The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thumb Tip Prep (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sigivert
View Profile
New user
New York City
47 Posts

Profile of sigivert
Hey guys, after getting Klause in concert awhile back, a lot of the routines made me want to get my hands on a soft tip. So I got one and it's really hard to come off. I've heard ideas where you place a large coin into it and then into hot water but I think I remember those tips applying towards hard tips. anyone have any other ideas on how to make your tip a bit more friendly? Smile also I would ask about the coloration but yeah, I just dig showing your hands empty with the tip towards them. Any other tips in general about this sorta thing would be greatly appreciated! Smile
morrison
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of morrison
I recommend the hard tip only. If you sweat, even a little, the soft tip makes the weirdest "plop" noise as it comes off! Smile
sigivert
View Profile
New user
New York City
47 Posts

Profile of sigivert
Yeah but much of Klause's work utilizes the softness of the tip. I could work around another way to hold the bill and tip in one finger but hey trying to find a solution to this wouldn't hurt as well Smile
Pinky
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of Pinky
I'd recommend calling your local dealer. There are hundreds of different TT on the market and, unless you have overly large hands, you should be able to find on that fits better.

I used to work in a magic shop and I never heard of anyone needing to expand a soft tip (admittedly, I don't know exactly why the soft tip is needed though). I've always just used a hard Vernet too...and I've done both routines that I remember from the Klause tapes (billswitch and sponge to sleeve).

-Dave Cross
Dave Cross

"The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you're pretentious."
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Try this: Put a little baby powder or talcum powder in it and shake it around with the end pinched closed. Then dump out the extra and you should be left with a fine coating on the inside. This should make it easier, but it will have to be redone often.
Zach Allen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Zach Allen
I find that the hard tip is easier to work with and that it allows for more natural motions, as from time to time the soft tip will get sticky and not leave your finger easily.
Check out all 6 of my e-books!
The Magic of Zach Allen

Also, here is a free PDF of ideas:
Starlit Circles
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I purchased Dean Dill' s "Intimate Miracles", and he describes how to widen the tip. You use boiling water or heat the water in the microwave, and put the tip in for about a minute. Then take it out and use another tip and push it inside the heated one causing it to widen. Then cool it off in cold water while the other tip still inside. I find that this works great. I've had to use this technique for a D'lite, Gaeton Bloom's flying ring and others. Of course with a D'Lite do not submerge it into the water all the way.
Hope this helps.
Rich B.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Hank Moorehouse sells a really nice vinyl tip: $4 US. Soft, easy to handle -- I'm experimenting with it. Works for what I'm using it for. People could burn my hands and not notice it -- very realistic.
magic hands
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
176 Posts

Profile of magic hands
Alan..what is the link to get that T/T?
Thanks,
Don Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Hank Moorehouse can be reached through abbottmagic.com. I don't think that he has his own site.
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
That's a good site with a nice selection of professional stuff, but I can't believe they dont have a search function!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Vinyl, hard, soft, whatever! Take a pin, heat it and poke 1 - 2 holes in the very tip.

Taa - Daah! No more suction problem.

Cheers!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
I prefer using the hard tip, they're just easier for me. Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I definitely prefer hard tip for cigarette vanish. I even preferred the original hard tip d'lites. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
JoshBlum
View Profile
New user
California
47 Posts

Profile of JoshBlum
I would have to recommend the King Tip. I own one of these thumb tips and think that it works great.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Does anybody here have a flip tip? I love mine, it is a great idea. You can make a silk, coin, glitter, or just about anything that will fit in a thumb tip appear SINGLE-HANDED! You can pull a sponge ball out of someones ear with an empty hand. There are hundereds of tricks and effects that can be done with it, it is a grat idea.
amazingboz
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of amazingboz
I have never heard of a flip tip! Please email with more info. Wow! What next a left handed tip!
AmazingBoz Smile
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
I can vouch for Stanyon's advice about the holes in the tip, but I put them at the cuticle line at the start of the nail. This way you can still have liquids in the tip.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Rich B. explained how to widen a tip but I wonder if you can shrink one using the same method. I have a small thumb and find I often have to use a ladies tip. The only problem is it doesn't have the capacity to hold a large silk. Any ideas?

Scott
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
Hi Sigivert,
Regarding showing the hands with tip. Long ago I read Slydinis handling of the TT. He suggested (once the TT is stolen) show your hand with TT open but for shortened and say:
"watch." There is no reason to be suspicious of this hand since the other one is supposedly holding the object and, frankly, that is the one that is getting most of their attention. At this point you can even go to your pocket for magic dust without suspicion thus ditching the TT. I seldom ditch the TT but for the faint hearted it is a good technique.

The TT is indeed a powerful weapon. With good technique it is hard to beat.
Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thumb Tip Prep (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL