The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing for magicians (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Allan has it dead-on. And so does robinson67 about new material. Jaime, go to a club meeting. Then do some Lee Asher (and whoever else modern) moves/sleights/tricks and you can fool magicians not in the know about modern stuff. A lot of people don't seem to know about this. Check Nathan Kranzo and Ryan Swigert for excellent modern material. =)

--Dave Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
And don't wear your feelings on your sleeve when perfroming for magicians.

If you get constructive criticism, take it to heart. And use it make yourself better. If you get encouragement, enjoy it and maybe save a little of it for when things arent going as well. And If you get a bad reaction that you dont think is justified, just listen, smile. And forget about it.

I recently showed a group of magicians some card fans that lay audiences have been swooning over, and they said; "Looks like a bad fan". Well, this particluar fan includes two direction changes and spreads a full deck wider than most other fans held in one hand. And it gets its name, (Waving flag fan) from the use of a with a flag fanning deck, where the spread of red/whitge/blue colors and changes of directions has lay audiences thinking it is marvelous!

But it is not a classic, eqaully spaced, perfect card fan. And that is what they measure fans by. So, I just smiled. I know why they said what they did, and I respect their opinions. But I think they missed the point.

So, I will continue to use the Waving Flag Fan for lay audiences as long as they continue to be amazed and enjoy it.

Magicians will call you out on some technical issues that lay audiences will never notice. And although I am all for pursuing technical excellence, I will not sacrifice audience appeal and a little different approach just because no other magician does it quite that way.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
SpiffnikHopkins
View Profile
Regular user
Washington DC
135 Posts

Profile of SpiffnikHopkins
in my exp magicians make for a firendly group of pewople to perform for. I think of it this way...they already know the method, so I have nothing to hide fomr them there. Done right or wrong, you're still not going to fool a real pro, so that shouldn't be your goal. You should be trying to demonstrate your presentation and style. Something you CAN'T screw up, b/c it simply IS you. Also, they've had the same rough auduences we have so they are more then willing to be a good audience member. If they know how annoying they CAN be, they won't be.

~Spiff
Mickey Cohen
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Mickey Cohen
Get Eugene Burgers Thought Sender. He created this effect just in case a magician shows up at the restaurant.It costs 10 bucks and will blow away any magician that doesn't own one and fortunately not too many do.Imagine having some guy do the brainwave deck card trick on you and then after showing you that the card you thought of is the only blue card in an all red deck he then hands you the whole deck and say "check em out" whoah
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Performing for magicians (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL