We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Is this possible with a dollar bill? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
788 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Many many years ago, I came across a gentleman who had a "shrunken" dollar bill and claimed it was real. After looking at it, it did look real and who was I to doubt him. He said he made it himself and after offering to buy it, he said he didn't want to part with it due to the trouble they are to make. I guess my first question is: Is it possible to chemically alter or shrink these bills and; two....if US currency is really cloth and not paper as I am told by my uncle, then it does seem reasonable that it could be shrunk. Any comments?

Snidini
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
You can purchase miniature dollar bills from many websites and magic stores.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I believe paper money is made from "flax"?
... or something like that.

just trying to sound smart!!! how am I doin' ?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
FatTony
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, Texas
121 Posts

Profile of FatTony
Hmm..

Can any experienced counterfeiters weigh in on the subject?
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. - Einstein
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2979 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
After watching the Discovery Channel on the process of making paper currency, bills are made of 3 ingredients cotton, flax and linen. Linen is a by-product of flax. Ask me if I care ? Well yes I do.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I own a miniature dollar bill that's real. I showed it to my father, who's an engineer, and he told me how it was made (if I recall correctly, it had something to do with being subjected to pure oxygen). It appears to be available here, although I think that mine's even smaller than that one.
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
With 100 years of inflation that shrunken bill will be the same size as a regular bill and worthless as well. Smile
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi,

I can supply the Shrunken Dollar you discuss. Your local dealer probably gets them from me anyway. Contact me via PM for details.

Regards,

Paul Green
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
OOh Paul, post again please, that number is creepy. Love the snap deal by theway. Off topic, sorry,

Travis
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10805 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tou have the wrongGreen paul is the master of the classic force
Lenart green is the snap deal.......
thegodfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
788 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Frank, you are doing great as always. I always enjoy your posts, comments and ideas. Keep 'em coming my friend. Larry, thanks for the URL showing this item. I have some ideas for using one in a routine/trick and this has been most helpful. Now the real question is "how are these made"? Pure oxygen(LOX)? Hmmm. I wonder.

Snidini
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
608 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Anyone know if these are available in U.K notes?
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
839 Posts

Profile of e-man
No
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I used to carry these things and they are really wierd. The bills themselves are visibly thicker than a normal bill and you can see that some process was used to apparently compact the fibers. I have never heard anyone say definitively 'how' the darn things are made. My guess? I think that they are put in some kind of solution and then subjected to electrical current. I don't know if Paul's come with the manuscript, but the ones I had had a full blown booklet of things you could do with them. Best,
Brad Burt
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I'm surprised none of the "old-timers" have mentioned how to make one yourself. In Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia, as well as other books I can't think of at the moment, this is classified as a gag. If you take a real bill and roll it into a small ball, then open it, re-roll it, open it, and continue the process for a while, you'll find that the bill "compresses" so that it appears to have "shrunk". I have no idea how the one that dealers sell is made, but this rolling and re-rolling works. Of course the bill has a bajillion creases in it, but it definitely is smaller than a regular bill. I wonder what happens if you iron it at the point where you've shrunk it down...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi everyone,

The bills are processed through a chemical process. American paper money is actually printed on cloth (high rag content). The process actually shrinks the bill. The care and artistry of the technician allows the print to remain and shrink with the process. The company that manufactures the bills for me is liscensed through the United States Government.

Brad is correct about the thickness of the bill. He is also correct that the booklet, originally published in 1995, is filled with some interesting (dated) material.

Paul Chosse is also correct about the crushing of a bill which does make it smaller. Not as small as the shrunken bill, but still visablly smaller.

I use the bill with the line, "This is what happens when they get stuck at the dry cleaners!" It always gets a giggle or two.

If you ever cross my path, ask me about the time I showed it to the Treasury Officer in Washington, D. C.

Regards,

Paul (If it is a real dollar, why does it cost so much more?) Green
wcoach
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of wcoach
This is OCT 2010 and I just purchased one of these from Paul. I am amazed at this bill.
It is a "real small one dollar bill"
Paul if you read this thanks again.
I would also like to hear the story of showing the Treasury Officer the bill.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Folks, as mentioned four years ago, you can shrink your own bills of any denomination and from most countries that print money on quality rag content paper, by simply rolling it up in your hand, into the smallest tube you can, and keep rolling it in your hands , over and over again....the constant rolling creates heat and the friction removes moisture, blah blah blah, and before you know it you have a real shrunken bill....we used to do it all the time as kids. That was fifty years ago when a dollar really was worth a dollar too! The reason it works so well is because the high quality of the paper money as compared to ordinary paper, which wouldn't hold up to the abuse of the treatment. There are probably other ways as well in this modern age, but the old way is a do-it-your- selfer.......
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
I thought this topic had been covered, but I'm too lazy to try a search.

I remember it being pure Ammonia that would do the shrinking. Not something to mess with though!

Lynn Fox
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2789 Posts

Profile of John Long
Pure ammonia is a gas, and yes that would have to be handled with care; did you mean a concentrated ammonium hydroxide (ammonia dissolved in water)?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Is this possible with a dollar bill? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL