The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Mentalism/Hypnosis in a restaurant? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1743 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I was curious to know if anyone has gone this path of purely mentalism and or hypnosis in a restaurant setting.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
834 Posts

Profile of RileyG
You are getting sleepy, now eat your desert and tip me a $100... Sleep, sleep, sleep...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
morrison
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of morrison
I have - not hypnosis, but mentalism. If you can hypnotise somebody who just wants to get on with their meal, while music plays in the background, waiters are dashing around, and there is a constant clattering of plates and cutlery... you're a genius!

The same goes for mentalism. God knows, any mentalist approaching a table while I was enjoying a meal and a chat with friends and loved ones would get short shrift indeed! Magicians can just about get away with it... somebody getting me to draw pictures and sort through zenner cards? Not a chance!
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Mark Strivings does "Walk-around" mentalism. I would look into his books.

I think mentalism could be successful in a restaurant setting, but as Morrison alludes to, it would have to be to the point. I did have one magician at a pizza place open his performance for me with a book test! The effect wasn't bad, but it took sooo long to get to a payoff.

I think that mentalism addressing themes such as love, horoscopes, compatibility, the future, personality readings, etc., would have great appeal. Good luck.
NelsonMon
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of NelsonMon
I think a great mentalism routine to do would be to bend silverware, similar to Banachek's at the end of his PK Silverware video.
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1191 Posts

Profile of Banachek
there was a time when I worked 4 restaurants in Houston, my only work at the time and all I performed was close up mentalism. It does work but be aware it must also be such that if the noise level goes up, you can still perform with little or no patter.

Banachek
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi,

I do perform close-up mentalism mostly in restaurants, and based on my personal experience, here are a few tips, for what they're worth:

1. Make sure that you are advertised as a Mentalist, not as a Magician, so that the customers do no bring the kids to see a sponge ball routine. Your introduction and the way the audience will perceive you will be greatly facilitated by a proper advertising.

2. One of the appeals of close-up magic is the intimacy and the interactivity of the performance. To go back to the above mentioned sponge balls routine, the best part for the audience is the part where the balls multiply IN THEIR OWN hands. I consider mentalism as the MOST INTIMATE and INTERACTIVE form of magic; this is why I think that mentalism is very weel suited for close-up work.

3. Mentalism being essentially a propless art, it fits the restaurant setting, where tables are often cluttered. You need quite some room to perform properly a Cups and Balls routine, or a Matrix effect. Reading minds, with a center tear for example, does not require any space at all (except mental space...)

4. Even more so than with general close-up, it is important to start with a piece that will:
a. position you as a mentalist, not a trickster
b. immediately grab their attention
c. be presented in a non-threatening way; because of the intimacy involved, you don't want to be perceived as a threat. Gentleness is always important in magic; it is AN ABSOLUTE MUST in mentalism.

5. Following on Banachek's comment, I think that upscale restaurants, which are generally less noisy, are better suited than some sort of noisy chain of restaurants. Don't ever try mentalism in a place like a Hard-Rock Café, where nobody can hear what you say (assuming that they are interested at all in what you have to say...)

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1743 Posts

Thank you very much for all of your thoughts.

As for an opening effect to grab attention that is sure fire and establishes you as a mentalist - what would you suggest?
Pinky
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of Pinky
I'd probably start with something like Max Maven's Contimental. Think of a word and I'll tell you what it is. By using something like this, it doesn't require them to right anything down and you're right into the effect. You give them a limiting choice now (while using Kenton Knepper's deletions technique) and later you can bring out the paper and have them right down ANY word.

-Dave Cross
Dave Cross

"The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you're pretentious."
petrakos
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of petrakos
I've used some of the Mark Strivings Walk Around Mentalism with success. It really depends on the restaurant - a quiet place with a low-key atmosphere seems to produce the best effect.
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi again,

To introduce yourself and position yourself as a mentalist (vs a trickster), I'd recommend anything that includes a reading (even a short one).

A simple picture duplication will do for example, as long as a reading is delivered BEFORE you duplicate the drawing. Of course, the reading will have to be relevant to the drawing to reproduce.

Or a simple prediction effect, also based on a reading of the subject.

The reading seriously increases the level of intimacy of the performance, and it gives an acceptable(?) explanation to the miracles you are going to perform.

If you check in this forum, you will find many suggestions for specific experiments to carry out along those guidelines.

Hope this helps a bit.
Best regards,
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1743 Posts

I wanted to do a follow up and let everyone that I have been rather successful in the restaurant setting! It has been a wonderful experience. I've been working this current restaurant for the past six months doing pure mentalism/hypnosis based effects.
Here is what I've found:
Pseudo-Psychometry routines provide interest among a small or large table. Everyone seems very interested - this goes along the lines of doing a reading, it has high appeal. People enjoy hearing about themselves.
Bending metal, very visual, everyone sees and feels something happening. Also it gets attention from multiple tables, AND leaves something with them to remember you by - besides a business card.
Also mentalism provides a medium in which one is able to use everyone at a table at once. The table size doesn’t matter.

I wanted to thank all of you again for writing in with your ideas. Thank you again!

George Tait
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Eric & Banachek,
Do the same basic rules apply to mentalism in restaurants as close-up, i.e. like havinf an opener, a middle, and a strong closer ?

Also, how do you handle repeat guests ? If you give them a reading one week what happen the next ? Or do you give them partial readings like one week health, the next emphasize money ?

And could you just suggest a few specfic effects that would work well together in sequence ?

Thank you. - Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Banachek
View Profile
V.I.P.
Houston
1191 Posts

Profile of Banachek
I would have to say no, often you are working while people are talking around at the other tables and sound is hard to hear, so it really depends upon your environment as to whether you can weave a story or not.

I try to do very different seperate effects when I walk around. The only rule I find is to have a quick amazing opener so that they are willing to let you set up other effects you might perform for them. Other than that I mix and match. I usually do a set type of routine (in a certain order) of effects as that makes it easier for me to know what I have done and to work at a smoother pace. If anything I think of it as leaving things out rather than adding things in, if that makes any sense.

One other thing, is if you are working for tips you might want something that is very strong when you close and sort of hints without directly asking for money. For instance, using a one, a five or a ten dollar bill or all three for a routine. They just may hand you one of them when you are done since it is already on the table.

I would be very careful about beinding the silveware that belongs to a restaurant. People will want to keep them and the restaurant may get upset at you destroying thier silverware. Better to carry your own and state "the restaurant gets upset if I bend thiers" if you want at the end, bend on of the restuarants to show you can bend theirs but straighten it and say "sush, just did that for you guys don't tell them" that way they will feel special.

Smile
In thoughts and Friendship
Banachek
Campus Performer of the Year two years in a row
Year 2000 Campus Novelty Act
PEA Creativity Award Recipient
http://www.banachek.com
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
834 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Mentalism must be held in HIGHER esteem than close up magic and balloon animals...

nuff said...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Banachek,
Thank you for the feedback, it is very appreciated.
I hesitate to even ask but... Are there specific lessons you learned from your mistakes ? And if you could have a single piece of advice carved in stone, say like Mount Rushmore, what would you pass along to the future of Mentalism performance ?
I may be drifting off topic but I was just thinking how many times it is the mistakes we make that really stick to us and shape what we do.
I can certainly understand if you chose not to make such things public but I also really want to learn.

With utmost respect, - Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1743 Posts

I must say I agree with Banachek.
I perform the strongest material I can. Of course I also play each table by ear on terms of what I do when, or if. If that makes sense. Also, when it comes to metal bending, it is best to bring your own and not use the restaurants. One, because people do keep the bent metal. And two, because you are bending it, and the management will look down upon this. I purchase 200 or so pieces at a time.
Advantages to buying your own:
You control how flexible the metal is
You control what it looks like, shiny vs. dull
You can also prepare the metal ahead of time, if so needed.
magician2121
View Profile
New user
Columbus,OH
35 Posts

Profile of magician2121
I believe Bill Gladwell also does pure mentalism and hypnosis at restaurants so you could emeail him at - Bill@BillGladwell.com
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20836 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why the recent rash of ancient threads being brought up?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Perhaps because the search engine is being worked on? I noticed this also.

Seriously, it may be to save bandwidth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Mentalism/Hypnosis in a restaurant? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL