The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » American Humor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Look at our president and tell me we don't have a great sense of humour.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
It's settled then, Americans are funny!

Hooray!

Corona
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Vandy you have a responsablity to the person who signed the check!

That really is the bottom line. IF you have been paid to be "blue" then you had better be blue.

If they wanted this and then the audience didn't enjoy it, well not really your fault. Many people book the wrong act for the wrong venue. A good agent will not let this happen.

Hey our Vice President actually shot a guy and the guy he shot APPOLOGISED!!!
THAT is funny. You shoot a guy and he says "sorry my bad". You can't write funnier comedy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
HAHAH I love this. take a look at ANY of Lewis Black's comedy and you will see that Americans have a sense of humor due to political views. If anyone likes to watch someone poke fun and Democrats AND Republicans pick up the DVD Lewis Black Unleashed

Quote:
On 2006-03-22 10:32, magicalaurie wrote:
Believe it or not, I'm an adult. Smile

Well said Magicalaurie, if people can laugh without dirty material I don't see why there needs to be it. Maybe its culture and the way you are viewed by others watching you laugh at certain things.
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-03-22 16:36, Dannydoyle wrote:
Vandy you have a responsablity to the person who signed the check!

That really is the bottom line. IF you have been paid to be "blue" then you had better be blue.

If they wanted this and then the audience didn't enjoy it, well not really your fault. Many people book the wrong act for the wrong venue. A good agent will not let this happen.

True that.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Well even though I hope the discussion continues so far weve at least learned three things:

First: Its not just Americans who can be vulgar.

Secondly: There are plenty of good American clean artists out there.

And Finally and most importantly : NEVER go hunting with a Vice President!!!
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
How long do you have to wait after a famous magician dies to include them in a version of The Aristocrats?
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Quote:

Well said Magicalaurie, if people can laugh without dirty material I don't see why there needs to be it. Maybe its culture and the way you are viewed by others watching you laugh at certain things.

I think it has a lot to do with culture and how you are raised. Also social circles you run around in.
cheers chris
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Christian,

People can eat without meat but not everybody wants to be a vegetarian. People can live without beer but not everybody wants to be a teetotaller etc For those that want those options that's fine but it doesn't mean that everybody wants them! There are people that like clean humor and I have no problem with that either! Why they have a problem with those of us that like bawdy humor is a bit strange to me. I'm not trying to force my ideals onto them so why should they feel the need to censor in any way those of us that do enjoy it seems odd to me. Hey, why can't we all just get along? Those who like clean stuff go to the clean comics, those who like it uncensored go to those comics!

It's nothing to do with social circles either. I once once told one of the rudest (and I may add funniest) jokes I've ever heard by a high ranking member of the British Royal family. Liking of clean humor crosses all social boundaries ... hmmm ... but then again so does raunchy humor.

By the way I was raised as a Roman Catholic, went to very posh schools and university and still love a good bawdy joke. To repeat myself, we are all different!

Just another 10 cents worth!

Simon
archini
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
312 Posts

Profile of archini
Well here's my 2 penneth worth.... (I'm still in the UK)

I saw Simon at a recent IBM convention over here in the UK. I had missed him when he lived in the UK years ago as I wasn't big into magic then. I had heard stories that he could be close to the mark etc so I was interested to see how he went. Well I was pleasantly surprised at how funny and charming he was. Later in the week he performed at a late night 'Fringe' event where he was slightly more 'blue' but still charming and funny, and it suited both the venue and occassion. He went down very well that night.... we both did ;-).
I perform without swearing (unless things go wrong), but I don't condemn it, it can be a great tool if used correctly and in the right place. English humour can be more aggressive towards spectators that's for sure, the secret is to make sure that the audience warm to you and are aware that it's an act.

'Horses for courses' as we say

John
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2006-03-23 06:23, isso liwok wrote:
How long do you have to wait after a famous magician dies to include them in a version of The Aristocrats?

Depends on the venue?
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Archini,

Good to see you here ... sorry we didn't get to spend more time together to hang out at the IBM. Let me know any time you'll be in NYC!

By the way there's a typo in my last message "once once" should of course read as "was once" ... sorry for any confusion!

Simon
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm not interested in censoring anyone. Not a vegetarian, either. Here we go. Smile
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Laurie,

I wasn't suggesting that anybody here was trying to censor anything ... just pointing out that there are those in life who do try to censor us in many aspects of life, not just comedy!

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough!

Simon
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1125 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Two things:

I was at the Fringe IBM show in Southport...and laughed and loved both Simon and John Archer.

Second:
Your clean comedian list left out Brian Regan....one of the best.
http://www.brianregan.com
Go see his live show--you won't be sorry!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
So, the difference between the British and American sense of humor is that Americans LIKE Benny Hill?

Kidding.....

Doing blue or not, as has been pointed out by those wiser than I, seems to be determined by a few seemingly simple things - the performer's preferences, the performer's personal style (which is different), the performer's skill, the audience and the person who does the hiring of the performer.

SO, Magicial Comedian, Know Thyself, Thine Audience and Thine Client!

Then make up your own mind!

But without that self-knowledge - knowledge about what you are good at doing, good at delivering and good at booking, you are going to make mistakes - some of which can be VERY costly, especially in the USA, where sex is far more of a taboo than it appears to be in Europe or much of the rest of the world (the Islamic countries being a notable exception, of course, for obvious reasons).

"I can remember when the air was clean and the sex was dirty." - George Burns

Which doevtails nicely with another quote - "Dying is easy. Comedy is HARD."

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2957 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-03-23 22:58, Simon Lovell wrote:
Laurie,

I wasn't suggesting that anybody here was trying to censor anything ... just pointing out that there are those in life who do try to censor us in many aspects of life, not just comedy!

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough!

Simon

Very true, Simon. Thanks. I didn't see your post as a personal accusation, necessarily. No worries. Smile Just clarifying my own position on censorship. And the meat- eating thing. Smile
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Laurie,

Next time you are in NYC I'll buy you a nice salad and discuss comedy ... with no swearing or bad topics of course!

Simon
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But you will have to discuss it nude
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Me nude, at my advanced age, would be far more offensive to anybody than anything I could say!

Not a pretty sight!

Simon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » American Humor (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL