The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Choreography (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Did I spell that right? anyway, I just had a question. I'm a young magician, and I like to choreograph my routine until I have it down to a t. but here's where the problem comes in. what about when I'm using instramental music? I don't read music, so I can't say on this note, so how do I write it down? up until now, I've down my best just to memorize it, but I'd like to have it written down so I can go back to it later, in case I forget. do any of you guys have a better way to do this?
**--snap--**
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
It's not done by the note .. it's done by counts. You'll need to work with someone with dance experience .. then you'll get it figured out.

Steve
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
I never thought of that. when I took flute a few years back, she taught me about the counts, although I never could get it down. to this day I still have the little machine that counts for you, but I doubt that in shows the audience wants to hear tick, tick, tick, in the back ground. Smile
**--snap--**
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's usually your stage manager who is calling cues and is the one doing the counting.
Steve has hit it right on the head, you need to investigate the methodology of dance performances and dance stage managers to determine how this might be done.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I always try to notate choreography on a musical score, whenever possible. But this is really only effective if you know how to read a score.

When working without a score I just write it in "list" form on a yellow legal pad. I usually break the song down into INTRO/VERSE/CHORUS/BRIDGE etc. Then I count how many beats are in each section. You will find that most often these will be multiples of 8. Most dance to music in 4/4 is created in 8-beat phrases.

Sometimes, depending on the complexity of the routine, it can be as simple as noting as follows:

INTRO: Slow and spooky - walk to center stage with floating ball
FAST MUSIC: When the trumpets start - Let go of ball leaving it floating
DRUM FILL: After the drum fill - ball starts to float higher

etc., etc., etc.

You can also record your music with spoken instructions recorded along with it so you have instructional reference.

Really whatever form of notation that will make sense to you.

Good luck!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Choreography (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL