The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Price of a Base (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-04-07 11:28, magicofCurtis wrote:
Look at the instant babe base... That base is the base of all bases...

I just got my first really close up look at an " Instant Babe " and it really is something to see. It really is 2 inches thick. Its next on my list for " I got to get me one of those."

Best,

Tim
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Im no expert - but I think the piping on the bottom of the structure should not be the same size as upper step of your base
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Thanks! I certainly will be testing and trying out new things. MacGyver, Why do you think that? What can I do to make it look more deceptive? And what about the trap on top, I have been using spandex but can't seem to find another way. Thanks again.

Cameron
Cameron

Square-Circle: $59.99
Smoke Chamber: $1,299
Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

Some things money can't buy
For everything else there's Magster Card
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Spandex, lycra- you can even use plastic bristles from a broom, meshed together so they overlap (only recommended for stage work.) You can even use solid wood, though it precludes a faster vanish. I recommend you check out The Seven Basic Secrets of Illusion Design from Osborne Illusions. There's a ton of great stuff in there.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Thanks, How would you use the wood?
Cameron

Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
The pipe and the upper level are the same width so they make the eye go up and down..if you'd made the upper level a different colour and the rest of the poles the same colour - it would be more decpetive..see Copperfields dis-appearing girls..to see what I mean.

You see, then it would seperate from your larger bottom section.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I'd pay $600 for one of those bases. I thought it looked pretty cool. And it can really be used in a variety of ways. A sort of Utility Base, if you will.

I like it. Keep up the good work, and let me know if you plan on selling them.
Corey King
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
$600 sounds a bit right I would say $550 or maybe only $500. but neways I would be willing to pay that much ( if I had the money)
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Thanks, but I am still curious about the trap, and what to do?

Thanks again,
Cameron
Cameron

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
It depends on the illusion that's going on top. For a straight vanish, put the wood on a piano hinge, leave it in the up position (the illusion would need to be designed so it's not visible, such as with a top-opening box), then shut it flat- at which point the walls collapse. There you've got a vanish, and you can even tap on the base to prove it's "solid" wood.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Scott Davies
View Profile
New user
Australia
1 Post

Profile of Scott Davies
I don't wish to be rude but your fog chamber base is not that well made by the looks of the pics, I think you need to work on your finishes a bit more before you start selling stuff.
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
I didn't say I was selling them right away. I am going to improve on them and do research then possibly sell them. I allready found something out that I should have done, which was to make it wider and longer so you aren't in a ball but laying down. Thanks though.

~Cameron~

PS Nice Zimmerman. I was thinking about when I get better building skills to build one.
Cameron

magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I think the base is a good utility base but not a good base to vanish a person with out using antoher prop on top of it...

Think like the layman "Why is she standing on that big black thing????? as the curtain goes up... OH "Now she is inside of that big black thing..... " So the way the base is built now .....utilty base..

Now for a vanish with a curtain, I would say build a raised paltform ref to isn'tant babe or a table type of base.... Get the IDEA???

Cheers
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Yes, I understand. I was kindof building it like a utiity base. I have interchangable(Sp.) tops. I roll it off into the wing, the crew takes off top and changes it. Now two illusions, maybe three.
Cameron

jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Hey Magicman - I didn't mean to be a smart***, I was just going with the flow. I think a good $500 base would be of interest to a lot of working magicians.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Price of a Base (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL