The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable Backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
I am looking for a small portable backdrop. I found this one interesting. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions? http://www.starmgc.com/fiberop.html
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
That looks pretty nice. The lights make it more interesting than a mere curtain. The tote bag would be handy.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
That thing looks pretty awesome, and it's as portable and about the same price as the plain one I'm using now with the same setup. Mine does have a center opening, though...Might just have to look into that! Has anyone dealt with this company before?

Steve Thomas
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
It's nice but just keep this in mind. The backdrop stands themselves appear to be standard photographic backdrop stands. They can be purchased for $100 - $150 a set. Check any photo supplier or check out the auctions on eBay for Amvona stands. The Amvona stands go for a really good price on eBay and they do them daily. (On top of that, the typical backdrop stand will go 8' - 10' high and at least 9' wide. This curtain is only 6.5' high by 10' wide.)

The question is whether or not it's worth $150 - $200 for the LED curtain. (I use several photographic backdrop stands and had my 8.5' x 5" curtains (two of them so it would split in the middle) made for about $50. That's material cost only as my mom did the sewing. Smile

Michael
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
I know that it is expensive but I have the Spider backdrop and cannot say enough good things about it. I mostly use just one panel of it and it is very easy to set up and very portable plus it looks great!
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Steve,
I have bought some small items from this folks. They are reputable - at least from my limited experience with them.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I think the curtain isn't tall enough. That seems to be the problem with a lot of backdrops. If the audience is sitting below you and fairly close (which is always the case for kid shows) then, from there perspective, your head will be above the curtain. This defeats part of the purpose of having a backdrop. I think 8 feet is a minimum. Better a curtain that's too long than too short.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
If you're interested, you can purchase standard photographic backdrop stands at a reasonbale price from Adorama Camera. Their web addrss is http://www.adorama.com
danchanmagic
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
23 Posts

Profile of danchanmagic
I agree the Spider Back Drop is one of best investment you'll make if you're a performer. The one down side is you cannot set it up outdoors due to wind, it catches like a sail. You can purchase it at http://www.spider-berlin.com/
-Daniel
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Nearly all backdrop systems will sail outdoors. The only way I've been able to use my backdrop system - it's one of the photographic backdrop stands with curtains - was to tie heavy weights to the bottom of each stand to keep them in place. The backdrops themselves still flapped in the wind.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice. As a new user to the Magic Café, I appreciate your input. The question is similar to what do you like, Ford or Chevy. They are both cars, but from then on it is personal taste, likes and dislikes.

Max
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
One further thing you may want to consider is that being lit from behind while performing some effects can betray the method.
LED's can put off quite a bit of light, and can give the audience increased contrast while watching an effect, something you might not want them to have.

Of course you could always turn the LED's on and off.

Perhaps leaving them off for most of the show, and then turning them on for the grand finale (if suitable) might be interesting.
Cheers.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Thank you Silverling for that excellent insight. Grand Finale!! Now why didn't I think of that Smile
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Received my LED Backdrop yesterday. It has a number of options for the lights. Although I won't use he lights all the time. So far very impressive. Looks like a good deal for the buck. Took about 10 minutes to set up. I am sure it can be done quicker. Will be using it in my shows next week.
kingcrest
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of kingcrest
I have this backdrop system myself. It is made by American Dj and is great for kid shows. I don't recommend it for the touring professional as it is a little under 7 feet tall but it is about 10 feet wide. It does make any small how look huge though. I have added par can lighting and it makes my show look like a small Las Vegas type show.
magicleland
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magicleland
I have one of the largest backdrop made, and I made it my self. Excellent! also use as storage container.
zig zag illusion - $3,000
theater rental - $500
geting advice from othe magicians on the cafe - priceless
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
The same company that offers the LED curtain also offers regular style backdrops here: http://www.starmgc.com/drape.html
Colin Uk
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Colin Uk
Hi

I have a roler banner backdrop personalised with graphics.

This is ideal for birthdays & schools.

For larger shows I use it with a spiderflex.

Very easy to set up.

Email me for pictures.

Colin
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I have found yet another reasonably priced source for backdrops:

http://www.hmcdisplay.com/Merchant2/merc......anddrape

Seems to be in the tradeshow style, but tall enough at 8 feet high, and sold in varying lengths to suit.
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
http://www.proxmagic.com

I have 2 sets of that and they worked great! Springs open and light weight.

Regards,
Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable Backdrop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL