The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best DVD for Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
I was asked this question and since I only have a couple of DVD's on Cups and Balls I couldn't give a fair answer. I know my Café friends are in the know, what do you think?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
GAzzo by far has the best in terms of entertaining an audience in a "real" way.

My second favorite is the Cellini #1 DVD with Sunny Holiday performing the effect.
My third is Cellini performing on Cellini #2

My feeling is that you MUST have some personality to make this effect interesting.
To sit behind your cups and move 'em around with boring patter is.... boring.

The Ammar DVDs give you moves.
Even the Carl Andrews two cups and balls (on sale here at the Café right now) gives you some nice moves.

Lots of nice moves and ideas but unless you can put it together and "touch" your audience with the routine it will fall flat.

So whatever you get... make sure you also get the offerings from folks who NEED to earn a living with the trick.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
Thanks Frank,
I have been lucky enough to meet both Cellini and Gazzo in person. I have never seen Cellini do the C&B. I didn't know he had them on a DVD. I knew about his Slydini history and his famous linking rings ability. I agree about Gazzo, I enjoyed seeing him at the SCAM convention in january. He is a master at working a crowd. I have his book on C&B and his Gazzo on tour DVD. I have only been able to find his C&B routine taught on VHS. Yuk, I'm pro DVD whaenever possible. I may give in and buy the VHS. I have the Carl Andrews DVD and Tommy Wonder but they both are on a 2 cup routine. But they are good.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Yes, tommy's is one of the very best.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Michael Ammar has two very good dvd's on the C&B's

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I would recommend for any beginner to get both of the Ammar DVD's, then the Stevens Magic DVD -- the Greater Magic Teach in on cups and balls. After that, the Gazzo and Cellini material.

All of it is important. You can't do it with just one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The Johnny Thompson Routine on #4 of his Commercial Magic DVD is very entertaining as well.
so far all great suggestions.
Mobius
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
Once you do have the basics, Gazzo's Cups and Balls routine is one of the best I've seen. You do have to be wearing a busker's pouch in order to do it completely. It's also one of those routines that needs lots of time to get the credit it deserves, but it's probably the best cup and ball routine I've ever read.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I agree with everyone who's suggested the first-line of Ammar and Stevens' Greater Magic DVD. After that, there's a wealth of other sources to learn from.

The Gazzo and Cellini videos/DVDs are great - these are true masters at work, although the focus is predominantly on a busking presentation. They are well worth getting in their own right, but if you're planning on doing C&B close-up, then you might want to look at some other sources for inspiration as well:

Al Schneider (some great ideas on his DVD)
Rafael Benatar (I have his old video; I notice he has a new C&B DVD)
Johnny Thompson
Aldo Colombini
Tommy Wonder

Christian Jedinat recently released a fantastic DVD on the cups & balls, but it's entirely in German. I don't speak any German, but found the presentation highly entertaining and original. I don't speak German, so I'm sure I missed out on some of the finer points! However, if you're a cups & balls enthusiast, I highly recommend this DVD.

Good luck!

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
This has been a great exchange. I started asking a question that opened my eyes to the fact that I probably have under invested in DVD's and books. The basics are the best place to start and I seemed to have skipped a few by not getting the Ammar DVD set. Thanks to everyone that brought this up.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2701 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I like the video (now dvd) by Rafael Benatar. Ammar's set is good and I like the C&B section from Vernon's Revelation's series.
stove167
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of stove167
David williamson has a good version on his sleight of dave videos also tommy wonders routine from his visions of wonder dvd series is good too ( its not his award winning routine)
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
The best magic presentation for the Cups & Balls effect would have to be either Aldo Colombini's or Tommy Wonder's DVDs. For a busking, hustling or gambling presentation for the Cups & Balls effect you probably couldn't beat Gazzo's or Cellini's DVD as mentioned in one of the above posts.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I would say that Aldo's DVD is probably good teaching material. I don't think I would say the same about Tommy Wonder's routine, though. It's an interesting departure from the normal three cup routine. But as far as learning basic cups and balls, it falls short. That's not the purpose of his routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
I recently bought Michael Ammar's two DVDs and they are truly superb! Well worth it!

It teaches you all of the moves to build any routine from simple to advanced!

To learn the cups and balls properly, this is definitely the first (but not last) place to look for technique!

Many thanks

Magical Mark
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
941 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Tommy Wonder's routine (along with most of his material and writings) taught me what is actually possible under what the close scrutinizers believe to be the impregnable burn. Thanks to him, my own cups and balls routine has an impossible moment, not to mention what I was able to do with my rendition of Ortiz's "Psychotronic Card."
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I certainly agree with the Cellini, Gazzo, Sunny Holiday, Ammar, and the rest.

But, I would like to second the Al Schneider technique, which I think is overlooked. His is the only routine that I have seen in years that caused me to do a couple of double-takes and re-run the DVD to figure out a couple of moves that fooled me.

Of course, it is a sitting routine, which is currently out of fashion, but there is some wonderful thinking in Al's routine.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
JoeFreedom
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JoeFreedom
There is a lot of great advice here, as usual. I think the most important advice is Frank's in that if it is not entertaining, it's just moves. Moves really are fun but entertainment, in my opinion, is what it is all about. Unless your audience is just a mirror.

Joe
JoeFreedom

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right.
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
Does Gazzo actually have a DVD out that teaches the cups and balls? I thought he only had the VHS version out, along with a couple of performance DVDs, but not an actual DVD for teaching.

Steven
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
As mentioned above, another great Cups & Balls routine is Aldo Colombini's award winning Cups & Balls Routine. I'm pretty sure that Aldo has his Cups & Balls Routine on his "Essential Aldo Colombini" DVD.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best DVD for Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL