The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much have you spent in magic ? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
$5,000-6,000 US
doulos
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, TX
61 Posts

Profile of doulos
I'd say over the years if we are talking all expenses - about 15-20k. May have been different had I not taken a 15 year leave from it.

Doulos
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
A lot-ooh this reponse is getting just a tad cliche, meh.
Anyways, when I started it out, it was relatively expensive but I was young so simply couldn't afford ridiculous amount, but I was simply buying tricks I like. This method of purchasing, carried on for about 5 years, but eventually as I started thinking more and more about magic, it didn't take me to long to realise that I had to perform magic that was a representation of me, as opposed to me fitting the tricks. It was at this point I started designing my acts, full blown routines, patter effects everything. I would then go out and find the effects I need to meet my requirements, and if this isn't possible sitting round brainstorming methods, before taking ideas of to get built for me. This is expensive, and oftem means I buty massive bulk orders. but I will then go 6-18months with out making another purchase. However it also means I can be safe in the knowledge that the majority of props will end up on a dusty shelf, before they pay for themselves.
Nick
Sherman Malachi
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Sherman Malachi
I've been doing magic close to 20 years now. I haven't spent on anything until recently. I have just spent about $2,000 (one shot) on expending my library. I think studying magic is most important in my cultivation. I'm always looking out for different performing views. I think understanding magic (not an easy feat though) make you more magical than you already are. Other than that, I think we should buy things that would increase the QUALITY of our repetoire,rather than the QUANTITY of it. In magic, the more does not lead to the merrier.

Yours sincerely
Sherman (www.powerfulcardmagic.com/blog)
Sherman Malachi
Improve your card magic at www.powerfulcardmagic.com/blog
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
Sadly I've spent thousands including accidently spending my gaffed coins. That really hurts!
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Yeah there is nothing like putting a 25$ magnetic quarter in a soda machine...

:)

I think I've spent a few million dollars, but hey your not buying the props after all, your buying the secret!

Good secrets are expensive I guess.

Steven
sullyman
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of sullyman
I have spent around $250 on magic. I have been starting to get a lot smarter though and have stopped wasting my money on stupid tricks and gimmicks and been spending it on good books.
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
191 Posts

Profile of Cheety
Good thing for me is I joined the magic Café before I started buying so I have only bought 2 books, I joined the magic club and they have a library, now I am assisting a proffesional so he gives me free lessons in return.
Mostly Harmless ^_^
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Just did a recap for tax purposes, so far this year I've spent $3,752.00.

Guess I should't have gone to the SAM convention.

Jim
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I have'nt tallied it up lately and I have only been back involved and spending my money and time in magic for the last 7 or 8 years. I believe I am somewhere around $2500-4000 bucks. No end in sight either but I am picky about what I do get as I have a show all figured out and plenty for close-up or walkaround gigs. But there's always new and cool stuff out there. I hope I never feel like "I have enough", "I don't want to do anything new", "I do what I do" blah blah blah.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
You guys are just starting to spend lets see last year? $4000 new levitation, $500 dancing spring tables, $200 silks, Just ordered cose to $10,000 on feather flowers, new sound system with Ipod and air click $1500, The list goes on.
so let me say this. first Just buying an effect off the internet is a gamble. you cant see it or judge it just of the video clip. remeber internet dealers have to make their stuff look good or they will go out of business. unless you KNOW what it is Buyer beware. so turn to the good ol brick and mortar shops. That doesn't mean just order from shops like barry's or denny and lee's That means go to the shop and have the routines demoed aqnd then buy with knowledge. Most shops (the ones mentioned included) build a relationship with you and know you they can therefore steer you in a good direction and save you thousands of dollars. The next stop is lectures and conventions. you get to see the products and make decisions based on knowledge not just a video of some guy Hopping backwards in baggy pants.
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
Quote:
On 2006-03-26 12:48, tigerman21345 wrote:
Just want to know how much have you guys spent in magic. I bought tricks/DVDs which I guess I've used about $600-$700. Well, that's so much money for me but use maybe 50% of them only.

I saw the trick/DVD in some demo video at some magic website and if I like it, I order it. I also bought some things which some people said it's excellent, but for me, it's not.... I must say I bought SO MUCH that I don't need and that does not suit me.

I dropped close to $200 last week to fill in a few missing books. I guess I'm old fashion this way because while I have an extensive library of magic books, I don't have one DVD on magic.
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
I haven't spent much but that's because 'Micheal Taggert' The guy above is my dad and he shares if I help him set up his shows and things like that.
Ashley
Ashley Taggert
moving up in the world of magic
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
When counting dollars, do you include the cost of conventions (registration, accommodation, etc)over the years? I'm attending MindVention this year. Travel from Australia, etc, totals to about $3000 fot two of us.

Richard
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Woah, Richard has a point. I forgot about Lectures and Conventions. I'd say I've spent about $2000 US. Give or take a few hundred. Though, between the resteraunt and private strolling and creating the Black Tigers...I've made much more than I've spent. And that number grows with each night hopping and each gig strolling. But there is a lot out there left to buy.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Phil Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Newark, Ohio
1117 Posts

Profile of Phil Thomas
How much have I spent on magic? I don't think I can count that high. Half the stuff that I bought I don't even use. I've also had to live on Ramen noodles because after I paid my bills first, I blew the rest of my paycheck on a magic shopping spree. Man, I'll never do that again....well, the wife won't let me do that again. Smile
"If we lose the sense of the mysterious, life is no more than a snuffed out candle."

Albert Einstein
solidoak
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of solidoak
It wasn't so bad back when I was really performing, but now that I've been a hobbyist/collector for the last 20 years... real bad news for the wallet. I just purchased three Wolfsmagic props (all of which are incredible) and that really adds up.

Seriously though, its the nature of the game. The field of magic is overflowing with talented and creative minds constantly inventing and improving effects... most of which are billed as the most amazing trick of the moment. It's difficult, but essential, to be patient in spending because there are also those who's effects don't live up to their press. It's easy to get caught up in the hype and shell out the cash for another drawer sitter.

That said, I'm still hooked on this stuff... and will have a tough time keeping the wallet closed when the next incredible version of the hundred dollar bill switch comes out.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
I started magic since I was 12 years old and now I am 16. So around four years is a good approximate. At first, I decided to take magic as a pure hobby, something that I would have fun with when I am bored, but this interest just keeps on growing and growing, and now I think I am too "over" it somehow. Well that's what my parents said, since school work is still my priority right now.

Best,
msc455magic
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
151 Posts

Profile of lhughes
I’ve always kept my spending in proportion to my earnings through magic. Magic is not my full time profession, but it is also not a costly hobby. If I wish to spend $300 on a magic trick then I need to make $350 in magic shows prior to this. My desire to have more gets me off my butt to do shows. As Barry Michell once wrote, you need to ensure you have the three P ‘s….Practice, Performance, and Publicity. Magic can become a fruitless search for the perfect trick without any real progress if you aren’t performing enough.
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1166 Posts

Profile of Russo
Spent a lot for Magic equipt. in the 50's60's <> now all worth 25 times. I'm 85, Started doing Magic in the late 50's to help support Mom and sis - I was 14 and we were a Welfare Family. Was advised by welfare NOT to entertain for a living. GREAT Advise - when I had my own family still did/do Magic and Vent as an ad-vocation.SF Valley -LA, Calif.Then N.J. then Florida. Regular Jobs PAID< Medical ,vacations, etc. Saved Gig $$. When retired (from WDW)in the 90's bought a Home and also now debt free. Traveled in our RV doing Shows all over the States.-P>S> in the early 60's, for a month, Wife and I assisted Ken and Bert Griffin in their Illusion Show, have a photo in their Book, and several photos of Ken & Bert in our den. Now, just retired, do small gigs now and then. Best to ALL . Ralph ROUSSEAU
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much have you spent in magic ? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL