We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Glenn Bishop's 11 min. Close Up Act » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Dear Glenn,

I have just visited your site for the first time and viewed the clips of your dad.
at http://www.bishmagic.org

Your dad was certainly an elegant and talented entertainer of the highest caliber.

I loved (and laughes) watching his original Rope Tie presentation and appreciated greatly how he handled his volunteers with the utmost respect and fun.

Thank you for sharing his story and his clips.

All the best.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
Billy Bishop is a class act indeed. I cant count the times I viewed those videos.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2926 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree, class act indeed. He comes across as a true top professional.

Thanks Glenn for sharing the story.
Loved the clips, especially the rope tie.

Tom
The Daycare Magician Book
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazekids/the-daycare-magician/

“We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves” --Galileo Galilei 
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks jlevey, rannie, and TomBoleware. My Dad was a class act and spent a lot of years in front of an audience to get that way. I remember as a kid he would be busy doing 4 - 6 shows right in a row during the Christmas season. He would go from one to the other and walk right out on the stage. Toss the rope into the audience and start the show with the rope tie.

He was one of the best using the audience. He would get two people up have fun with them, treated them with respect, then after the effect was over - send them back to there seats. Then do it again with two more people with a different trick.

His canvas covered box was a real feature. I still have the lid. Jay Marshal told me that he wore out 3 lids and was one of the most working acts in the city.

I have the lid but the box fell apart so I tossed it. Just can't toss the lid or the small performing stage that was in the old magic shop. Every magician of note from Jay Marshall to John Shirley to Eddie Fields most of the acts in the city did something on that stage at one time or another. I just can't toss some of the old junk I have.

I still use his die box and chinese sticks in my stand up act.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10873 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Rannie laurie got a hat back but not the hat in question.....
I am now doing the mexican hat dance ......... with Lauries hat
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
The Godfather has spoken once again! The hat in question is now put to rest.

The magic of Billy Bishop lives on! Thanks for the inspiration Mr.Bishop!

Thanks Glenn!

:rotf: My first smiley Laurie!
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 23:52, rannie wrote:
I think its still fun. Too many angsts in the world, we really need to have more fun. To think this art is about bringing fun to folks , there seem too many frowns internally.

I guess it even worse in the Vatican. Well, heres to more fun fellas!

Rannie
The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

......................The Vatican??
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-04-13 02:18, vinsmagic wrote:
Rannie laurie got a hat back but not the hat in question.....
I am now doing the mexican hat dance ......... with Lauries hat

Not so, Vinny. My hat doesn't dance. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-04-13 06:45, rannie wrote:
The hat in question is now put to rest.
:rotf: My first smiley Laurie!

The hat in question is resting quite comfortably in a SAFE place. Smile

Congratulations on the smiley, rannie. Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10873 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I guess I wll have to put the hat on my avatar to prove that I have it.it is resting on my head.....
Come check out my magic.

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Good luck with that, Vinny. My hat is here with me. My hat works for ME. Part of the fabric, or shall I say: STRUCTURE Smile, of my show. Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10873 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
If your hat works for you then how come it is not on your head>>> that's because I have it
Come check out my magic.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
Laurie

He might have rustled your hat but you still have your cattle. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I've got my cattle AND my hat. Still working on incorporating the cows into the show. They'd be AWESOME. Gotta make sure they wouldn't upstage me. That's one place a lesson from Siegfried and Roy will come in real handy. SARMOTI Smile
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
Glad to see we're back on topic... Smile
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10873 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
That's an old Avatar but I like that one better anyway.
I have the HAT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Come check out my magic.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20969 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have lurked this as long as I can handle. I have a few divergent points which I am sure will ruffle at least a few feathers on each side.

Firt off a few pages back someone mentione how Glenns father must have been a lonley man. Well let me dispell that. I KNEW Billy, his wonderfull wife Ann and Glenn back in the day and EACH of them was far from lonley. Wonderfull people on and off stage. Willing to share and teach a wide eyed kid anything he was eager enough to learn PROPERLY. Genuine old school nice. Class personified. Sorry that had been buggin me for a while.

As for this entire thread I am confused. Plain and simple confused. I am not quite sure why it would be posted if you didn't want people to tell you what they think. If someone thinks it is bad you can dismiss it cetianly, this is your right. BUT didn't you expect it even a little? I have intentionally NOT watched it just so I can remain inpartial and figure out the process mind you.

I mean Glenn you have been in magic for a long time. At the Café' for a long time. How is it a suprise that people would offer opinions on each side? You see this is what is causing my personal confussion. I am not saying anyone is right or wrong, just that you should have perhaps expected it is all.

Personally by the way I agree completly with Lauri and the camp which says spelling matters. I know for a fact many people will simply take out the video if you can't even spell things right in the opening credits. My spelling skills are HORRIBLE to say the least, but it does matter. IF this was not a promo video and just you doing things for us to see, then perhaps the credits were not really necessary at all.

Lets face it though, people being critical is the risk you run when you post things like this. Many thought they were helping out of genuine just being nice. Being honest with people is a tough thing. It is so much easier to just say "oh yea your great". But in the end does this help someone? My belief is it sets them up for a much larger fall which will happen in the future.

My real point is that AUDIENCES may not be as nice when they see shortcommings. For example if you don't get a job simply because of the spelling and the way people feel that effects the quaity. (I am not saying it did or would happen simply an example) Someone NOT mentioning it just cost you money.

Same with "flashing" a move. When an audience sees it your busted in performance. Is it a good thing to NOT tell someone? I don't think so. I want people to be honest with me, so I am honest with them.

Any time someone asks me for a critique if you will I always tell them up front this exact phrase. "I will give you a chance to NOT ask me this question. I will tell you up front, I don't have time to lie to you or coddle your ego. I will tell you the "truth" at least as I see it. I will not be mean or harsh, simply truthfull and blunt. If you are not ready to hear it then please lets simply move on. I am not saying your bad or good, simply explaining the rules up front to avoid hurt feelings."

This sets the tone for honesty. NOT being mean mind you simple honesty and growth.

Just an idea.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Danny,
This isn't a criticism, just a correction. I think the person said (on page 2 by magicsquared) "I'm sure your father was a lovely man..."

I don't think anyone here meant to criticize Billy Bishop in any way. I didn't know him, but through Glenn's efforts I'm getting there.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2955 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-04-14 11:08, vinsmagic wrote:
That's an old Avatar but I like that one better anyway.

:bg:

I, too, believe HONESTY is the best policy.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2006-04-14 12:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
As for this entire thread I am confused. Plain and simple confused. I am not quite sure why it would be posted if you didn't want people to tell you what they think. If someone thinks it is bad you can dismiss it certainly, this is your right. BUT didn't you expect it even a little? I have intentionally NOT watched it just so I can remain impartial and figure out the process mind you.

Hi Danny thanks for posting,

The point of posting the video of my act was to talk about the subject of SHOW STRUCTURE and SHOW TEXTURE. The point is what effect follows what - and WHY.

In this entire thread as far as I can see no one has talked about what they do in the way of show structure - or texture and what follows what effect and why. If I wanted to I can put up a ton of video of me doing my act in a better angle - in short and as I mentioned - this IS NOT MY BEST WORK OR PERFORMANCE.

But it was a video that had some things about show texture in it that I wanted to talk about. Most of the stuff they have said is JUST not important to the subject of show structure or texture or the subject that I started the thread about.

I don't post video at my magician's hobby web site http://www.bishmagic.org to prove that I am good. I post video there for magic educational reason's. And to preview one of my DVD products.

Do you think that there are magicians out there doing shows that could post something about how they do the show structure and why it works for them?

By the way I am not upset at all!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Glenn Bishop's 11 min. Close Up Act » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL