The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card Splitting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
OK, I've faithfully followed the tutorial by Ben Harris

http://www.wowbound.com/split.html

I have the pieces of about 20 cards (front and back) piling up around my ankles... with not ONE complete face or back to show for it.

HELP! Any hints, nuances, encouragements???
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Look in the pick a card section under the topic - "can anyone split cards?"

Smile

Thanx,

Ichazod

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Ichazod@hotmail.com
fabio123
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
7 Posts

Profile of fabio123
for a complete free e-book on splitting cards go to
http://www.wowbound.com
and then in the tricks 2 do section, you'll find it there, it's by Ben Harris..

good luck

fabrice
Fabrice Lewis Fournier
fabricel@sympatico.ca
Restaurant Worker
V-P of the Outaouais' Association
of Magicians
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Dear Doc, Probably it is not your fault. Because every kind of cards can not be split. Especially "Piatnic" cards are rather easy to split. For your information.
P.S. As far as I know they do not have poker size, only bridge size.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Maynooth
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
105 Posts

Profile of Maynooth
Tora has certainly hit that on the head.

Good quality cards are made in what appears to be three layers (maybe more but three that can be easily distinguished) and the face and back papers are fairly easy to remove from the heavy card 'inner'.
With out trying to be an advert I've used Bicycles Smile and they split fairly well.

If I am looking for something that I just can't find I'll make my own but if the cards you're looking for are available I suggest buying them.

In the section Ichazod mentioned there is also the comment that the splitting isn't the hard part, it's the re-gluing them onto the 'new' card that gives grief Smile

It's worth a try though to appreciate the one's you buy more. Smile

cheers
Maynooth
The race is long and in the end it is only with one's self.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
I agree with Mynooth. I suggest you to buy if you can find them. If you are to make your own, For the re-gluing process I recommend Pritt or UHU Stick or alike ones. After you put them in the proper position put them under a heavy flat object, such as a book. But put them one buy one, never some of them together.
Leave them to stick well (a couple of days will be excellent, do not be in a hurry to use them. Then you may use them. They work but specially made ones are always better. Prefer to buy them.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
I've made many gaffed cards using Bicycle deck brand cards, and they've seemed to split quite well....I'd bought a version of Don England's Gaffed to the Hilt with the included gaffs, and didn't want to overuse and abuse those valuable originals, which prompted me to learn the craft myself...The most important lesson I learned myself is to be patient....Trying to rush things, you'll end up with torn paper every time..
Hannes
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Hannes
Hi,
There is a good description in splitting cards in "Expert Card Magic" of Hurad and Braue
Hannes
bdormer
View Profile
New user
Maryland, USA
49 Posts

Profile of bdormer
As an alternative to splitting cards - I find it odd that in this age of high technology, where anyone with a computer, scanner and a printer can make REALLY GOOD copies of just about anything (including money, if you have a nefarious bent), that nobody has come up with "playing card stock" that would feed thru an inkjet printer.

Scan whatever front and back you want, then print as many copies as you need. All it takes is the right card stock.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The problem really is getting the "real" card stock to print on.

I wonder about the chances of getting sheets of blank card stock from (not just blank cards, but larger sheets) from US Playing Ccard Co?

And with the cute little corner punches they sell in craft departments today, you can round the corners of the card stock very exactly.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Hey, that was cool! I had tried to split cards on my own unsuccesfully many times, but Ben Harris' let me actually accomplish this feat. *happy now*
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
bdormer--

I've done that, to make oversized packet tricks.

I scanned the cards at an enlarged resolution, reversed the image, printed it onto "t-shirt transfer" media, then ironed it onto white posterboard stock. Ones that are subject to lots of wear, I laminated.

Be aware that regular inkjet ink is NOT waterproof/smudgeproof. The iron-on media makes it a lot more durable.

Also, using Jumbo Index "masters" allows you to make smaller (5x7) "Giants" that are still readable from a great distance. Easier to handle than real Giant cards.

OK, OK, enough with the Hints from Heloise routine... I'll stop now!

BTW, since starting this thread in January, I have learned to split quite successfully.

I also built a small combination jig/press that makes alignment and gluing a cinch.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Card Splitting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL