The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Best way to produce silks.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I use a palmo ball to produce 5 12" silks. I think they have two sizes to choose from.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
A Hat! Always people think in a magician and think in a top hat, so I use it for the look and its nice for the silk productions...
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Kuma Tubes, hands-down. I produce small streamers, big streamers (12"x40'), MANY small silks, six umbrellas, two six-foot silks, a bowl of rice, and my daughter at the end. As someone mentioned above, the silks are nice, but are used as a lead-in and/or cover for producing other objects that the audience knows couldn't have been in the tubes.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2006-04-05 22:36, Lou Hilario wrote:
Try Spec-tubular. It can be used for a large load of silks. Search the Café or Hocus-pocus.com

Spec-tubular looks a lot like Magic hands item for silk production.
----------
I use square circles for silk production.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You can use an old item called a "Devils Newspaper" that has a load similar to a Temple screen except it can be made with a newspaper, a large clasp envelope (that Tyvek mailer free at the Post Office works great) and some Scotch tape. You can produce silks, doves, bottles of soda (or beer), flowers, balls, whatever!

However for a prop to sit on the stage and make the act look bigger and more substantial a well made and appropriately decorated/painted Square Circle is hard to beat! You can probably get the rest of your act from the prop.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Wow-Devils Newspaper-memories from years ago!!

Great production effect from a so called empty newspaper shown front & back & all pages in between
& folded around for a very visual production

Easy to make & plays well with a lay audience!!

Thanks Harry as I had completly forgot what a fun item it is to use.....
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
I use a P&L change bag in a special monologue performance I do, where I change red, yellow, blue and green silks--all 12"--into a 36" black silk right at the beginning of the performance. (The black relates to what I'm reciting). It's quick, snappy and gets the attention straight away.

Other times I use a big square circle.

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Quote:
On 2008-10-25 11:34, Harry Murphy wrote:
You can use an old item called a "Devils Newspaper" that has a load similar to a Temple screen except it can be made with a newspaper, a large clasp envelope (that Tyvek mailer free at the Post Office works great) and some Scotch tape. You can produce silks, doves, bottles of soda (or beer), flowers, balls, whatever!

Harry, could you recommend a source for Devil's Newspaper?
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Kevin Puckett
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Kevin Puckett
Haha, I laugh ever time I see the title of this thread. In short...there is no 'Best way' to produce a silk. Just because you like a gimmik or method doesn't mean it is the best way for your routine.

If you are looking for ideas... Duane Laflin's works on Silk Magic is priceless! Also, RICE'S books.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Peter White of P&L Silks has a very good set of videos entitled "Why Knot Silks" on all thing having to do with silks.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2008-10-30 09:02, Trekdad wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-25 11:34, Harry Murphy wrote:

Harry, could you recommend a source for Devil's Newspaper?

I'm sure Harry will come through with an answer, he always does.

Mike
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
As kevin puckett mentioned Duane Laflin has quite a few DVDs out on silk magic.
I have been using the snap silks for years and recently duane and I were at a magic convention performing and during his lecture he showed his working on the snap silks. I told him I would be performing them that way from now on.

if you are looking for an inexpensive and magical way to produce silks go with the snap silks and then use the silks to steal a silk fountain, dove etc.

as far as props used to produce silks again I would have to mention an item Duane sells. ( jeff McBride uses this prop) it is called a silk cone and comes in a few different colors. the idea is you unfold this cone so that it is flat and show it all around and then fold it into the cone and reach in and produce a LARGE amount of silks. you can stop show it all around again then produce more. it sells for aobut $30 and again its a sweet prop. hold on I am going to go get the page and paste it here, don't go anywhere
http://www.lockfamilymagic.com/public/Vi......prID=390

I myself am not one for having a lot of stuff on my stage wehn performing a routine. the items I mention allow you to have very little on stage and produce alot. whats that saying we hear in magic all the time. Pack small and paly big:)

hope that helps

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
Seo Magic is marketing a device similar to a hank ball but with some subtle differences. I have it and love it.

Posted: Nov 6, 2008 9:36pm
I also use Daune Laflin's version of "Snap Silks" - You admittedly start with one silk but then keep producing them. You can find versions of this in both Rice's Silk Encyclopedia and I believe also in Tarbell as well as many other sources.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Have you thought about production them from a folding opera hat(top hat)? There are some relatively inexpensive models out there now. When you examine one I think you'll get the idea. Start with the hat folded flat. Show it empty, then open it up. The silks that come from the hat can be used to cover an additional load.

If you want a bare handed production of a lot of silks, one way to go is to produce a single silk (many different ways), then get more silks using a dove-production method.

Thom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Best way to produce silks.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL