The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Criticism Hurts Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 00:26, George Ledo wrote:
Me, I like to leave the ego in the next room and just read the thing objectively.

Agreed and I find the only time I can think and work sanely is when I hang it up on that very nail. I can only think and do so many things in a day and none of them at the same time.

A dear family friend and psychologist always reminded me of my three letter friend EGO - "The bast*** only wants to destroy you....'tis all...."
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2006-04-21 23:17, George Ledo wrote:
But none of this hurts theatrical design, because the field of theatrical design is a lot bigger than the half-baked critics out there.

Magic is not that big of a profession. Magic and people that do it for a living and are making millions are very few. Magic and people that make money doing it are self employed people that do there best to eak out a living.

This self employed small almost non existent market is hardly to be compared to the business of theater.

Forgive me for saying so - there are more half baked critics out there in magic than there are performers making a living. I do not see how this helps magic. As a whole and the way the public see's magicians as a group I think it hurts magic. I suggest magicians go out and interview people. Ask them - what do you think of magicians? Do you like magicians? Do you like watching magic?

Besides the few that they name - they have some interesting things to say if asked and you might be surprised by their answers.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2006-04-21 23:01, Dannydoyle wrote:
It seems more like the title should be "criticism hurts my feelings".

I mean really to argue that critical thought hurts any process is just flat out wrong.

Criticism doesn't hurt my feelings and it never has. There is that word again argue. When magicians argue magic I leave the room.

But I am open to talk magic and share opinion with just about anyone that is open and wants to TALK magic.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
On one hand you have criticism that is often nothing more than jealous derision, then there is critique, which is meant to be helpful.
Remember not to confuse the two based on who, what, where and why.
Some are critical as a matter of their competitive nature - they want to win, they must, they don't want the cake, they want the icing... me,me,me,now,now,now,yum,yum,yum.
POOF!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Reputation, reputation, reputation! O, I have lost my reputation! I have lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial."
-“Cassio” in Shakespeare's "Othello"-

In sport they have a rule “Bringing the game into disrepute.” which covers many things but they use it to control those in the game from criticising it in public. Those in the game have agreed it’s a good idea not to say anything bad about the game in public. They are conscious of the games reputation. Good idea not to wash their dirty linen in public sort of I suppose. They feel they have more than enough public critics outside the game without them adding logs to the fire. If magic took a leaf of that book and made criticism a private thing it might be better than how it is done now, usually in public.

Once someone has lost his reputation, it is very difficult for the individual to regain it. When a person is caught stealing, he is forever thought of as a thief. He is branded a thief for the rest of his life. No matter what he does later on, he is usually associated with the one thing that he has done wrong. People continue to condemn him for the criminal act. The expression "give a dog a bad name and hang him" is used to mean when an individual acquires a bad name, he gets stuck with it. It is also possible to replace "bad" with "ill". Here are a few examples.
*Harish was arrested because there was a burglary in his neighbourhood. The poor guy wasn't even in town. I think it's a case of give a dog a bad name and hang him.

That is as equally applicable to the art as it is to an individual magician. So maybe those magicians who put stuff up should ask for private criticism via pm or emails or something. In other words it isn’t the criticism that might hurt magic or a magician but the open criticism by fellow magicians that might. I don’t know really what I think, I have not made up my mind about it, I am just pondering the subject.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks for posting kregg - I agree with that.

Tommy great post......

Ruff - Ruff - Bow wow Bishop!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 09:20, tommy wrote:
Once someone has lost his reputation, it is very difficult for the individual to regain it.

How true that USED to be, when honor and dignity was everything - Paris Hilton.

Kregg
POOF!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 12:40, kregg wrote:
Quote:
Once someone has lost his reputation, it is very difficult for the individual to regain it.

Oh I just live for the day when they publish her works of wisdom. I mean anyone, regardless of age or lack of brains, but with a billion dollars, must have something worth saying and hearing.
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 12:40, kregg wrote:
Quote:

Well, Paris DOES have a reputation........

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Touche Geoff
POOF!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile LOL You guys kill me. Get together with Whit and Jason and you would be a riot. You remind me of the old Rat Pack with Dean Martin & Co. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Criticism Hurts Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL