We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » "I just wanted it to rhyme, man..." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I've been doing this magician thing for cash for about five years now. I've read a lot of books, magazine articles, lecture notes, and Magic Café posts.

Sometimes I wonder if maybe we're working too hard to achieve that Profound Magic Moment - to blow away our audiences, inspire, bewilder, boggle, or create that "Moment of Wonder" that seems to be the result of whatever hot new trick or book (or sleight or prop or...) that comes down the pike.

Is there really any shame in just wanting to be entertaining? I'm not belittling the pursuit of the Profound, but sometimes... "I just wanted it to rhyme, man..."

Tobias!
(bonus points for those who can identify the quote)
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Sounds like something Bob Dylan might have said, although I wouldn't know exactly where or when.

So, what do I win?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Yep. Bob Dylan.

Um. I dunno what you win aside from admiration. I hadn't really thought this through...

Tobias!
(Better living through obscure references)
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
In my opinion... if you just wanna entertain, just tell jokes.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Even comics don't tell jokes anymore. They are into stories, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
The reason I choose amazement first... Is because amazement in itself is entertaining.
I came here...
vash
View Profile
New user
canada
15 Posts

Profile of vash
Entertaining is fun but nothing compares to making them freak.Smile
vash
The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
Well that would be entertaining yourself.
I came here...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I bought my first Dylan album in 1963, but that quote is not framiliar to me Mr. Mplegare. Could you give us some more info on it, because "the times they are a changen", "the pump don't work cause the vandels took the handle", "It's time for my boot heels to be wandering", and "it's all over now baby blue". My wife is waiting because "she'll be my baby tonight" and "I have no one mom to look up to"
JUST GETTING STARTED
Al Angello

PS- Good magic will always be good magic, because no one has ever asked me "how old is that trick", and you can quote ME on that one my friend.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-04-14 16:30, Al Angello wrote:
I bought my first Dylan album in 1963, but that quote is not framiliar to me Mr. Mplegare. Could you give us some more info on it?

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I have quite a study of Mr Dylan. I don't remember ever seeing that quote. Any clue where that came from?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Jim Davis
View Profile
Special user
What is....? Utah
945 Posts

Profile of Jim Davis
Quote:
On 2006-04-04 15:41, mplegare wrote:

Is there really any shame in just wanting to be entertaining? I'm not belittling the pursuit of the Profound, but sometimes... "I just wanted it to rhyme, man..."

In short order, no. Magic should be entertaining. It should bring enjoyment to our audiance. No matter what kind of magic we do, it needs to have a value. Some of the simpilist things I do offer the greatest entertainment. Whether it's expounding upon a story with magic, using magic to scare, or just to cause amazement, it HAS to be entertaining.

"If it ain't... they can always go watch someone or something else."

~Jim
Diamond Jim Davis "The Cardslinger" ~~~ Magic from the '80's....................the 1880's!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Don't just be a magician, be a human interest!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>[url]www.periodplayers.com[/ur
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
I was kind of wondering the same thing. I have quite a study of Mr Dylan. I don't remember ever seeing that quote. Any clue where that came from?

Try putting the phrase in Google. That's what I did. Smile

One Google "hit" has a member of another forum say this:

"...I cant help thinking of Bob Dylan. I read once that when Jimmy Carter called him from the White House to express his admiration of the mans music and its profound philosophical effect on his own ideas, Dylan answered "Gee, Mr. President, I just wanted it to rhyme"."

I don't know where he read this, so the search goes on...
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Dave!! I'm not sure I would trust what any member of THAT forum has to say. LOL.

I have secrched but found nothing really solid. I think I'm gonna be forced to go back to that God Awful Dylan forum and see if one of those chumps knows where it came from.

Vandy
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Another message implied someone read a line in a Doonesbury comic strip. They often parody real life events, so it could be based in fact, or it could just be one of those "urban legend" stories we'll never be able to prove.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I think I just saw the frowns on the faces of the clowns when they all do their tricks for me, and discovered that it just ain't good to let other people get your kicks for you, so I decided to paint my passport brown...

"He that is not busy being born is busy dying."
--Bob Dylan

"Here's your throat back. Thanks for the loan."
--the sword swallower
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Another Dylanophile!! There was a time (for about 10 years) where I listened to NOTHING but Dylan music. I've read all the books, have all the music and seen all the movies and TV specials. I used to post on the old Sony Dylan board under the name Barefoot Servant. I've seen him live over a dozen times. How about you guys? You must be my kind of folks, most people seem to either love Dylan or hate him.

The other night on Jeopardy they had a category where they would give the lyric and the contestants had to provide the Bob Dylan song title. It was childs play, but I think the contestants only got one correct answer. That would be a dream category for me if I had been on the show.

Some trains don't pull no gamblers
No midnight ramblers, like they did before
I been to Sugar Town, I shook the sugar down
Now I'm trying to get to heaven before they close the door-Bobby D
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, the Amazing Jonathan, Mac King...just a few who entertain with magic without taking the art or themselves too seriously. Their focus is clearly on the term...Entertain. If you're one who takes the finger flicking and assistant dicing seriously...more power to ya...but, it seems to me that the biggest names in the industry...including Copperfield, Burton, Arthur, Fischbacher and Horn...incorporate the power of laughter in their shows for a reason. The days of Thurston, Houdini, Blackstone and the like are long gone and today magic is seen for what it is. Entertainment...rather than mystical feats overpowering the laws of nature through netherworld interaction. Just my opinion.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Oh yeah, Thanks for bringing it back on track Skip. I agree 100 percent.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5135 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yeah, there's something happening and you don't know what it is . . .

BTW maybe the Dylan quote is from his autobiography, Chronicles? Just a guess.

Jack Shalom
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
No problem, Vandy! Besides, I really enjoyed Dylan's portrayal as Samantha's husband on the original Bewitched. It's cool, dude!

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » "I just wanted it to rhyme, man..." (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL