The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable Backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
This is kind of off of the original post but what about using 2 stands from home movie screens? Would this work or are they to light weight?

Thanks
Steven
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
It would depend on how heavy your backdrop is, and how wide/stable the tripod stands are. I actually use 2 microphone stands w/boom arms and just crank them up as high as they'll go. I put a pole in between them and hang a nice set of velvet drapes on the pole, and I'm good to go.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 00:15, ReDeFiNe wrote:
http://www.proxmagic.com

I have 2 sets of that and they worked great! Springs open and light weight.

Regards,
Jeremy

At $1195 it's too rich for me....also, reminds me of the Spider Backdrop.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I was actually thinking about using a 6'x6' silk from some place like Rice's. Not to heavy and would not need a real heavy poll to hang it from. I know a lot say to use a backdrop from a dealer but like Christopher, $1195 is way out of my show budget. well maybe he did not say his show budget but mine..well you understand. I have seen some beautiful backdrops and maybe one day I will put it in my budget. They really do add a special professional touch to an act.

Steven
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-05-07 00:07, StevenMT wrote:
I was actually thinking about using a 6'x6' silk from some place like Rice's. Not to heavy and would not need a real heavy poll to hang it from.

I use airbrushed bedsheets. The big disadvantage is audiences can see through it in some areas if light is behind me. A silk is so thin. Imagine how bad it would look for audiences when they can see the objects (wall, pictures, window, bookshelves, etc.) behind it inside of a house. The only place I would picture a silk is on a threatre stage with perfect lighting.
aowhee
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of aowhee
Lance Burton and Jeff McBride endorse this backdrop and it is pretty nice and quick.
I am contemplating one myself
http://www.magicbackdrops.com/
has anyone else worked with one of these.
On another note I have been using a nice one for about twenty years that I made our of PVC much like a hockey goal set up. 12 feet by eight it sets up in twenty minutes and that is too long. I glued one side of each of the connectors and put a clevis pin in the other side after drilling a hole. To give support for the top I inserted a piece of metal conduit. It can not be broken down short so I do need the show van. I use it for big venues outdoors because it will not blow down easy. I got the curtain fabric at a place in RI called Loraine Fabrics. They are a very large discount house that has an entire floor of fabric for 99 cents a sq yd
They also have some high end fabric and fancy embellishments. Hope this helps the craft minded ones.
The one at magicdrops.com is quick easy and breaks down into a small duffel bag.
aowhee
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of aowhee
Does anyone have a special programmable lighting system that you use in your act and would suggest?
Such as a lighting system that can be timed with the music track of my show when my light and sound people are not available.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I use a lighting "T-bar" tripod and slip some 3' cut PVC pipes over each side of the T-bar so it is adjustable (4' to 8' wide.) Then I simply slide on my preferred drapes (I use either 4"x8' antique crushed velvet or Nu-Lash drapes.) This only take about 2-3 minutes to set-up and tear down. If I need a larger stage, I have 2 T-bar tripods with an adjustable pole over the middle width (6' - 10') and 3'-4' on each side with PVC pipe for an additional 8'.

Dan.
Al Leach
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Al Leach
I was thinking about attaching one of those nice six foot repro silks to an Abbott's Jet Set Cover during a production. These covers seem very sensible and I was not aware that Abott's sold the covers until recently. Has anyone tried one out?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable Backdrop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL