The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Twist Off By Peter Lougrahn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
http://www.tilfordillusions.com/twistOff.html

that's the link... Come on guys does anyone seriously think this is deceptive? The video and pictures are AWFUL. Has anyone purchased this? I am curous how you have felt. But based on the photos the pants are not deceptive. It looks like Modern Art in its begining stages.......
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Brandon, You're right, the pics do not do the illusion justice, not to mention on Tilford's site the pics are low res for some reason and very grainy.

One thing the pics do not show is that you can see clearly through and right between the legs right out the other side durring the illusion. In the pics all you see is the black background.

The other thing is that the demo and the photos were at shot very close range, and it really is designed to be done on a stage. The inspiration for this illusion did come from Jim Steinmeyer's modern art. But the legs can be dressed any way you want. When the illusion was being built it was being built for someone else so the legs didn't quite match up with the assistant I used in the video and the photos.

Finally one other feature that is not showcased in the ad is the fact that when the girl is pulled away from her torso, you can actually hear it rip away, its so cool!

I have had great reactions with the illusion on stage! But ofcourse you would expect me to say that too since I created the illusion, so Iunderstand you have to take that at face value.

Im sorry you don't like the illusion or think it is deceptive enough for your taste. But I don't think the chair suspension is deceptive for instance, and some others do, so it all really boils down to presentation, personal taste and how you perform an illusion. In some hands one illusion is gold, while in others an effect can bomb. Its how you build your audience's perception around the illusion, and don't forget, we as magicians look at magic props and their respective deceptiveness much different than laymen do.

Thanks for your comments Brandon. I love to hear all feedback on my creations. I just wished you spelt my name right Smile

Best,

Peter.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
Hey there Peter. Thanks for replying. I mean no disrespect you I just honestly feel this still needs work. I pmed you on this.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Its all good!
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
Peter, you mentioned that the legs "can be dressed any way" does that include having the legs "bare" or with leotards on them?

I do like the "ripping" sound concept. Usually the only sound effects in a separation illusionis the sound of a saw or a falling blade.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Just remember, that a lot of the deceptiveness of an illusion is created through your patter. I don't own it, but personally I feel that Twist Off is an awesome illusion. If you want to see better images of the illusion you might want to go to Peter's website http://www.masterofillusions.ca . He also has a performance video there if you want to get a feel for what it looks like in performance.

Nick Fox

PS: Peter, I can't wait until you debut Light Speed.

PPS: I just checked out your website and saw Rain Maker. Do you ever stop creating. Sheesh! Give some of the rest of us a chance to be creative, will you?
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
RealDeal JU
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
375 Posts

Profile of RealDeal JU
Now with Rain Maker, is that able to be performed outside?

Jim
"Challenge yourself to come up with your own

material, rather than buying into the idea that

you have to do the same thing that everyone

else is doing to be a good magician."
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Peter- I spotted the poor-quality .gif on Tilford Illusions a while back as well, but didn't want to say anything that might be taken in the wrong manner. If I were you, I'd ask them to pull that image and video till you can replace it with one that does your illusion justice- from what it shows, it looks unrehearsed, ineffective, and not worth the money you're charging- I know you do great work, it's just that the video makes it look messy.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
Why would you release photos and a video of an illusion that is not yet finished? When there are many builders out there to choose from, I would think you would want to only release things that are ready to be performed.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Hi Guys thanks for your comments. Braintrust, the illusion is finished. It was just shot close up and not on a stage where it should be. Not to mention the legs were dressed for someonelse. The unit we built was for another magician's TV show, we didn't have a lot of time with the prop before we shipped it out, I just wanted to get the basic idea down for our other clients, so they can see the potential in the illusion. We have sold a few of these now, and we have been very pleased with the feedback. Once you learn how the effect is accomplished and understand the gimmick which are some things we discuss with serious buyers, the design makes much more sense and you would realize it would look great on stage with the proper leg dressings etc. I agree with you guys however and do plan on replacing the video, we are actually awaiting a video of it in action from one of our buyers who has promissed to send us a video of it in action during his show.

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
Thanks for the reply. I look forward to seeing the new photos and video
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Looks great to me, early version and all that.

Peter's work is impressive all around.

Steven
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
Interesting Haywire, what parts are deceptive to you?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I agree with the first post - no disrespect intended. Looks pretty lame. Maybe I'm just "too close" to all this stuff.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Hey Guys, please understand I know not everyone is going to like all of my effects or illusions. So please do not worry about the disrespect issue. I greatly appreciate you guys mentioning that, but I totally understand. Some like it some don't. that's a fact I have to face when you submit an item to the open market, anyone can come on and tell either hate or praise and effect. I accept the fact that some may like an effect while others will not. But don't worry about the disrespect thing, although it nice of you to mention it, you are certainly entiled to your opinions, and we love to hear from all of our peers whether it be good or bad. I thank everyone for their comments. My very best to all of you.

Peter.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Well I promised you guys a video from an actual live performance.

I introduce Ahmed El Bayed, most of you will recognize him as one of the preimere illusionsists from the middle east. His credits are long and anyway, he was the illusionist Twist Off was first built for.

He has a video of the illusion in his live theatre show.

And on a side note he also has videos of our Shadow Box in action during his show as well as my Iron garotte on a television spot.

Here is the link to his website to view the performance videos filmed durring his actual stage show.

http://www.ahmedshow.com

From here I hope you guys will realize how deceptive the illusion really is in a live show on a stage, and not filmed from 2 feet away in a tiny little studio.

Best and enjoy!

Peter.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Twist Off By Peter Lougrahn (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL