The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Srage body magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Hello all....I'm a recent joiner to the Magic Café...wish I knew about this a few years ago when I started. I am a PT comedy magician in Regina, Canada and have become interested in the area of body or physical magic on stage. Those of you who are familiar with the Georgia Wonder type of books or who have read Fisher's 'Body Magic' will know what I'm talking about. Some of this is really very simple and involves balance or physics, rather than 'magic.' Still I think it would be entertaining to a modern day audience. So I would like to know if anyone has performed or seen some of this. Thanks for your honest feedback or any information you could pass along as to your opinion on this as an entertainment feature for a paying audience or what effects you have seen and enjoyed. Cheers.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
Are you talking about the kind of stuff David Blaine started doing? Endurance kind of stuff?
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
No he is talking about the kinds of things that are old carnival tricks, some used in martial arts today by people who both know they are tricks and those who believe they are actually doing something. A lot of aikido people (I'm dan ranked in two aikido systems, so I do know what I'm talking about not running down something I don't understand) do these as "ki" or "chi" demonstrations. Such as not being able to be lifted by someone much larger than you, or being able to stand against a large number of people trying to push you over, etc. Yes I've performed them in both martial arts and in magic. anything done that is entertaining and done in an entertaining an audience enjoys. If the point is to just show ur some kind of strong man, no not much interest other than a few gullibles. I've done them at times to demonstrate the unapparent weaknesses and strengths of the human body. I've used them to debunk a lot of myth in martial arts. Many an unscrupulous individual out there have used such tricks to make themselves appear to be some sort of super martial arts master. There is enough real martial art without adding a bunch of tricks to the bag. I've even watched an alleged "super master" use an IT loop to claim to have psychokinetic powers from his "advanched chi". You might find some entertainment value in a lecture of such as exposure. Or like I've done, "as a demonstration of simple application of the laws of mechanics and physics to demonstrate unapparent strengths and weaknesses in the human body"
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
Osterlind has demonstrated a couple of examples of body magic on his recent dvd's....the Locked Eye Test comes to mind. He also demos something called the Abnormal Lift, where 4 smaller women can briefly lift a normal-sized man from a sitting position each by the use of two fingers alone.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I used some of this "earth magic" as we Wizards tend to call it in the routine I wrote for The Wizards' Journal #4 based, on the interest generated by the movie "National Treasure." The routine is called "The Power of Money" and uses some of the body magic ideas to "sap" the strength of an audience member before making him think he only imagined the money you were showing him moments before. Used in this way, as part of another trick or routine, it can be quite effective and it's done before anyone can think about it too much. It helps to convince the audience that the power you are showing them is "real" or as real as it gets, anyway.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
I'm preparing to do a 4 person levitation on stage or as a team-building demo.....many may be familiar with this...starts of with 4 chairs all facing different directions wuth the 4 volunteers eventually being supported only by their lower legs and their head and shoulders resting on the lap of the volunteer next to them. I've seen this on video clips and think I figured out how to do it.....the next step is to just do it!!!...probably with my nephews as a test!!
indysmagic
View Profile
New user
cherokee, tx
63 Posts

Profile of indysmagic
I love these type of body tricks. I am very cautious about stunts that could in any way harm someone or give the appearance that someone could be harmed. For example, I used to do the stunt where it someone is suspended between two chairs by their head/shoulders and their feet. Then someone would stand on them. Now, my fear is getting someone with a non-related injury and having them say I did something to throw out their back or the like. People are too litigeous these days.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Srage body magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL