The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » opening lines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
What do you guys use to approach tables? What kind of first impression do you want to give?

Just looking for opinions. Smile

Regards,
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Pinky
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of Pinky
Jonathan,

There was a time when I opened by doing something visual and flashy but then one day I lost the prop (I was doing No.2 Pencil) and had to improvise.

Now, I walk up to the table, wait until someone looks at me, and say, "Hi." It's the easiest introduction you'll ever do.

After introducing myself, I'd do something non-card related. Everyone and their uncles does card "tricks." Start out by proving that you can do something else.

Most importantly, I try to make the guests the center of attention. Don't go in with a "look what I can do" attitude. Instead, try the "what might they like to see?" approach. By seeing what kind of mood they're in, you can better determine if you want to go really upbeat or if you need to tone it down.

-Dave Cross
Dave Cross

"The problem with being better than everyone else is that people tend to think you're pretentious."
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
Thanks Dave. You make good points.
Anybody else?

Regards,
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
"Hello. Would you like to see a magic trick?"

I always open with that. Just doing a trick was fine until one day I had somebody complain. She seemed to be a religious fanatic, so I finished, said thank you and enjoy your day. However, she felt inclined to tell the manager and he told me, of course. So now I always ask before starting to do a trick. That is when I'm working for tips though. If I'm doing an event where I am being paid by the house then I will just walk up and start the trick once I make eye contact.

Hope this helps.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Probably the best way to introduce yourself is to walk up to a table and introduce yourself!

Get them talking to you and let them see you in a non-threatening light; let them know that you work for the restaurant and are not some nut who wandered in off the street (but you really are some nut who works in the place); and, most important, give them the option to say, "No."

Never, ever, ever open directly with a trick.
Go back; read that sentence again; do it NOW!
Mostly, I will allow for opposing opinions, but not in this case: Opening with a trick is dead wrong on SO many levels.

One "name" magician hits a table with the line, "Did someone here lose a red pocketknife?" and then goes into the color-changing knives. I can hardly wait for the day, when he says, "Did someone here lose a red knife?" and someone at the table says, "Yes," grabs the knife and pockets it, and resumes his or her conversation with others at the table without missing a beat.
Would serve the magician right!
Smile
Zach Allen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Zach Allen
One of the most important, and underrated things that you can do, is to smile. If you smile when you introduce yourself, they'll be more receptive to you. Smile

It always works for me.
Check out all 6 of my e-books!
The Magic of Zach Allen

Also, here is a free PDF of ideas:
Starlit Circles
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Tommy Wonder has a chapter just about approaching a table in his second Books of Wonder.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
irishmagic
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of irishmagic
I approach the table and ask everyone if they are enjoying everything so far. Then I say, "My name is Mike and I am the magician here. I was stopping by to see if you guys would like to see some magic and have some fun."

The most important thing, I have found, is not to come across as someone who thinks they are better than those you are entertaining. I always try to keep the image of a guy who is fun and knows some cool magic tricks. Hope that helps

mike
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I have to disagree with Peter, for the first time, on this one. I use a variety of techniques for approaching the table. If they seem friendly I introduce myself straight out.
But if I get that weird vibe from the table, you all now that feeling, I will do the wand or coat hanger from coin purse, then introduce myself. Sometimes you need to wow them first. Plus I made the purse myself for about two dollars with stuff from a craft store, so if they do take it, oh well, they get a ripped coin purse.

As for other notes on opening lines. I make it clear in my intro that I am employed by the house and tipping is not required. You don't have to say, "Don't tip me," (I Don't.) but use something a little more subtle. Most of the time people will tip anyway, but a lot of people are put off initially if they think they HAVE to tip. Make it an option for them and they are more accepting to the idea.

Awaiting the vengeance of Peter for disagreeing with him (he he he),

Mat
Jim Robinson
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of Jim Robinson
More important than exactly what you say is how you say it. Approach any table with a positive attitude and a smile but do know what you are going to say.

I know there is a debate about whether you should say "do you want to see a trick?" I have used this but it does give someone an opportunity to say "no." Remember, your would-be audience hasn't seen you before, doesn't know what to expect, and may feel threatened. If you ask this question then you must do so with an expection of an enthusiastic "yes." Convey your enthusiasm for your own performance and you'll often find it reflected back to you. With your body language and attitude promise an entertaining experience and then deliver on that promise with your performance.
Robinson.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.... He to who this emotion is a stranger ... is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert Einstein
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I would have to agree with Peter, even though so many books describe so many ways. And it's not just tables, it's any time. You have to remember that you are an entertainer that is there to make the experience more enjoyable. People dining out, or doing anything for that matter, don't always want you in the middle of their experience. If they do, let 'em have it, and make sure it's enjoyable. If not, let them be. Always ask them what they want.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
slap aces
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of slap aces
A professional might advise that it is your job to do all of the tables. "Turn-aways" should be extremely rare and your approach is an important part of your act.

"Do you want to see a magic trick?"

Expect people to say "no". If they don't, expect a percentage of your "yes" people to be simply polite.

You should approach the table looking to entertain. To do this you must be entertaining QUICKLY and POLITELY. No matter what your style, you must be likeable.

It is equally important that you do not give the audience an "out" before you get a chance to amaze them.

Your first trick should be quick, baffling and visual.

Your approach should be nothing more than:

"Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, if I could interrupt you all for just a moment, my name's Richard, and I am the magician here at Joe Blow's Pizza Gumball...."

This stops the conversation politely and firmly then states who you are. You now proceed to perform your first trick being careful never to give the audience the chance to say they are not interested.

If they are really not interested after the first trick either:

They will tell you.

You will sense it.

or

You need a new opening effect.

If people experience a good effect, they naturally want to see another, unless they have more pressing business, they don't like you, they are not in the mood or are simply not nice people.

Most of the time they will be happy to see some good magic in person.
JohnMartin
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of JohnMartin
Peter, you slay me. I often thought the same thing. I'm just waiting for the poor soul to approach me with that line. (besides I really did lose my colour changing knife and could use a new one LOL)
After many years of fear in approaching tables or groups the best for me seems to be an honest smile and a "Hi guys my name is __________.Everyone having a good time? Great let me show you something....OR
Great I'm going to put an end to that right now...
I don't think you'll ever get a NO to "are you having a good time?"
John
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Get other tables to applaud for you. That makes approaching all the other tables much easier. They all want to see you because they have been hearing clapping all night!
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Pull a stream of coils from your mouth... JUST KIDDING, PETER!
I totally agree with what Peter said. Introduce yourself first, ask them how everything is going, explain that you are employed by the restaurant, and simply ASK if they would like to see some magic. Most people will say yes, but others will not. DON"T TAKE OFFENSE.

They aren't rejecting you because you are a bad performer or person (hopefully, LOL.) They may not care for magic or they may rather just sit and talk. It's not their responsibility to watch your magic. They are paying customers and deserve to do what they want with their time. They may be old friends that don't get to talk that often. You never know.

I've had many times when I ask if they want to see magic where the people obviously would rather not but are hesitant to say no, because they don't want to hurt my feelings. Give them the easy way out. I just say, "Well, if you change your mind I'm here every Friday. Thanks a lot. You all enjoy your meal." If you accept their answer graciously, every one will walk away happy.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Wise words from Peter. I don't care how well you perform ANY trick, it's you that has to be entertaining!
RayAnderson
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
41 Posts

Profile of RayAnderson
I open with this... I walk up to a group or a table look at them all say "Hi everyone you all look full of life and Enthusiasm" then I point to someone say and this guy is looking at me like a deer in headlights wondering who this idiot is" (I point to myself at this point.) I then say My name is ... and I am a magician that they dragged in here to amaze, confuse, delight, and anger the guests. I am curious if you would like to see some magic, (at this point I use either one of two lines) first one: they are going to pay me anyways... but they are a lot happier about signing my check if I actually work... I always find that strange.

Second line is: It's ok if you don't want to see any I have been paid.

I used this at resturants and now in my walk around for the following reasons:

One I am not asking if you want to see "some magic" I am letting them know that I have a sence of humour and that I don't take what I am doing to serious.

I am also letting them know that I have been paid for the work I am about to do. So they won't feel like they have to pay me ( I don't take tips anyway... but that is an other story.) Also when I say the amazed confused delight anger the guests... some people say you anger the guests... I say well many people see magic differently (which is basicly saying it is ok not to want to see any)

There used to be a time that I felt I had to show every person that I went up to a trick. But now that I am more carefree. The audience sees that and I am never turned away.

Remember the key to an opening line is to introduce yourself and what your about... and not shove a trick in someone's face. I agree with Peter M, let them know that your going to be fun and, if your fun, they will want to spend time with you. At that time knock their socks off.

Ray Anderson
Ray Anderson
www.coolmagician.com
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
According to Dilbert, the best opening line is:

"Hi, I'm Mel Gibson. Has anyone here seen my shirt?"

It seems to me that this would work best if:

a. The table consists of only women, and
b. You really are Mel Gibson.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Most often, I open by introducing myself AFTER asking if everyone is being taken care of and how they are enjoying themselves. If there is ANY problem, I get the appropriate person to come to the table and fix the problem right away (wait staffer, manager, bus person, whatever).

Then I tell them who I am and what I do there and explain, "Being a magician working here explains why I'm dressed like this. I didn;t want you to think I was a random, wandering oddball, so... shall we begin with one little bit of strangeness?"

On other occasions, when I'm pasing by a table and manage to catch someone's eye, I'll stop and say, "Cheer up! They could maye YOU dress for work like this!" Follow it with a gesture to the vest I wear and you get the idea...

Just some ideas that I've used for about 3 decades.... Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ShaunRobison
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of ShaunRobison
It's amazing how the same topics seem to pop up every few months or so! And we always seem to have newer and more exciting responses!!

I would like to mention that #1. Eye contact is important! and #2. Talk with the people first. Introduce yourself ask how everything is so far. Explain that you are hired by the management to entertain each table. I always start with something humorous so they relax a bit... For those who want it... here is one way I open when I approach a table..
"Hi folks, how is everyone doing so far?" "Drinks are good?" "I'm the entertainer here tonight hired by the management to do magic at every single table." "Which is very cool when there are people at them but when there's no one there it is kinda weird."
It gets them to understand that I am hired to entertain and they laugh at the "little" joke and sets them at ease..
Hope it helps and not just rambles on!!
Shaun R.
www.shaunrobison.com
Magic and Illustrations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » opening lines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL