The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Gim Crack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I just spent $10 on a gim crack mike holder for events where the client provides the wrong mike. Its so nice and I was so convinced by Maximum Entertainment I'm going to go out and buy a hand-held!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
782 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I have had a Gim-Crack for about 3 years now. It has been a lifesaver. Considering the materials used, one might think it is over priced but not if you actually USE IT and have it on hand for piece of mind!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
It's not overpriced at all. Malloy sells a nice one at 3 times the price.
I like the gimcrack even better.

I take one with me to all my stand-up shows.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5852 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I own three of them. I use a Sennheiser e845s wth it and it works great! Even Michael Finney was plugging the gim-crack, when I saw him lecture, a few years ago.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1193 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Where can you buy these? Link?

Thanks,
Cody
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Cody:

Here they are:

http://www.wizardcraftmagic.com/WebStore......sID=3092

http://malloymodernmagic.com/freedom.htm

I am very happy with the Malloy Holder.

Ron
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1603 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I've always used the wireless headset, and only recently heard about the Gim Crack. A new sound system I purchased had a wireless handheld mic, so I purchased a Gim Crack. I used it yesterday in a show at a local hospital (long-term care residents), and I absolutely loved it! Even better than the headset! I'm going to stick with this method for awhile to give it a longer test for myself.

The clincher came at the end of the show, with the coordinator needed to say a few words to the group. She had no mic, and asked to borrow mine. I simply took the mic out of the Gim Crack and handed it to her. I couldn't have done that with the headset. Smile

Brian
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I tried this set up a long time ago and it didn't work well for me. I move around way too much during my show. The movements created differences in distance between me and the microphone and, as a result, the PA system had a hard time adjusting to the various sound levels.

Also, I found that when I needed to put the microphone in front of a volunteer, it created certain difficulties. You see, I've always believed that if you ask a volunteer a question, the audience should be able to hear their anwser (otherwise, why ask the question in the first place). This meant that I was constantly taking the microphone out of the holder and putting it back on again. I viewed myself on video once and it looked really awkward.

In addition to this, I found that many of my volunteers (mostly young children) spoke extremely softly whenever a microphone was placed in front of them. Since the PA volume was adjusted to my voice, the volunteers often could not be heard, even with the microphone.

These days, I prefer the wireless headset. Once adjusted, it remains in at a constant distance from my mouth. This creates a consistency in sound level so there's no fading in or out of my voice.

If I need a volunteer to be heard, I also have a handheld microphone to put in front of the volunteer. Since my sound systems are all designed to accommodate two microphones, this works nicely. I can adjust the volume level for the volunteer mic separately so as to ensure the volunteer can be heard without any difficulty. And, I can turn that microphone off whenever I don't need the volunteer to be heard.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5852 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Kent,

Maybe the model of handheld mike just wasn't the right one for the job - I've used a few handheld mikes that sound lousy. The Sennheiser model that I use works great, unless you're doing a dance act or acrobatics. It also has high gain before feedback. I've been known to stand in front of my speaker and speak, yet I get no feedback - it's quite loud, too.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
I find that the Gimcrac type of mic holder has an effect of setting you up to look like the guy hawking juice machines at Costco.

It's a well used technology that has been surpassed for years by wired headset mics at the least, and wireless headset mics at the most.

Having a massive assembly hanging off the front of your body isn't a normal way to appear in front of a crowd, and makes acting "natural" impossible.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I agree with Silverking that a top quality wireless headset mic is the way to go.

I have a hand held mic and a Gim Crack holder with me only as a backup in the unlikely event that something catastrophic happens to my wireless headset. Only then would I use it.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Good point, Alan.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 22:52, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I just spent $10 on a gim crack mike holder for events where the client provides the wrong mike. Its so nice and I was so convinced by Maximum Entertainment I'm going to go out and buy a hand-held!

Hey Nicholas, Would you mind telling me where you got that mic holder. thanks TJ
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Quote:
On 2006-07-05 12:48, silverking wrote:
I find that the Gimcrac type of mic holder has an effect of setting you up to look like the guy hawking juice machines at Costco.

It's a well used technology that has been surpassed for years by wired headset mics at the least, and wireless headset mics at the most.

Having a massive assembly hanging off the front of your body isn't a normal way to appear in front of a crowd, and makes acting "natural" impossible.

LOL!!!! I couldn't agree more! I absolutely HATE the way this looks. Why would anyone care if I sound good if I look like a dork? I'm getting a hand held to have on hand for volunteers and I'm using a headset.

To each their own. I just feel that if I'm going to use a Gimcrac I might as well wear a white T-Shirt with a BBQ Sauce stain...
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Everything has it's place in a given situation. For attracting people at trade show type atmosphere the gim crack is perfectly fine since people are pretty accustomed to seeing it. At an elegant performance in a tux the gim crack might look a bit out of place. I generally use a lavalier mic at more formal or uppity settings and gim crack at more casual. I also often employ a handheld wireless with a lavalier so that I can converse with volunteers. The combo is also great when doing vent on the volunteer. The headset mic has it's pros and cons as well. Some will say you look authoratative and some will say you look like a Madonna wannabe. Everything has it's place and time. If you feel uncomfortable using a particular setup, you will look uncomfortable. I have seen performers use a gim crack in a very formal setting and pull it off wonderfully because they look so comfortable with it. Use what makes you comfortable and enhances your performance. I have never heard anyone say..."wow..that would have been a great performance if it wasn't for that silly mic hanging around his neck".
Circus Bambouk
View Profile
Loyal user
Tempe, AZ
256 Posts

Profile of Circus Bambouk
Quote: John Bowlin wrote: "I have never heard anyone say..."wow..that would have been a great performance if it wasn't for that silly mic hanging around his neck."

However, I have had audience members try to swat away the 'horsefly' on my lapel and a child who thought my E6 was a 'string' holding on my 'mask'.

Form vs. Function. I'm a more visually driven person, so that even though I do have occasional problems with my headset or lapel, I cannot bring myself to sacrifice the silhouette, the brilliance of Maximum Entertainment notwithstanding. Also, a white E6 works great for my 'singing living statue'...as Mr. Bowlin said, "everything has its place in a given situation."

Best wishes,

Brian
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
No mic is perfect. The least-visible mics, even when used well, are the worst for avoiding feedback. The most-visible mics, when used well, will go the loudest without feedback.

If you take thing's on/off your head (like a 'prop comic'), or if you do costume changes, of if you do a LOT of on-stage spectator work, or if you can afford only one mic and do SOME on-stage spectator work, then a handheld with an around-the-neck holder may be the right choice for you.

My next article in Street Magic Magazine will address many issues surrounding mic selection.
Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I made a big investment and bought a portabal sound system. Then bought my own head set. Of course this is only for big shows, but helps alot.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If nothing else, a gim-crack is THE perfect thing to toss into your case just in case all else fails and you're stuck using something you're otherwise unprepared to use.

I always bring one and rarely use it.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2702 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree, the gim-crack is a bit antiquated -- but in an emergency, you'll be glad that you had it. It's cheap insurance.

By the way, does anyone know WHY it's called a gim-crack and how it got that name? Just curious! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Gim Crack (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL