The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tilford's Walk Away 21st Century Suspension » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davemen
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
16 Posts

Profile of davemen
Anyone have any experience with it? It looks pretty good.

Can it be used for traditional photo shoots without the board and without the supports? (Can I use it like a traditional super-x and use my leg to cover the bar?)

Any guidance on whether to buy it or not? (Given I'm a 1-man show so the 3-in-1 won't work for me.)
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I looked at one of them several years ago and wasn't overly impressed. It's built by Jim Sommers. I called Doug Tilford and he gave me the name and number of someone who owned one. The owner graciously let me check it out.

Here were the problems: The uprights are made of corrugated plastic so they're very flimsy. The roller platform sagged when weight was put on the board. The casters were really cheap ones. I didn't really check out how much it could really support.

I ended up purchasing a Harbin Walk-Away Suspension (Super-X Plus) built by Gandolf Enterprises. It cost a lot more but was much better made. (Similar in style to the Blaney 3001 Suspension, although the gimmick is different.) Unfortunately, the builder died a short time after I purchased it, so I don't know anyone building the Harbin version. (The plans are in The Harbin Book.)

I wouldn't recommend buying the 21st Century Suspension without checking it out in person first.

Michael Messing
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
A friend of mine had 21st CS for a very short period of time and his advice was never to get one. Look into Blaney Suspensions.
Sent from my Typewriter
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You guys are right. I know what you mean because I purchased one about 7 years ago. I only used it once. Since you reminded of it, I might put touch-ups on it for improvement.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Dave, I hate to be critical in these forums however sometimes the truth must be told. This is a waste of money. I bought one many years ago, from Tilford, and it was basically garbage. Did I get what I paid for? Yeah, pretty much. NOT misrepresentation on Tilford's part, it was just fabricated and designed at MINUMUM standards. Save some money and find a recommended higher quality version.
Chance
Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
davemen
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
16 Posts

Profile of davemen
Would you believe I purchased one used on Ebay? (I thought, I was buying an Abbott's Super-X) and you guys are exactly right. Now I'm stuck with this horrible piece of junk. -Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tilford's Walk Away 21st Century Suspension » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL