The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is exposure right if it makes another effect stronger? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2778 Posts

Profile of John Long
I just saw the P&T clear cups & balls. It was very entertaining. Even with the clear cups, the balls just seemed to appear inside the cups. Maybe like Jonathan commented, revealed more by plot than method.

For another take on this:

Kenton Knepper, in Wonder Words, recommended starting a linking rings by pulling out a (extra)key ring and saying, "Oh, this one is broken", and then tossing it aside. Without saying that that is how linking rings work, it implies to the audience that that is *not* how it works, that that is *not* how the magician is going to accomplish the magic, else he(the magi) would not have shown it to the audience.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The idea of showing a "boken" or key ring before doing a ring routine was Dunninger's. But it was a RESPONSE to a previous mass exposure of the key ring in an advertising campaign of the day. It wasn't exposure for exposure's sake.

Knepper's suggestion is foolish and such an exposure is unwarranted.

It's placing a visual image of a break in a ring into the minds of those in the audience who otherwise might not have considered that the Performer would use such a ruse.

As I said, foolish and unneccessary.

- entity
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
First of all, as far as the audience goes, there is no difference between your new method and the old method, so your exposure has no real point as far as they're concerned. Most "exposure" or sucker-type tricks involve very old and obvious methods such as making something seem to vanish atop a very bulky, heavily draped table and then taking that apart to show it "really" vanished.

If you feel you must do some sort of exposure, it should be a false exposure using an obviously awkward and tricked up method that is completely unlike a real method.

That's what's done in a sucker egg bag routine where "secretly" removing the egg from the bag must be done so badly that it doesn't resemble any real methods.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
What about a false transfer as in the Vernon Cups and Balls routine where he says how he does the routine and he goes into the false transfer and dropping the ball behind the cup.
Personally, Ilike giving my audience respect. When I mention the false transfer, that is deep into the routine at the point where most of the audience understands that the ball never really goes into the hand (sometimes it does of course...), whether they see you not putting the ball in the hand, or not, they realize that you steal it away some way or another. Letting the audience in on this little secret notifies the audience that you don't think they aren't totally stupid.

After several card tricks I find the audience thinks I know what their card is the MOMENT they pick it/return it. In this case, I might say, "I am not sure exactly what your card is *wink wink* but I am going to find out using the following method..." Again, this is simply giving the audience respect. If they know you respect them, they will respect you and your magic.

Just a different benefit of your theory.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27151 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Why bother to discuss the false transfer at all?

It's not such a good joke if the next guy the see gets busted because you put the idea in their heads.

One way to be respectful of your audience is to NOT tell then what they can see.
Another way is to surprise them when you agree with what they believe and act surprised sometimes when the magic works. They know you are a performer and like to play along if you MAKE SURE you do your side of the show well.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2006-04-06 16:21, MagicMcQuade wrote:
Would it be right of me to explain about the trick sword, then do it with the regular sword.

So fake it - tell em some outrageous lie about how "other magicians do it", then surprise em with how you do it.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Ugh.

- entity
wildarr
View Profile
New user
Isle of Palms, SC
80 Posts

Profile of wildarr
I personally do not favor any exposure.

In Ammar's ETMCM, which I love by the way, several of his routines use scripts that indicate "what others might do." Usually he is indicating something so commmon in the public's perception, e.g. bottom dealing, that the exposure cause little to no real harm.

However, I still find these bits distasteful and would strive to come up with some other means of distraction.

Apologies to Mr. Ammar, in whose brilliance I stand enshadowed. It's just a personal preference.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is exposure right if it makes another effect stronger? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL