The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Peter Hurkos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Peter Hurkos, 77, a Psychic Used by Police

* Printer-Friendly
* Save Article

AP
Published: June 3, 1988

LEAD: Peter Hurkos, a professional psychic who sought clues in the murders for which followers of Charles M. Manson were convicted and in the Boston Strangler murders, died of a heart attack Wednesday, his publicist said. He was 77 years old.

Peter Hurkos, a professional psychic who sought clues in the murders for which followers of Charles M. Manson were convicted and in the Boston Strangler murders, died of a heart attack Wednesday, his publicist said. He was 77 years old.

Mr. Hurkos, born Pieter Van Der Hurk in the Netherlands, gained widespread attention in 1964 when Attorney General Edward W. Brooke of Massachusetts said he had come ''uncannily close'' to describing the person suspected of strangling 11 women in Boston. Mr. Hurkos also helped the authorities in the 1969 Manson case.

He had run-ins with the law as well and was convicted in Milwaukee in 1964 of impersonating an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Mr. Hurkos said he became psychic in 1941, when, while working as a painter, he fell from a ladder and suffered a brain injury.

He came to the United States in 1956 for psychic experiments, and lived in the Los Angeles area about 25 years.

He is survived by his wife, Stephany Courtney, their daughter, and six children from a previous marriage.
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2342 Posts

Profile of Doomo
...And?
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
ronald33
View Profile
New user
Hollywood
18 Posts

Profile of ronald33
And, HURKOS was one of the only psychics I know of,good enough to be registered
with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) of Los Angeles! (Not bad for a $200 invest-
ment in the early Seventies...I talked with him for 5 minutes via long-distance
phone;and then via a follow-up call 6 months later.)

As I recounted elsewhere,his predictions (perhaps non-obvious revelations of
natural law plus retroconitive insights into my own past-both which I wouldn't have known otherwise) saved my life;and informed me of certain personal decisions
(which have happened or can still happen).

BTW,Such checkable,non-obvious information which leads to other than a random
result,is the mark of a legitimate psychic...and there are very few of those
around nowadays!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Certainly a colorful person with an interesting history . . .
Cards never lie
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
How can you tell whether a result is random or not?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Woah, a post from Slim...creepy.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
If he was such a psychic, how come he could not know when he was going to die, and get some medical help for his condition?

Hmm?

This is such malarkey.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
Hurkos was a lot of things, but psychic wasn't one of them. He mainly liked to bend an elbow.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
That and the truth, to be sure.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
ronald33
View Profile
New user
Hollywood
18 Posts

Profile of ronald33
Dear Carrie Sue:

You're being overly skeptical,leaning towards an "Amazing Randi" frame of mind.

Back up,and be reasonable: No,psychics CANNOT predict the date of their own
death,because of something called Free Will. This means that the future is not
predestined,but can be changed.

When a client's (Mr. Belk's) daughter died,Hurkos was known to say "I did not see
death". HURKOS had amazing powers,but he was not God. He could not see everything
and he even admitted it!

Dear Muckey Speen:

No,HURKOS' work was documented,he was NOT fake! There's no accounting how he
could,for example,do map dowsing and find a remote location of a crashed airplane
(for a military General,no less) by accident. Sure,he had his failures...but his
successes were astonishing,and still,to this day,can't be explained by "rational"
means. Which means,a "real" psychic could do things NOT possible by magic trickery.

HURKOS was,of course,discovered by a scientist (the late Dr. Andrija Puharich.)
Dr. Puharich also discovered another psyhic,Uri Geller. Mr. Geller's powers were
once ridiculed by the "Amazing" Randi;however,a British court decided in favor of
Mr. Geller (after seeing scientific evidence).

But,HURKOS (and a gentleman named Gerald Croiset) were the forerunners of today's
modern psychics.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Phony.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
Ronald -
I'm not going to school you in critical thinking - there's no point. Puharich was a notoriously gullible academic who never saw a psychic he didn't believe in. If you still think Geller's real, maybe you should take a look at these videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w7jHYriFo

By the way - there's no such thing as being "overly skeptical."
ronald33
View Profile
New user
Hollywood
18 Posts

Profile of ronald33
But though the late Dr. Puharich was somewhat of a "hippie"...that DOESN'T
discredit all his work...and the many legitimate things HURKOS; and even
Uri Geller,and others,did!

There was ANOTHER scientist involved at times, Dr. Edgar Mitchell...the former
Apollo astronaut! Dr. Puharich wasn't the only one testing these two psychics
out...A gentleman named E.Douglas Dean actually wrote a book called "ESP in
Business" and then,there was the late Harold Sherman.

Yes, I've heard of the infamous YouTube video...but,"Randi" is not reasonable.
No amount of evidence could sway him. Randi's stuff got on U.S. TV because,the
British courts don't hold such power in the U.S.A. But,of course,in Britain,
it was considered libelous.Mr. Geller was out of line,of course,trying to remove
the video,because,here in the States,it was considered "fair use".

With all the evidence for the existance of ESP and psychic phenomena,Randi STILL
is unreasonable. But this is an ongoing controversy.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3313 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Statistical anomalies and personal anecdotes do not constitute scientific evidence.

I'm an open minded skeptic, and I (semi) regularly perform experiments to probe my own intuitive/psychic nature. It's taught me a lot about my inner self, and I am very happy with that; however... Could I say with any honesty that anything I've experienced would qualify as a genuine psychic phenomena? I don't think so.

But does that mean the whole psychic thing doesn't exist? No. My sampling is very small (just me) and my subjective experiences simply don't count- no matter how insightful and poignant they are (or aren't) to me.

People like Randi, who are so quick to judge and who have an agenda to fulfill, do us all a great disservice in the name of science and enlightenment.

PS- as an aside that's a more interesting question to me- why then, in the face of no conclusive evidence or proof (in the admittedly short amount of time scientific method has been available to humans) does the belief in psychic phenomena persist?

To say that people are "stupid" does not shine a light on the subject, either.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 15:53, gaddy wrote:
People like Randi, who are so quick to judge and who have an agenda to fulfill, do us all a great disservice in the name of science and enlightenment.

I believe Randi does a great service. There are already too many people willing to accept bogus claims of psychic phenomena. Randi reminds everyone that without proof these claims are to be dismissed. We need more skeptics, not fewer. Asking people to back their claims of psychic phenomena is not a disservice. It's the starting point in discussing psychic phenomena and least that should be done.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Hi Slim!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
ronald33
View Profile
New user
Hollywood
18 Posts

Profile of ronald33
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 16:41, Slim Price wrote:
Peter Hurkos, 77, a Psychic Used by Police

* Printer-Friendly
* Save Article

AP
Published: June 3, 1988

LEAD: Peter Hurkos, a professional psychic who sought clues in the murders for which followers of Charles M. Manson were convicted and in the Boston Strangler murders, died of a heart attack Wednesday, his publicist said. He was 77 years old.

Peter Hurkos, a professional psychic who sought clues in the murders for which followers of Charles M. Manson were convicted and in the Boston Strangler murders, died of a heart attack Wednesday, his publicist said. He was 77 years old.

Mr. Hurkos, born Pieter Van Der Hurk in the Netherlands, gained widespread attention in 1964 when Attorney General Edward W. Brooke of Massachusetts said he had come ''uncannily close'' to describing the person suspected of strangling 11 women in Boston. Mr. Hurkos also helped the authorities in the 1969 Manson case.

He had run-ins with the law as well and was convicted in Milwaukee in 1964 of impersonating an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Mr. Hurkos said he became psychic in 1941, when, while working as a painter, he fell from a ladder and suffered a brain injury.

He came to the United States in 1956 for psychic experiments, and lived in the Los Angeles area about 25 years.

He is survived by his wife, Stephany Courtney, their daughter, and six children from a previous marriage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Peter Hurkos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL