The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Emergency case? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Hello,

How many of you guys have an emergency magic case in their vehicle?
What does it carry?
How often do you use this?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Magically Yours,
Magical Odyssey
Marien Hopman
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Marien Hopman
About 5 years ago..I did a corporate picnic. After the show the owner came up to me and said, "Do that cigarette through quarter thing and a few of those dynamite card tricks...for that guy (he pointed him out). I had nothing...and I mean nothing of that nature with me. So I ended up doing cigarette ash's in the hand and some card stuff with a deck of cards they finally found from World War 2.
A few weeks later at Abbott's I was talking with an old friend Obie O'Brian and he informed me to put a little case of magic in the trunk of my car. I found an old microscope slide case at a yard sale and tore out the guts of it and replaced it with purple felt. Inside is a few deck of cards (gimicked and regular) thumb tip, sponge balls, some coins and other close up stuff. With the little case I can do over an hour of close-up. Works great for me and when asked "do a little magic" please. I'M READY.
Hope this helps..
Marien Hopman
CANADA
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Sounds good any one else?

Marien where in Canada are you from? I too am from Canada
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I have a little fanny pack (god I hate that term) that I've been carrying around lately. I mostly have it so that I can practice when I have a few minutes, but it has been handy for the occasional impromptu moment.

Contents:
Red bikes in a blue case with one blue card.
Rubber bands and stargazer band.
Ropes for professor’s nightmare.
Cardtoon.
Invisible deck.
Pen through bill.
Bent quarter (and regular quarter.)
Gaffed dollar bill to vanish a quarter.
And, as of today...my adorable new Mini Foxy cups from RNT II!!!!

-Daniel
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Thanx Daniel,

I have decided I am going to carry one..

I so far have in it,

Colour changing ball to jumbo square
Proffesors nightmare
2 decks of cards
something I have no clue what it is called
squareing the circle
20 balloons
Knife thru finger
Buisness cards...
And a couple smaller things ill be getting when I visit a magic shop again.
I only have a small case but once I get a bigger one ill probably put
wilting flower
popcorn dye box
amazing box and (once I ask mr.bill and he is okay with it ) his version of "multiplying tennis balls..

Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I'd like to have a dozen effects I could keep in an Altoids tin. (I love Altoids tins.) Of course, I'd have to also carry a deck of cards separately, but that's okay.
Any ideas on tiny, tiny tricks? Obviously some rubber bands, and maybe a couple of safety pins.
A thumb tip would probably fit in there, but I'm not very good with one.
What else?
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Some time ago I issued a challenge to some magic friends to see what could be gotten into an Altoids tin. The rules were simple. It had to all fit, and the lid had to close completely on it's own. It could not be held shut.

It was a fantastic exercise in thinking about what one does and figuring out multiple uses for the same prop. It made one truly give thought to the "packs small, plays big" concept.

After some thought and gathering many items together, then trial and error to see what would actually fit, removing some things to add others, then making sure the lid closed, I finally created my own "little" magic kit.

Mine contains the following: 5 rubber bands, a finger ring, hot rod, skeleton key, matchbook, round washer, nickel with a nail on it, a regular nickel, half dollar, a dollar bill, 2 paper clips, 3 toothpicks, a Keno game ticket, a mini Sharpie marker, several small post it note sheets, a crazy compass, and several mentalism effect "cue cards" or cheat sheets.

Wow...with these items, self contained in a closeable little Altoids tin, that easily fits in my pocket, or glove box of the car, I have enough stuff to do well over an hour of magic.

Think about it. Given the items I have in mine, what all can be done, again using the same item for different effects.

Give this some thought. Get yourself a tin and see just what you can come up with. Really give this some serious thought. Have fun with it. Don't just throw something together. Create something you would be proud of. Then come back here and post your own contents list. I'd be interested to see just what you come up with.

Good luck! Smile
StarGazer
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
48 Posts

Profile of StarGazer
I have Stargazer bands in my wallet and every bag I will carry to make sure I always have them around. In a small tin box (and I have different versions or themed) my favourite one contains a kinetic key, a shoe lace, a ring, a flash paper, a rubber band and a stargazer band, a hot rod and Scotch and Soda in HK currency, a thumb tip and a small red silk. With these it goes a long way.
Moreover, my daily key wallet is a ring flight, I have a mismade bill inside my wallet and one Queens of heart bicycle playing card. My friend David Stone the French coin magician uses Stephane Jardonnet's Fire Wallet as his real wallet for everyday use. IMO it is the most practical and nice quality wallet to carry around and you can use as a fire wallet and card to wallet anytime.
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Okay, you guys have inspired me. In the next couple of weeks I'm going to see what I can come up with for my Altoids tin. Wish me luck!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Good luck, airship! Here's a thread that unites all Altoids tin owners - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=52
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Airship. Good luck with your tin.

I had a lot of fun creating mine. Gathering things, thinking about the props and what all I could do with them, trying to fit them into the tin (with the lid closing completely on it's own - no wrapping with rubber bands, etc...) and having to decide what to leave out. Really makes you think about the type of magic you really like to do.

Have fun with it. Give it some thought, trial and error, and make it yours. I hope you come back and share what you were able to come up with. You'll probably have some of the same items, and that's definitely OK, but you will also end up with some things others have not thought of. At least, that's what happened with my friends who gave it a try.

Let us know how it works out. Anyone else willing to try? Smile
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Haven't settled on anything solid yet, but here's a list of things I'm thinking of:
* rubber bands
* safety pins
* gaffed matchbox
* one or two mini-card packet tricks
* TT (even though I'm no good with one yet)
* 2' cored rope
* Boston Box w/halves
* Hot Rod
* color changing knife
* couple of dice (if I can find a trick I like)
* thumbwriter & small post-it notes
* pencil stub
* silver/copper coin
* penny/dime shell
* 2-head/2-tail/normal quarters
* quarter bite
Of course, ALL of this won't fit, but that's what I'm working with right now
I want to come up with at least one effect that actually uses the tin, too.
And I'll carry a full-size deck of cards.

Posted: Apr 24, 2006 12:15pm
Well, the matchbox and TT are out - just too big.
Has anybody got any ideas for a couple of small packet tricks that don't use gaffed cards? I've got one mini red-backed and one mini blue-backed deck to work with.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Rather than Altoid tins, I prefer "SUCRETS" and you pronounce it SECRETS. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Airship,

Great start on your Altoids tin magic kit. It really makes you think, huh?

You're doing exactly what I did. Start with a bunch of stuff and then try to thin it out, ending with only what will fit inside with the lid closing completely.

In my original challenge to some friends, I said cards were out. That is because one could just carry a deck and have all the card tricks they could think of.

This challenge became more than that. As your seeing, it's about the magic YOU like to do (cards excluded) and what does, and does not, work given certain restraints.

Just remember, when your done, you'll have something to be proud of. Keep it up and let us know what you end up with.

Anyone else up for the challenge?
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 12:15, airship wrote:
Has anybody got any ideas for a couple of small packet tricks that don't use gaffed cards? I've got one mini red-backed and one mini blue-backed deck to work with.

Airship

You could do:
'8-card Brainwave'
'Twisting the Aces'
'Oil & Water'

Syd

Posted: Apr 25, 2006 8:22am
Recently, I've been carting around a smallish bag of things. Mostly to practice but also to be ready if called upon (and I've sometimes wished someone would ask me).

It contains:

Red Bikes in a blue case with one blue card. (eerily like Daniel Coyne, above)
Blue Bikes with a red-backed ace in the middle - just for 'Cross Twist'
Red Bikes including gimmick for Chastain Chriswell's 'TAG'
Holepunch and tags for above trick.
Invisible deck
Pen through bill
Elastic bands
Loops
Pre-creased dollar bill - for 'Misleading Mislead'
Black Sharpie
Packets for 'Twisted Sisters'
Packet for 'Oil & Water' (two different versions)
Packet for '8-card Brainwave'
Four ready-to-go bridge sized cards for 'Card Warp'
About 12 old cards to destroy for 'Torn'

I also carry a deck of red Bikes in my jacket pocket for easy access.

My friends think I'm insane.

Syd
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I've kind of stalled on my Altoids tin project while I research the tricks I could do with the stuff that will fit. I've given it a lot of thought, and think it would be much, much more effective if I could come up with a routine that would tie all the tricks into a coherent whole.
I like the idea of sticking to a dozen tricks or so, and I want to keep it (a) simple, (b) astonishing, and probably even (c) funny. It's fun to work through this challenge and examine the possibilities. Weeks (or months!) from now, when I have something I like, I'll post what I've come up with. Thanks for all the input!
-0-
View Profile
New user
London
58 Posts

Profile of -0-
Just to add,

I carry a small pouch on my belt almost all the time. Inside are:

2 decks of cards (vipers and bikes, ungaffed)
length of string
some paperclips
small coinpurse with 8 2ps, 8 10ps, 4 £2, 1 £5 coin
a couple of spongeballs (rather squashed at this point)
and a pen or two atatched to it.

this is mainly for practice wit hthe cards and coins when I have a moment, but it's there if I ineed it.
Regards,

-0-
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Quote:
small coinpurse with 8 2ps, 8 10ps, 4 £2, 1 £5 coin

£5 coin?!

Syd
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
MagicalOdyssey,
When you perform a lot anything that could or can go wrong, will go wrong. So I carry an emergency kit that contains the following:

needle and thread
rubber cement
five minute epoxy
double stick tape
electrical tape
scissors
length of rope
extra I. T.
two decks of cards
spare coins
rubber bands
pen and paper
Nail writer
extra business cards
paper clips
bulldog clip
safety pins
elastic for pulls
satin cord
and lastly anything that needs a refill, I have a refill.

I don't use it very often, but it has come in handy a few times!
Be ready for anything!

Regards,
Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I will put my 2 pence in and suggest that you go to the dollar stores and search for a small belt loop pack. NOT a fanny pack, but a belt loop pack. In mine, I have deck of cards, silk, TT, IT, have a coin snap compartment big enough for 4 halves and a English penny, HotRod, 4 rubber bands, 3' length of rope, jumbo penny, and biz cards. I used to have a mini Sharpie that would fit in the TT. The nice thing is it very portable and it FORCES you to build a solid act based upon the items contained within.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Emergency case? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL