The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Think about this... the magician draws a dove on a white board.. he produces a silk and starts to erase the dove.. little by little he erases the entire dove...he holds the silk up in front of him and pulls it away to reveal a dove.. with one problem. The doves tail is missing. The magician looks back at the board and realizes he's left the tail on the drawing. He erases the tail and turns back to the audience.. he runs the silk over the dove and magically the dove sprouts a full sized tail.

It's a new effect I've been working on.. but before I continue forward ( I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do it ).. I just want your guy's opinions on whether or not you think this is an original effect or not. I know their have been things like it.. but this is definitely my own creation.. well that I know of.. that's what you guys are here for!

Justin David
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It really all depends if the audience can understand the effect from a stage. It really does not sound that powerful a trick. Others have pulled of the head of doves and put them back on. So you go the other end.

Try it out, if you are asking if it would sell, I don't believe so. If you are asking has anyone heard of such an effect. I have not. Others have used framed boards to produce birds. I believe Hocus-Pocus is selling one now on line.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
LOL "so you go the other end." My water almost came out of my nose.

Well, I can see the way you are looking at it.. but I would definitely make sure it has a great flow to it. It's not meant for a final thrill, it's just another effect to add to one's repertoire.

It's something to build upon, but as always, I want to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes.

Thanks for the input, it's always appreciated.

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Sounds nice,

But as wmhegbli said, will it make sense on stage (maybe for close up magic only)? Does everyone in your audience know what a dove looks like and the length of its normal tail? Are they even going to understand there is no tail in the beginning, Or for that matter that one has appeared? It seems to me that from the back rows of the theater if you cover a dove with a silk and remove it making a tail appear they will have no idea it even occured.. How will you hold the bird to cleanly display the tail before and after the effect? How about you do something with the tail before the appearance of it to make your audience concious of it, to focus their attention on it. Hope this will help and is valid.

DJ
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Well yes.. I would obviously make sure the audience knew there was no tail on the dove before I finished the effect off.

I think it's pretty easy to tell a bird without a tail from any angle of a theater.. and especially when it didn't have one, and then all of a sudden does.

I will film it once I have the kinks out, and then have you guys give me an opinion of the video.

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
You gotta keep in mind what the audience will think of a dove with no tail, they may turn on you and find it inhumane...also keep in mind that the effect of producing a dove from nothing is a much strong effect and producing a tail on a dove, it will more than likely go completely over their heads.
DANSPERRY.COM
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Thanks for the input Dan. It's sad but true about the inhumane thing, people will try anything to make us look bad.

It's a work in progress.

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Justin, creativity is always good. While your idea may not be feasible for stage, it could lead to other ideas. Speech over. Now, as others above have said, from a stage, this effect may not go over well. When you produce the bird, I'm assuming it is going to be flapping it's wings like normal in which case, the audience is going to be unaware of the tail. You'l have to go out of your way to point out that it's missing. If the bird isn't flapping it's wings, then the audience is going to think "fake bird". Remember, from a distance, all the audience sees is flapping wings, not the anatomy of the dove.

Here's an idea. After erasing the picture, open the silk and show an exxagerated picture of a dove without a tale. Notice the tail still on the board and finish erasing. Then either produce the dove right away or open the silk to show a complete picture leading into the production.
Where the magic begins
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
If instead you use a printed dove on the silk missing a tail, perhaps its head too - you could get some good play out of the moment. Crunch up the silk with the torso and wings, wipe the head off the board and produce the dove off the board back revealing only the head (pause a beat) then produce the entire bird.
POOF!
amerkle
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of amerkle
I think the overall effect sounds great. Keep us posted!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL