The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » PD-250 vs. Stagepas300 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Does anyone have good knowledge of how these two stack up against each other? The Yamaha Stagepas is a bit cheaper with a bit more output so it appears to be the better bargain.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
What about the speakers? THe new PD has bose speakers. You can have a great but if the speakers are low then the sound is low.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I questioned a technician at a music store about the alleged bose speakers in the PD-250. Unfortunately all this guy wanted to sell me was the Bose $2000 tower PA system...which did sound great btw. He informed me and showed me that the speakers in the fender are not bose speakers at all. Bose had nothing to do with the actual manufacture of the speakers but only played a consulting role in integrating the speakers with PD-250 system. I think the only legal term you will find in advertising or description is "Bose integrated speakers". Somehow I think that if they were Bose speakers then Bose would want their name on the unit. I was wondering how the lows and bass of the two units compare because the PD has a 6.5" woofer vs. an 8" woofer for the Stagepas. Also the Stagepas is putting out 70 more watts total. The PD-250 is definately a pretty little package but I'm looking for bang for buck. Basically I'd just like to hear from someone has actual listening or usage experience with both of these systems. I can't find a music place carrying both these systems.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Guitar center near me carries both, I believe. I don't know if that is a chain.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I have lsitened to both and can tell you that the Yamaha sounds better! The speakers are smaller but as you said, more bang for your buck. The only draw back is that the system does not "snap" together like the Fender. If it were me, I would get the Yamaha.

FYI: Yamaha also makes a powered speaker that looks just like the SpagePass system but it is only speaker. I have one and love it! You simply plug it in and go. No more spesker cables. They run about $379.00 and well worth it!
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I type fast...forgive the words that are not spelled right- sorry!

I need to start going back and proof reading before I hit submit!
srayproctor
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of srayproctor
John,

Don’t be snookered by the Bose name. Based on sound quality I would never buy any item using or claiming to use Bose products. Bose spends most of their budget on marketing and little if anything on research. They are marketing geniuses. The next time you are in a store that sells Bose equipment you will notice that there is usually a nice Bose surround sound demo setup. However, you will also usually notice that there is rarely if ever a competitors surround sound set up for you to compare. They don’t want you to listen to the competition and have actually set up there own stores because of this. I have found if you take the time to listen to the audio equipment in a "blind test" you will find that Bose is inferior to most other systems dollar for dollar. In my experience, I agree with Todd75 in purchasing the Yamaha product based upon sound quality. I have not actually listened to either of your two products in question but I have listened to many other competitors and Bose products. Please take the time and compare them yourself. If you only listen to one you'll probably say, "Sounds good to me". But in a side by side comparison I have never found Bose to be competitive at all. I have actually listened to Yamaha and Bose products in blind tests and the Yamaha wins hands down. Maybe my ear is more discriminating than most but I would wager that any other hardcore audiophile out there that reads this post and takes the “Pepsi Challenge” will agree. As a matter of fact if you listen to them side by side and honestly think the Fender product utilizing Bose speakers sounds better than the Yamaha, I’ll buy you a beer.

Scott
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I haven't seen the Yamaha system in question, but I have owned other Yamaha PA gear. Yamaha makes quality equipment. Having said that, I do own a Fender Passport PD-250. I compared it to the standard Fender Passport 250 and the PD-250 wins hands down. I never felt that Fender was trying advertise these speakers as Bose speakers, just that Bose was consulted and helped with their design. I do feel Fender is trying to use the Bose name to sell the Passport PD system. Whether Bose had anything to do with it or not, the PD system sounds much better than the standard Passport.

As for the Yamaha vs. Fender, it may be comparing apples to oranges. From reading some of these posts, it seems the Yamaha has bigger woofers and 70 watts more output. If sound quality is the only thing you're looking for, then the Yamaha should have an edge. However, I haven't heard any comparisons to inputs, outputs, portability, etc, etc.

Portability was the big sale for me when I chose the Fender Passport. I have a huge PA system for my music gigs, complete with a 24 channel mixer, huge EV speaker cabinets, crown power amps, effects units, etc. I also had a mid-sized Carvin system that I used for smaller gigs and magic shows. I had great sound and plenty of it, but I needed something smaller since I played for the magic shows and for my restaraunt music gigs.

I would have to respectfully disagree with Scott about the Bose sound quality issue. I don't know if their sound quality justifies their expense, but I think Bose does make great sounding systems. I even compared Bose speakers to my EVs and although the Bose were much smaller, they blew the EVs away. The best way I know to describe it was that the Bose cabinets filled the entire room with even sound. When I walked in front of my EVs they sounded great, but as I walked away, it was much more noticable than with the Bose. What really convinced me was this: I had 2 EVs and 2 Bose cabinets running at the same time, and when I killed the sound from the Bose it was a very noticable drop, but when I killed the sound coming from my EVs you could hardly notice it all.

I never did buy those Bose speakers, although I wanted them badly. They were much lighter weight than my EVs, and that was a major issue for me too, but they were expensive! Like I said before, I don't know if you can justify the expense of Bose, but in this case, they were better than my EVs.

Regan
Mister Mystery
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Most true audiophiles do NOT consider Bose speakers of high quality.
I don't think you would ever see Bose speakers in a top-end audiophile store.

The speakers do fill a room with sound and they do it with over-EQ'd bass and with a lot of sound bouncing off of walls and back out at you. A god set of typical speakers has large woofers to accommodate the low frequencies. Bose speakers use 4" drivers, if I'm not mistaken. 9 of them. They try to make up for this in other ways. acceptable to some. but not to the experts.

I believe an audiophile would consider the Bose sound to be:
boomy
unnatural
with a lack of "depth of stage"

what sounds good to someone who listens to classical music might sound very flat and boring to someone used to bose speakers or someone that listens to hip-hop (where all the lows are pumped up so you can feel them in the car next to you).

With an expensive set of speakers what you pay for is depth, width, accurate sound, and an ability to pinpoint exactly where instruments are on the stage. You also pay for silence. A truly wonderful sound that occurs between the instruments. You can here where nothing is happening during a song. Between 2 instruments. While they are playing. It is magnificent to be able to hear the silence between 2 players while they are playing.

Sounding "way better" to a college student/high school student usually means boomier, louder, with more energy. Sounding "way better" to others means very natural with unbelievable detail. You hear fingers, lips, heads moving, etc.
You will hear things in records that you've never heard before even though you've listened to that record 1000 times.

But systems like this are not found at places that typically sell pioneer, yamaha, bose, etc. Often the systems will favor tubes over solid state technology and are extremely expensive. Like speaker cable costing $100 per foot type expensive.

But getting back to Bose consulting in the PA arena, it could be great is what I'm talking about above is not necessary. I do think Bose technology adds energy to the sound and I've heard many say the PD systems are much better than the P systems.

I would never buy Bose but I did buy a PD-150 system expecting "a lot of sound" for the money.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Thanks Frank, I did manage to find both the PD-250 and the Stagepas300 at Guitar Center. I found the Stagepas300 to be significantly supperior in both sound and price. The lows and bass were definately more vibrant in the Stagepas300. I also found a site that sells the Stagepas for $550 that includes speaker stands. Quite a bargain for such sound and portability. Although the Stagepas doesn't compact to a one piece unit like the PD-250, the stagepas is also very portable with a one trip carry. Very happy to have a complete sound system with wireless sennheiser mic for well under $1000.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Fantastic!

Now I'm jealous.

Posted: Mar 26, 2006 12:42pm
And just so you know, it is possible to run that unit
from battery.

I've tried it (not with the stagepas, but other pa systems) by using
a 12v car charger. Depending on what you plug into it, you can do a
one-hour outdoor show by plugging into one of these.

You can buy these items at your local auto parts store.
They are often used to provide AC power on boats too.

Worked great for me. If you need for info, let me know.
Frank
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
That's awesome to know!...thanks Frank. Just so happens I already have one of those. Can't remember what the amp rating is but it was the highest amp rating they carried so I should be good to go. Nice to know I can set up an isolated outdoor gig if need be. Thank god I'm about done buying electronics for awhile(famous last words). From what I've heard if I get a gig too big for what I have they should have their own system. Thanks to all of you that have chimed in with great info. This place has saved me so much legwork and even more in wasted money. I'm anxious to try out the iPod/airclick setup...almost sounds too good to be true but for the most part the info I've gotten on here so far has been spot on.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Even if you don't have "music" for your act and you're not sure how to do it or even what to do, it would pay to have an airclick/ipod combo and use it to play music while you're setting up, etc. just to get the hang of how it works.

plus, pre-show music gives a professional air to your show.....
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
That's exactly the route I'm going Frank, I keep hearing pretty good things about that exact hookup. For the cost it can't be beat. I have music for my act and am just at the "not sure how to do it" stage right now. You have a mind reading act Frank?...maybe you should think about it. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

I knew you were going to say that.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Geez Frank I was holding off on posting figuring you'd just read my mind and put it up here...hopefully you're out entertaining the masses. Smile Thanks for the tip on just plugging a portable CD player to the PA system, it really works well. Took a couple RCA adaptors but works great. It is awesome what we can put together now for less than a kings ransom. That Stagepas300 system I got really kicks! I took your other tip Frank(check's in the mail) and ran an outdoor show thru it with an inverter and RV battery that I already had. I burned a sound effects CD and a music CD and with two cheap portable CD players w/remotes and it was like I had a sound crew. It was at an outdoor venue that had to cover a good quarter acre of space and I got so many compliments on the sound quality of the show. The entertainment part...well that's another story. The Stagepas300 that I got came w/free heavy duty speaker stands and mounts that tower to over 6' and what a difference they made! It is by far the best $600 I have spent.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Fantastic. If I were rich, I'd get this as well.
I use the PD-150 and perhaps it's not powerful enough for all
the possible shows.

I'm getting an impression from you...
You need a better cart.

Go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com and look up the rock and roller carts. Shipping is $10 and the carts are extendable and convertable.

Yes they have different sizes.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I have the Stagepass 300 and really like it. I went to the store to buy the PD 250 and was checking it out when this salesperson said, "Hey, listen to this." He walked over to a small mixer that was hooked up to the CD player and pushed play. That first word out of my month sounded like HAM!

http://www.aabaca.com/stagepas300.html
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/pro-audi......S300.asp

My wife was with me and she also liked it. It is funny how they can get that many watts out of a small speaker. I use to play in a band when I was in high school and still have my Shure 400 watt speakers which are big and heavy!

To me the Passport always looked like a boom box. But, the Stagepass 300 comes with its own carring bag/case that is on wheels and has a pull out handle. It just look more like something I wanted to be seen rolling into a gig then a boom box. LOL

The only thing that I didn't know when I bought it was that you have a button that you can push for speaking and then for music. BECAUSE music is such a big part of any show I just keep it on the music side. I really do like it and am glad that I bought it.

The mixer is placed into the speaker and can be removed to place on a table or stand. To me it just looks and sounds better then the Passport.

It just comes down to what a person likes. The passport kicks you know what, and so does the Stagepas300. It you have the money they also have higher watts.

Below is a review I found.

In many ways, Yamahas STAGEPAS 300 defies all conventional wisdom. Its not nearly large enough to sound as good as it does, the combination mixer=amp cant possibly be as compact as it is, and it must cost more than it does. But that's the age we live in. Every day, audio engineers and designers are figuring out ways to do what has been previously assumed undoable and the STAGEPAS 300 is a showcase of this out of-the-box thinking.

As much as I hate that clich, this is one time its just too appropriate. Once again with the conventional wisdom: It takes more than two units to make a sound system. So ingrained is that thinking that even a veteran audio reviewer such as I thought, as I opened the box, Somethings missing. But what you see is not what you get. You may think they sent you only the loudspeakers, but turn them around. On the back of one speaker theres a diagram showing some typical configurations. Under the diagram is a useful space for storing a mic and maybe some cables. On the back of the other unit is what you were looking for: an eight-channel mixer with built-in amp loaded with tasty extras.

Hand Me That Flathead

don't confuse the STAGEPAS 300 with another category of products known as powered speakers. Many powered speaker systems come with multiple inputs and some mixing capability, but this unit is different. First off, having a mixer on the back of the speaker is extraordinarily inconvenientespecially if you and your guitar or other instrument are center stage and your speakers are well out of arms reach. This is not a problem with the STAGEPAS 300, simply grab your trusty Craftsman flathead (a dime will also work) and give the two slotted releases above the mixer a quarter turn. Out pops the little beauty, so you can place it on a music stand (or mic stand with optional adapter) and have it right where you want it.

Stagepas 300
The mixer section itself is remarkably efficient. Channels 14 are for mics or instruments (selectable). Channels 56 and 78 are stereo inputs for the L/R output of your keyboard, a sub-mixer, or for a music source such as a CD or MP3 player. High/Low EQ is provided on all channels and you can employ a bit of 1-bit modulation digital reverb to add a rich ambience to your vocals. With the Speech/Music EQ switch you can add boost to the bass while playing and drop it out while speaking.

On the outside, there are two 1/4 jacks to supply a signal to your left and right speakers. There are two additional line level outputs to feed powered speakers or an additional system. Stereo outputs are also provided for recording. Theres a five-stage LED meter to monitor volume and limiter to save you from subjecting your loyal fans to distortion.

The layout of the mixer is quite nice. Considering its footprint is just a tick over 6.5 x 11, theres a comfortable amount of finger room. For the performer who needs as few technical distractions as possible, little icons are provided as a guide to the correct channel. Lastly, two roll bars provide protection against busting a knob. Theres very helpful interactive mouse-over diagram that explains all the features at Yamahas Web site (www.yamaha.com).

Top to Bottom

The STAGEPAS 300 is rated at 100 watts at 6Ù per side. Distortion (THD) is shown at 1 percent for 100 watts and 10 percent at 150 watts (at 1kHz). While that may not sound the least bit impressive, the 150-watt output is a maximum number. The built-in limiter kicks in to chop the peaks and protect the speakers (and the audience) from any audible distortion. As a result, soft passages are louder, making the overall system louder. The downside would be a loss in dynamic range, but who cares? This isn't a hi-fi for the living room.

The STAGEPAS 300 is perfect for traveling singer-musicians who want the peace of mind of having their own systemone that they know and trust. There are enough inputs to handle guitar, vocals, and keyboard. We didn't try to use it as a bass amp, however, when assaulting it with the lowest notes on our Yamaha P-120 digital piano, played loud, distortion was minimal. For intimate venues, such as coffeehouses, small to medium church sanctuaries, lounges, and even isolated outdoor setups, this system can cut through. (You will most certainly want to upgrade before your first arena gig.) When youre not out gigging, the STAGEPAS 300 makes a more than adequate monitor system for practice, home recording, or listening to your own favorite CDs. (Hmm...makes a good hi-fi after all.)
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2933 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thnaks for the SUPER review!! Very informative. Your time is appreciated.
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Todd,
You seem to have one of all the brands. Everytime a PA is talked about, you say you have one. Out of them all what one do you like best, for sound and power.

Fender
Peavey
Ampvox
Yamaha
Anchor

ahhh so many!!!
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » PD-250 vs. Stagepas300 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.71 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL