The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Billiard Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Hey guys,
I started this form of magic when I was 8 and I used the simple german wooden balls and I did the basic routine that came in the box. I stopped doing the billiard balls when my shell broke.
I have recently started to get into the billiard balls again and I want to make it into a longer routine.
A friend loaned me a Shimada video and a fakini shell, fakini ball, and 2 wooden balls the same size (he couldn't find a whole set...). The shimada routine is a beautiful 2 shell routine which. I love the routine and want to learn it but before I do I have a few questions.
The fakini balls seem great but sometimes it is hard to execute the move (you know what I am talking about...); the ball seems to get lodged. Will I get used to this? Is it my particular shell which is very old and has probably gone through a lot?
Are there better routines than Shimada's? Everyone has their own opinion, I know, but what do you think? I am looking at preferably a silent stage routine with preferably single colored balls. A finale with multi-colored balls is fine but the bulk of the routine should be a single color. Also, I do not want a highly gaffed routine. Besides the obvious shell.

I am perfectly content in staying with the shimada routine and I have my own I ideas as well but I am just starting to come back into this fielf of magic and was wondering if there is something obvious I am missing like the vernon with the cups and balls.

Thank you very much!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Concerning the shell, if you do a search on the Fakini sets, you would have found you have to break the ball and shell prior to production. Or you could simply put a piece of sponge in the shell to help with your problem.

If you don't want to do a silent routine then create a patter routine. There are many books on the subject as well as Jeff McBrides videos. These do cost money, so if you are only looking for what you can get for free. I cannot help with this source.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Thank you Mr. Harsh.
A friend knew I was jumping back into this form of magic so he gave me what he had on the subject. I had no instructions regarding the shells and as far as I knew, these were normal shells just constructed of a different material. The information I did find on the shells simply said that they were very good shells but no information on handling them.
I have jeff's videos as well. Oh, by the way, I bought them myself.
jErMZ
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of jErMZ
Well well.,. I suggest you get the whole set of fakini balls 1st b4 attempting that routine~
cos the fakini balls cling better than any other balls on earth! which of course makes the double shell work wayyyyyy eaiser~
and yes.,. regarding the Shimada Billard Balls Routine, if you are new to it. its quite a challenge~ I would suggest for a start, McBride manipulation series and tim wright on billard balls.,. pretty good if you just starting out. learn the baisc moves then go into the harder routines~!
Happy practicing!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13370 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Can't leave out the charlie frye routine.
funny, creative, entertaining.

that guy is a genious.

and he's put out 2 of the BEST DVDs I've ever watched in my life.
Talk about talent.

Eccen-Tricks
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Frank, I couldn't agree with you more. I think the Eccentricks DVDs are two of the best ever. And I love his multiplying ball routine. It is simple, direct, and funny.

FC
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Shamada is very good indeed. Regarding the handling of Fakini shells, don't squeeze them together so tightly.
POOF!
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Thank you guys!
I have a set of classic wooden german balls that are smaller than the fakini's and I am practicing a lot of the single shelled portions of the routines with that set. Difficult stuff, yes...
I ordered a set of the Fakini balls and will look into the Tim Wright dvd. Right now I am studying McBride's stuff and Shimada's and looking at the pros and cons of both.

Thanks a lot for the info guys, much appreciated!
(kregg, I see what you mean about the squeezing them; it will take time to get away from that habbit considering the difficulty of Shimada's routine...)
Maritess
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Maritess
Gary Darwin has a great routine that he allowed me to use when I competed in FISM it uses white 1 3/4 inch fakini balls. If you're ever in Vegas, ask him to teach it to you when you're at the magic club meeting on Wednesdays. Warning, it includes a triple roll, not for the faint of sleight of hand.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
OOO, thank you for that, I will make sure to talk to him the next time up out there.
keep 'em coming guys.
Thanks everyone!
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Magic Maven,

If you're having a little trouble with the shell sticking, you might want to check out Richard Kaufman's book "Side Arm Snookery". The book contains four or five routines based on that premise. The routines are different and well put together. When I got the book back in the 70's the wooden balls were all that were available to my meager budget. There were very few books and no VHS or DVDs; so you were pretty much on your own, except for very old works. Richard's book was one of the first on re-introducing this classic trick. Of course, Petrik and Mia's routine certainly was a factor in rebirth too.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5718 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The best routine that I've ever seen was Tim Wright's routine. He has a video out on the Multiplying Balls.

If you want an really good, inexpensive set of Multiplying Balls, try the Multiplying Sponge Balls. They're denser than regular sponge balls and work the same as the billiards.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Too many people have said great things about the Tim Wright routine, I will have to look into it.
Thanks a lot guys
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
If you break the un-nest into two actions you will never have any problems with the ball getting stuck inside the shell. I usually don't have to do this but you will find it helps

So in other words, the index finger pushes DOWN on the ball (dislodging) and then rolls it UP to un- nest.

This usually only happens in practice sessions, even with Fakini Products, I usually find the 'Dr Grease Paint' kicks in during actual performance and this sort of thing never happens in the heat of the moment. Things like this usually go OK on stage...if you are USED to performing regularly that is.

Another thing that may help this (with Fakini's) is to un-nest by contacting the shelled ball at the part of the index finger between the knuckle and the first joint as opposed to the first joint and the tip of the finger. The grip seems to be better for the un-nest. make sure you don't contact the other balls in the roll down at that place otherwize you may have problems with balls hitting together (especially 2 inch or larger). Only the ball being un-nested should be contacted there.

I am including my walk around balls (with triple roll...not as hard as you think even with 2 inch) on a DVD which will be released later this year. I intend to address these problems from a commercial viewpoint. You might want to check it out when the time comes.

Dean
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Thanks for the tips!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Billiard Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL