The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic magazines - any advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ididit
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of ididit
Hello

I am new to magic and recently subscribed to 'magic' magazine. Is this the best?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

s
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Just a quick note, in magic there is no best, just your personal favourite!

Magic and Genii are probably the most popular. (though I could be wrong) They both have there own benefits. I would reccomend looking into Genii also and read both! There are many others though, Anatomy, is one of them. They are all worth looking into.
Tarbell!
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1021 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
If you are at an age to join the S.A.M., MUM, the official publication of the organization, has lately seen some nice improvement throughout. I currently subscribe to MAGIC, and let my GENII subscription expired, so I guess that tells you over my current preference.
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
I subscribe to both Genii and Magic and must say Magic is a little better but Genii is catching up. Genii has more extensive articles and is now in color and since Mr. Kaufman took over it, on time except when Dante Larsan was running it.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3411 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2006-04-01 12:05, jwebyra wrote:
I subscribe to both Genii and Magic and must say Magic is a little better but Genii is catching up. Genii has more extensive articles and is now in color and since Mr. Kaufman took over it, on time except when Dante Larsan was running it.

Genii was late even when Bill Larsen was Editor, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer...but that was tradition! They used to go by the slogan "Always late, always great!"

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
Mr. Stanyon,
You are right sir, when Bill Larsen ran it you would never know when the next issuse would come out. I remember getting on issue one day then the next issue the next day then who knew. When his step son Dante took over it came every month until his half sister took over and a years subscription took two years to complete. Now it takes a year to complete a years subscription.

Ron
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
You may want to check out the New "Abraca-Pocus" The magic magizine for your dvd player. It is 30 a year right now. It comes out every quarter. I am kind of bias towards this one because I actually do an interview on the first one. HEHEHE.
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Where can I find that Corey?

I have the Magic Magazine, and I love it! Very well written!
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
http://horizonmonster.com/abracapocus.html . That is the temporary address, Michael just put it up real quick. There you can read a bit more about what it is all about. I think it is a heck of a deal and it is great quality. You should also be able to check out a review of this first "Teaser" DVD at http://www.gomagicgo.com with in the next week or so I would imagine.
F-Hmagic
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of F-Hmagic
I have been wondering about magazines myself. Planning on asking for subscriptions for the next holiday when people give me stuff... Smile I suppose that I'll become impatient and end up ordering them myself, however. I've heard good things about both Genii and Magic, though I will do some more research before I actually spend the money.
What?! How'd that get there?!
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Take into consideration that both Genii and Magic are focusing on intermediate and advanced magicians. One of the best magazine is also Antinomy.

All materials are valuable and different.
Smile Smile Smile
solidimageartsllc
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
176 Posts

Profile of solidimageartsllc
Are either of these magazines preferable to magicians who prefer sleights over stage? -Dan
Take infinite pain to make something look effortless - Michelangelo
Tyler_magic_skater
View Profile
New user
Florida
26 Posts

Profile of Tyler_magic_skater
The Linking Ring is one of my favorites
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
Sorry for being a little late, but thanks for the links Corey!
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Linking Ring and Magic are great. For some reason, I always forget to pick up a Genii and see what it's like when I go to the magic store, so I don't know about Genii

Michael
Art-Fantasy
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
169 Posts

Profile of Art-Fantasy
I like Genii better although I read both genii and magic. However, magic has the advantage on its website to show the tricks from the magfazine on the videos while genii does not.
TannerJade
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
307 Posts

Profile of TannerJade
I have the Magic Magazine, and I really enjoy reading it every month...

I am not sure, but I think it would be better for a beginning magician, someone please correct me if I am wrong!

-Tanner
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
I only subscribe to Genii. It's really well done. I'm thinking of adding Magic Magazine when I have the funds. I also get Antinomy. One of the best magazines you can subscribe to.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
One of the best magic magazines, MUM, free with your membership to the Society of American Magicians. I love this magazine and it has a ton of stuff each month!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Edith
How about magic magazines in other languages like French, German, Russian?
Does anybody have experiences with them compared to the ones in the English speaking world?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic magazines - any advice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL