The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Video of Vanishing Bandana being performed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
Great...I see now. It does tell you to turn the box completely upside down and "dump" all the contents on the table...I see now where the 2nd banana comes in play. Like mentioned before in a previous post, A bandana could be reproduced and a note saying enjoy your "bonus" banana on us. The Banana Magic Company.....hmmmmm.
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
Nice show Eric...seems the kids really like you and that's a Talent in itself.
Thanks again!

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I agree....the voice-over definitely needs some work. An update if you will. I am having someone professionally record a new script for the vanishing bandana. I was wondering if any of youy magis had any funny lines or what not to add to it. Let's get the creative juices flowing.

Robert Haas
http://www.MagicEnhancer.com
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
I have a friend from England and we have talked about doing a customized version with his British accent. I shave my head, so there are some jokes about that we've talked about making. For example:

"The next step is to move two paces to the left."

"Umm...what does that have to do with the trick?"

"Oh, nothing. The glare from your head was burning my eyes."
Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
How about at one point having the directions tell you to put the bandana in your pocket or your assitants pocket.....

How about the directions telling you, right before you vanish the bandana, for comedy effect...blow your nose in the bandana.

I tried substituting a cat for the banana...it doesn't work.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Do most kids know what a bandana is? I'm not sure they would in Britain. I know bananas are inherently funny but I'd like to think of an alternative near-homophone pairing.
Jolyon Jenkins
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
Keeping it simple is the most important factor in this effect. I Tell the Audience I received this package today and wanted to share with all of you how us Magicians learn a trick. I open the box. (I use a priority shipping box from the Post Office, it's free.) I take the CD out and have the Emcee play it. The next 3 minutes is base on facial expressions and reactions. I actually walk up to someone and almost wipe that banana on their face. This is one of the biggest laughs I get during the routine. I found the messier you make it, the more laughs you get. The ending is kind of anticlimatic, but the laughs are worth more than the magic.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Excellent ideas on new patter for the CD. I"M interested to hear what others have to say.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
www.MagicEnhancer.com
amazing_gordo
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
35 Posts

Profile of amazing_gordo
The video was great! I loved the use of expressions to sell it!

I recently did the effect at a media party, and I used the "Acme Magic" box to contain the props, and on it I'd stuck all sorts of stamps and stickers I got off letters and parcels, to make it look like it came in the mail.

Then when I brought the box out to do the trick, I told the audience "I'm a member of the 'Trick Of the Month' club." It got a nice little laugh! LOL!
senoj derfla
View Profile
New user
Australia
31 Posts

Profile of senoj derfla
There was a time when I decided being a clown would be a good idea, and it worked well for 2 years. During this time I did the Bandana sketch with my partner, she was going to teach me the trick all I had to do was follow her instructions.

If you are not aware of this routine, the 1st clown has a bandana as apposed to the 2nd clown with the bandana. Just this month I thought I would add it to a show I was booked for, but instead of using a cassette recording I decided to hand the written instructions to a member of the audience, not a child, because I reasoned that not all children are great readers.

So I decided to ask an adult to do the job. BIG MISTAKE! Apart from being nervous he kept referring to the bandana as a banana following a remark from a kid in the audience who shouted out "That's a banana" Consequently the whole routine "Fell on its bottom".

My advice is, if you're going to do it, then do it with the recording the trick comes with. Australian kids don't really know completely what a bandana is and the "gag confusion" is not appreciated. Or get a partner and do the clown skit.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Great job Eric. You certainly put on a great routine. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Snidini
Terry Harris
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Terry Harris
I was under the understanding that this was invented by Howard Hale. Does anyone know. I wore my set out from using it at so many shows so I ordered a new one from Murphy's the other day and this swwms to be a rip off put out by Fab Magic. does anyone out there have the answer as to who's this is ??
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
I like David Copperfield's version best. the "Mr Rodgers" script make me almost cry from laughing.
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Does anyone know where I can locate David Copperfield doing this routine? I'd love to get my hands on it. Please PM me

RObert
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
There is a rather long and sordid tale concerning Tom Ogden, David Copperfield and this trick. But, I digress...

I watched a couple of the videos here and something doesn't jive. The premise of the joke, obviously, is that the magician is making the mistake of confusing 'bandana' for 'banana'. It really makes no sense that the package would arrive from the fictitious magic shop (or wherever you claim it's from) with a banana instead of a bandana. The gag is far funnier when it is the magician who is confused and supplies the wrong item.
Also, following the logic that this is meant to be (within the context of the comedy playlet) a real 'Vanishing Bandana' trick, why would someone vanish a bandana by placing it into yet another, albeit larger, bandana?

One of the nice things about Copperfield's routine (stolen though it may have been) was that it solved this illogic. David "borrowed" a handbag, per the recorded instructions, from an "audience member" and the banana was placed into and squished in same said bag.

His performance of it is very good and the audience loves it. I saw him do this live a few years ago when he resurrected it for one of the tours and it received enormous laughs and applause.
It's all in the reflexes.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
If you guys don't get seasick, I'll post the link to my presentation last month. I didn't have the camera on a tripod and the girl who was filming my whole show got a little tired. Smile
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-01-16 23:04, Terry Harris wrote:
I was under the understanding that this was invented by Howard Hale. Does anyone know. I wore my set out from using it at so many shows so I ordered a new one from Murphy's the other day and this swwms to be a rip off put out by Fab Magic. does anyone out there have the answer as to who's this is ??

Out of curiosity...did you get the male or female voice? My version is the female voice. I just heard the male version and I don't care for it.

JIM
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I've heard both. Neither are funny.
I would recommend making a new recording for this once you have it.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
You are correct, THEY are not funny. It is up to the performer to MAKE it funny, facial expressions, body gestures etc.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Agreed.
There are 2 ways it could go. One would be to have a very straight recording and play against it, or to have the recording be over-the-top, as David Copperfield's was, and it was quite funny.
Of course, David's performance made it funnier, but the caricature Mr. Rodgers-like voice was funny in and of itself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Video of Vanishing Bandana being performed (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL