We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Online videos in public areas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Shouldn't we feel horrible ANY performance video is being shown in public areas online?
That is the question I'd like to discuss with all of you.

At a glance I give you the two most common magician scenarios and thoughts;Leaving you with a couple of questions you have probably thought to answer-

Firstly,The most spoken truth.If your video is of poor quality, fact is you are degrading the art as a bad magician.Magicians say-Do you really want to be publicly showcased as such?

Now, the second spoken truth.Quote from a PERFORMER-"Magic is all misdirection and psychology."People are going to try to guess how something is done;performers and criticts are leaving horrible comments adding to that. Why give away the mystery of our art like THAT?Is 1 minute of amazement WORTH that?

The reason why I wrote this;Let's expand the knowledge-

It's cool you post videos in magician based websites for feedback,I agree .Website that can help us improve our techniques or our pattter through constructive criticism.The magic video depot for example;But can you tell me the REAL gain behind any online performance for the public masses? Youtube, Myspace, etc............

One could argue it cures boredom or it showcases your magic and what you are about. It also brings a little joy to magicians or friends online.Why not do this LIVE!!!!?This is why we perform.

Those public videos should be left solely to those who have gone through the trouble of making a personal magic website.The performers trying to sell a product or themselves.All we see in professional websites are teasers.When buying a magical effect we are cleverly left wondering.When we visit some huge magicians websites we are given little clips of them performing. Obviously there is a reason for such an action. Let's take something from this.........

Give away the complete repetoir,performance, or effect?NEVER. Why would ANYONE!?Specially an incredible part of it.

For example-
I wanted to perform "sinful" but sitting down to reflect it occurs to me:Add all the people doing this online(Can count 10 in youtube alone-one of most important video sharing websites),in real world,MIndfreak, and now it might be in net flix.AN AMAZING effect gone to waste.

Deeper-
Coin bite,Balducci Levitation,ACR,Cups And Balls,etc....All beaten down/overused or butchered up. Many people forced to take them out of their setlist because when we get to a person they say they have seen it so many times or they already know the secret;sometimes even mocking us.Do you want to do that with all your good effects?What about magicians who don't live in your area and are getting affected by the videos?You are making crowds smaller and destroying surprise for those magicians.No matter how original they are it's been seen before."I saw that one guy online do this."

Think for yourself;EVERYDAY before you approach someone;Aren't you hoping the person has never seen it before?Aren't you hoping to show something never seen before?

Drawing from this-
Using common sense we stumble across the MOST IMPORTANT point;For our performance.

Do you realize you are loosing an extremely important aspect of the live magic.The element of SURPRISE.Perform the same effect LIVE surely people are going to be looking out for ALL your moves;Just as a repeated effect. Online, thanks to the camera edits, even with repeated performances you are in total control where the person looks.Now imagine once they are in front of you! We are talking some hardcore hecklers here. Not only that but insane amounts of unnecessary misdirection when you show the effect.ANYTHING can occur with a heckler as we have learned.

Think now-
Are you going to disagree with me that seeing something more than once is not boring? Many laymen could barely sit through your performance as it is with the element of surprise;Imagine predictability?(Does not apply to everyone one but usually those in pointed out videos.)


I encourage EVERYONE to drop the whole clips from public places and perform LIVE. That is the beauty of magic unless you have a TV special. If you need help post in a MAGICIAN website. We will be glad to get you rolling to that REAL performance we as magicians live for.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-04-05 18:03, unilogo wrote:
For example-
I wanted to perform "sinful" but sitting down to reflect it occurs to me:Add all the people doing this online(Can count 10 in youtube alone-one of most important video sharing websites),in real world,MIndfreak, and now it might be in net flix.AN AMAZING effect gone to waste.



What are the odds of this happening? You're probably more likely to run into someone whose seen this effect performed live. How many people beside magicians actually bother to look up videos of magic on the web? Unless it's got a couple of naked girls in it or a dead body the likely hood of your average surfer coming upon a magic video are small.

Quote:

Deeper-
Coin bite,Balducci Levitation,ACR,Cups And Balls,etc....All beaten down/overused or butchered up. Many people forced to take them out of their setlist because when we get to a person they say they have seen it so many times or they already know the secret;sometimes even mocking us.Do you want to do that with all your good effects?What about magicians who don't live in your area and are getting affected by the videos?You are making crowds smaller and destroying surprise for those magicians.No matter how original they are it's been seen before."I saw that one guy online do this."



Again, is this really a problem? I've never had anyone tell me not to do that old cups and ball trick cause they've seen it done to death on the web. Even if they have seen it, they haven't seen my version.

Quote:

Think for yourself;EVERYDAY before you approach someone;Aren't you hoping the person has never seen it before?Aren't you hoping to show something never seen before?



I don't go around inflicting magic on the unsuspecting but no, I never worry about people having seen my stuff before. In fact I have people who have been watching my act for years and get upset if I change something out. It's the performer, not the tricks

Quote:

Drawing from this-
Using common sense we stumble across the MOST IMPORTANT point;For our performance.

Do you realize you are loosing an extremely important aspect of the live magic.The element of SURPRISE.Perform the same effect LIVE surely people are going to be looking out for ALL your moves;Just as a repeated effect. Online, thanks to the camera edits, even with repeated performances you are in total control where the person looks.Now imagine once they are in front of you! We are talking some hardcore hecklers here. Not only that but insane amounts of unnecessary misdirection when you show the effect.ANYTHING can occur with a heckler as we have learned.



Maybe your working for the wrong crowd. I seldom get hecklers, and when I do they never call out "Hey I saw that on the WEB"

Quote:

Think now-
Are you going to disagree with me that seeing something more than once is not boring? Many laymen could barely sit through your performance as it is with the element of surprise;Imagine predictability?(Does not apply to everyone one but usually those in pointed out videos.)



Yes, I'm going to disagree. Many people like watching the same thing over and over. That's why they buy DVD's watch reruns of Star Trek and download their favorite tunes.

Quote:

I ncourage EVERYONE to drop the whole clips from public places and perform LIVE. That is the beauty of magic unless you have a TV special. If you need help post in a MAGICIAN website. We will be glad to get you rolling to that REAL performance we as magicians live for.


And when you are made Emperor of all things magic I'm sure this is going to happen.
Till then keep downloading those videos.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It's especially bad when we show these to "secret seekers" whose sole purpose is to "reverse engineer" the methods by repeated watchings and freeze-frames for their own satisfaction.

If you do post public videos, they must be bullet proof. No hint of flashing, no sloppy technique, no excuses. They MUST be your best. They should also be videos that don't rely on the element of surprise. I enjoy watching multiple presentations of things like Matrix or Cups and Balls online as I get to see their presentation differences. I don't look for, nor really care about the methods used. I have plenty of methods already, why would I want theirs? I watch them as a spectator would, enjoying the performance as if it was the first time.

For "Joe Surfer" his experience would be different. But even then, I'm sure he could recognize the difference between a polished presentation, one with some entertainment value and one of kids showing off their latest magic shop purchase. Or (heaven forbid!) a professional magician who publicly displays less than perfect clips. Note this doesn't apply to personal "vanity" sites where we invite discussion, wish to showcase a technique or show structure, or simply looking for an ego boost. This really applies most to public sites like YouTube, Ifilm, or sites specifically designed to promoting your show to potential clients.

EDIT:
I was writing this as Payne was writing his, so I hadn't read what he wrote. I do agree that for the most part, none of this will hurt your live performances, but in a web environment such as the Magic Café, Penguin, or the other forums, we have to be careful what we release to the general (online magic) public.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Here's an example of the online mentality of some of the "magic" forums.

After asking about the details of a certain effect, and receiving several well constructed answers, this person's reply was:

"Thanks a lot I will buy it later but now I think I am going to buy an airsoft gun. Thanks"


Makes you wonder why we even bother... Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
Even if it's bulletproof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSR5_boMcc

Read the comments

NUFF SAID.

That occurs EVERYWHERE.

DROP IT.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Any video clip with language like this:

"Teh maddEST SkiLLz YET!!!"

I don't watch. You bet, I'll drop it. Drop before I even watch it.

Young person living in a modern world and opportunity to use an advanced language and they have to communicate like that.

D**N kids.... <---And don't even comment on those words as I'm too old for the nonsense.
karbonkid
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of karbonkid
First off, I could care less about the kids putting these out. I really could. Simply, and this is a fact, if they are tipping the method on what you do, or make you stop using Balducci Levitations, or what-have-you...it's time for you to go back and hit the books, my friend, and study.

I really don't hope that you think that effect that kid did was 'Bulletproof' by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, it passed, but, I could see the exact same thing online at one of the nameless.com magic sites and the people he was fooling, he would probably fool in person too...maybe.

Furthermore, I like doing videos, you know why? Cause I do perform live, every week, and because I do so, I get to meet some really great people from all over the country. I have a lot of friends in rock bands and I see them maybe once, or twice a year, if I am lucky, and I video effects that I'm working on and send them out for their enjoyment, or for their birthday, or just simply people that love what I do and can't make it out to see me live. If that is a crime, then shoot me. Then again, if I was really magic, I could catch the bullet from that shot and teleport to memphis, do the effect and teleport home.

If you want to go pointing fingers at anyone for this recent trend, point to Criss Angel and David Blaine, as they are doing the exact same thing, sans the internet. While you are at it, burn your video tapes and dvds, cause I've seen my share of terrible performances in that form of media as well, and I've paid for that.

I guess my point is you need to be good enough, and evolved enough as a magician to be above that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Online videos in public areas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL