The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lighting cues synced with the music (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sb
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of sb
What I want to do:

Control lighting fixtures (moving and traditional) from an audio source. Basically the audio cues would be imbedded in the audio.

Is this accomplished with MIDI? If so, all I know is the name - I don't know anything about that technology.

Any help here would be great.

thanks
Scott
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I researched for over a year after buying my first DMX fixtures how to sync them with music. The basic DMX controller I got with one package of lights only let me program "chase" sequences and the speed was controlled by a slider. This setup was not even close to allowing me to sync lights with sound. After a year of researching, a Café member pointed me to some hardware and software which is PERFECT!! It's called Compu-Ware Pro made by a company called Elation. What's even better was this Café member was also a user of software/hardware and used it in his illusion shows. His name is Kevin and uses the handle Living Illusions. Heres the LINK to his member page so you can send a PM. Besides being able to PERFECTLY sync the lights to the music, you can also control multimedia files in perfect sync as well. I don't own a projector (yet), but it's next on my list.

Kevin also helped me with the best hazer. It's called "Unique Hazer2" and I just got it last week. I have played around with this professional hazer and I must admit, Kevin did it again! This thing is amazing and really addes to the theater experience as well as bring out my lights.

You can see the old topic HERE
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
O.K., maybe this is the perfect time and place for me to ask this, as I have been told several different things. What I want to do is very similar to the above question: I want to program 4 intelligent fixtures with, say, the "Freekie". I have been told that I can program my lights and fine tune it so that it fits with the music. What I need to be able to do is, at the appropriate time, hit "play" (or whatever the equivalent is) and let the controller play back my program, which of course would fit perfectly with the music. Now, I know that the controller will remember the sequence of moves, color changes, etc., but does it also do timing as would be necessary here? I would need to program something like, "White light here, 4 second pause, slowly pan left, turn blue, 3 second pause, quickly pan right, 2 second pause, etc.". I want to be able to run this at the touch of a single button (or will I need a lighting person no matter what?). Does the Freekie or any other controller have this capability? Thanks!
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Phil...
The freekie will record a scene..although it has the bare minimum options. Also if you have an intelligent light with more than 12 channels you are outta luck.
To answer your other question, yes there are controllers out there that can do what you need. Even a lower end NSI board would be better suited for your needs than the freekie...the freekie is mainly designed for DJ's to 'spin' live their lights like they do music.

Also, you will need to have the lights set up and program in real time absolutely everything to get what you need. If you get a controller than has screens and a 3D visualizer or WYSIWYG then you can program pretty much the entire show from your home and fine tune it at the venue. The other option is for software based controllers, such as Light Jockey, Compuware or Hog PC.

Hopefully that helps.

kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lighting cues synced with the music (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL