We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » new announcement....can't read it » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1001 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Dear Café team,
Thanks so much for this place,,,really great.
I've been trying for several days to read the post about "Changes to the Café". Everytime the screen goes blank white, and my IE says that it is done, meaning finished being loaded. I must have tried about 20 times. Maybe if someone could just send me a PM with the details, I'd be super grateful.
Thanks JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
444 Posts

Profile of Gene
That's strange. It's just a post like any other. Is anybody else having this problem?

Here is the text of what I posted .....

Hello everybody!

You don't hear from me very often, but I am here now to tell you of the latest changes to the Café. I'm sure Steve will be around to explain things in greater detail.

First of all, we have pruned the forum's posts. We have moved topics from our first year to a read-only archive. You can find a link to the archive in the links block at the top of the Café.

Secondly, there is now a dedicated message board for previous Guest appearances. You may find the link to the freezer below the current Chef Special.

Thirdly, if you have encountered a "banned" message, we believe we have found the culprit - and the cure. If you encounter any more of those messages you feel you don't deserve ( Smile ), please feel free to send a PM to Steve, Mary or me.

Lastly, the changes weren't without some small sacrifice. During the process of moving posts, the last two day's worth of posts were lost. If you had posted a message on the 26th or 27th of November, your post could have been one that was lost. We are sorry for this inconvenience, but it was really beyond our control. The backup we took just prior to beginning the pruning process was corrupted, and at the size of the database at the time, it really was impossible to know if it was a viable backup. As it turned out, we needed the backup to restore data but it was bad. The last backup we had was from the 26th, so any posts made after that backup were, unfortunately, lost forever.

The good news is page access times are much better (up to 50% better in some cases). It remains to be seen if our efforts help with the reported problems of "page not found" errors, most notable in the search and PM areas, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for your patience during our "growing pains". But as you can probably tell, our growing pains will never go away!

Gene Brott
Café Forum Developer
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1001 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Thanks Gene,
That explains how one of my posts disappeared. Thanks for the hard work.
JoJo
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » new announcement....can't read it » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL