you also saying I am in trouble?

I don't have a tv should I get one?

What are you talking about?

; )

All the best,

Corona
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I don't know what Scientologists believe. Considering what other religions they spoofed, that I do have knowledge of, believed, compared to the south Park version.... I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt. It is a cartoon, designed for entertainment.

Your not in trouble from me, but the Scientologists are gonna sue you!

Don't waste your money on a T.V. Although I hear Blaine's gonna be on. I'm gonna throw things at the T.V.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The Scientology beliefs are pretty well posted on the web if you are curious.

As to mocking a religion... that might be crossing a line. One thing to mock behavior. Another to mock beliefs.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I don't know if there is much of a difference.

I don't see a problem with any mockery. Laughter is the best medicine, assuming a person is allowed to take medicine. Just don't make fun of ME!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
OnOne thing to mock behavior. Another to mock beliefs.

Well, my own viewpoint has gotten me in hot water more than once, but my position is "if your/my belief lends itself to mockery, mock away!" Maybe mockery (even mean-spirited mockery) can be a useful tool for separating well-founded beliefs from foolish ones.

I've always felt that a belief ought to be able to stand a little criticism and trial, and if it can't do so then maybe it's just a stupid idea.

How many STRONGLY HELD beliefs are there out there that could use some healthy criticism? Let's stay away from religion - do you weant your kids taught the "Hollow Earth theory" - it has serious adherents. Would you place a lot of political responsibility in the hands of someone who was a Holocaust denier? Would you feel comfortable leaving business decisions in the hands of someone who proclaimed that "paying income tax is voluntary"?

Okay, back to religion: How about a friend who suddenly started giving money and running their life in a distorted way according to some weird principles promulgated by some upstart sect? I mean, if it was a true friend you cared about, wouldn't you do all you could to tell them that it was foolish to [fill in the blank here with some bizarre behavior ... so many nonsensical and truly unhealthy things have been "sold" to gullible people by the current prophet-of-the-month]? Not that holders of such beliefs tend to listen to reason ("Pay no heed to the unbeliever even if he's a family member, the devil has many disguises").

Why should the area of faith be exempt from the common human fact that brings us back to a wise course in other areas: "Go ahead and stick your head up above the crowd if you can stand the bashing you'll get." You gotta expect the bashing or you're a fool, because it's gonna happen. Retreat into a compound and whine about how unfair it is that someone should say "your belief is sure weird" and you get the Branch Davidians (bye-bye, guys) - put up with it for centuries and stand fast to firm principles and you have Orthodox Jews and the Amish ... I wouldn't be able to go as far as they go, but they'll both be around when the rest of us are long gone.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Back in the 80's I had a very respectful and functional clerk. One day, this airman failed to show for work. He was no where to be found. Next day we put out a Missing Person report and feared the worst. Three weeks later he came dragging back onto the base. This was a fine young man who fell in with a local "church" who's leader touted the end of the world on a certain Thursday Evening at exactly 8:10 PM. Each member sold all of their possessions and gave it to the church. They then moved to a mountain top in Georgia or Alabama to await the catastrophe... which never happened (in case you were wondering).
Oddly, (?) the church leader was also a No-Show.

As this 20-year-old kid was awaiting his AWOL hearing, he admitted to me that he had been stupid. I agreed...since everyone knew that there was no way Bill Cosby would ever allow God to end the world during HIS show's airtime. The kid never talked to me again after that.

I pick on my wife's Catholic upbringing all the time...how great is it to sin yourself sick, confess, absolve, start fresh...AND you get a free snack at each service!! Since putting that plastic Madonna on my dash...I've had the best luck with parking spaces and avoiding tickets!! What a deal! Nevertheless, I'm packing my asbestos boxers...just in case.

My perspective: This planet needs to develop a global sense of humor and stop taking itself so seriously. Above all the beasts, God (however He, She or It is perceived) gave mankind alone the gift of genuine laughter. Ever wonder why?!!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I wonder if Chef will stop cashing those royalty checks out of shame?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
God (however He, She or It is perceived) gave mankind alone the gift of genuine laughter. Ever wonder why?!!

Garrison Keillor said that at a certain point in life, each person should decide whether his life is a comedy or a tragedy. And God writes a lot of comedy ... he just has such bad actors!
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
Actually there is no such thing as a Scientology "belief." Scientology is not a faith/belief based religion. It is a religious philosophy of life that one learns and applies to one's life and see if it works. One of the main tenets is that "If it's not true for you then it isn't true. Only those things that you have observed for yourself are true."

This concept of it not being a faith based relegion is a bit difficult to grasp as it is different from what we traditional think of as religion here in the west but nonetheless that's the deal.

Randy

PS "I always crack up when I hear people say what I believe in. Now as a Christian I do have certain beliefs but that's a different religion."
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Thankyou Scott, Josh, Ross, Jonathan, Skip, Bitterman and Maviaux.

The swedish foreign secretary has just resigned, over what you may wonder?

Cartoons, yes folks, the cartoonists are taking over the world one frame at a time.

They must be stopped,

Erasers ready?

Lets start rubbing out!

I personally feel that belief is a park bench on the winding path of life, there is always somewhere else to go as the mind journey's.

I agree with Rossmacrae about humour, it is good not to take ourselves too seriously. It can be tough to learn to laugh at ourselves, but it makes life so much easier. I mean what do we really know for certain? Perhaps what we like and what we don't like. Anymore?

I thought Jonathans thread about V for Vendetta (or eye for interesting) would attract more attention, I guess its a sitter....

Anyway don't have a cow,

Corona
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Great news! Now that we know it isn't a religion we can tax them!
Steve V
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
About being a religion, look again at the words offered earlier

Quote:
On 2006-03-21 12:16, rnaviaux wrote:...not being a faith based religion ...

And let's be mindful of our rules for good behavior here.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I have a friend in the usa that was arrested and convicted for drawing a comic book ....he was forbid to draw in the state of FL This is in the good old USA.... Let freedom ring.......

MIKE DIANA FOUND GUILTY ON 3 COUNTS OF OBSCENITY

2nd Conviction Upheld By 2nd Appellate Court, Supreme Court Denies Hearing

In 1994, underground cartoonist Mike Diana was thrown in jail for 4 days without bail on obscenity charges, for publishing, advertising, and selling his zine BOILED ANGEL. Mike was on probation for 3 years, terms of which included fines of $3000, no contact with children under 18 (or within 10 feet of a minor), 1280 hours of community service, maintain full time employment, and at his expense, see a psychiatrist and take journalism courses at his own expense; AND no drawing for his own personal use... his home was subject to unannounced searches by local police to make sure he was complying. Mike Diana is now serving another 2 years of probation, including $2000 in fines, and the same probationary terms.

On June 4, 1996, a ruling issued by Largo, Florida, Circuit Judge Douglas Baird declared Mike Diana's zines, Boiled Angel #7 and #ATE as obscene. The judge emphasized throughout Mike's ruling that he personally found Diana's comics "patently offensive." Referring to Diana as "the appellant," and stated, "The evident goal of the appellant's publication is to portray shocking and graphic pictures of sexual conduct so it will be noticed. If the message is about victimization and that horrible things are happening in our society, as the appellant alleges, the appellant SHOULD HAVE created a vehicle to send his message that was not obscene."
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
And I say tax 'em, tax 'em all, be mindful as well.

What is a 'zine'? I've not seen that term before.
Steve V
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
A Zine is kind of a Thetan but on paper steve.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-03-21 12:57, Corona Smith wrote:

Cartoons, yes folks, the cartoonists are taking over the world one frame at a time.

They must be stopped,

Erasers ready?

Lets start rubbing out!

Corona

Have the lessons of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT been lost on us all. Can't we all, toons and humans, just get along?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » South Park Vs Tom Cruise and An Alien. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL