The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Gim Crack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mattillusion
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of Mattillusion
Does anyone have a current source for buying a Gim-Crack? I can't find a shop that carries it.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
The Malloy mic holder should also be mentioned. It works great for me!

http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/freedom.htm

Sam
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I've always thought these things look horrible. Maybe I'm too concerned with appearance, but I think they draw too much attention to the microphone - not to mention it holds the mic at a position that isn't natural to the way that most handheld microphones work.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
They certainly don't look great but when you gotta have one ya gotta have one.

I would say that it looks better than fumbling around with a microphone and looking like you've never been on stage befre.

Your point is well taken tho.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2702 Posts

Profile of sethb
Mike, I agree with you about the gim-crack's appearance, but remember that at this point in time, it's basically an antique.

The only reason I carry one is as an emergency backup. This way, if my wireless mic goes south for some reason, I have a small wired mike that I can drop into the gim-crack and finish the show.

And as Frank points out, it's still better than nothing at all. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5853 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
One thing that really speaks to his stage presence, is that no one seemed to really notice that Jeff Hobson uses what appears to be a Gim-Crack, during his performances. Sure, his is white, to blend into his shirt, but he handles the microphone without giving it a thought.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1207 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Alan,

If you've ever noticed, Jeff keeps it tucked under his collar and out of site till he needs it to hold the mic. Jeff thinks of everything, and his "gim crack" is no exception.

Ken
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
I keep a gim crack in my case with a couple of different types of microphones. I have my favorites but you never know what kind of situation you will be thrown into. I agree I do not like having a big mic hanging around my neck, but there have been a few times it was the only answer. For the price, no reason to not have one in your case if you think it has value.

Spending money on a good mic or sound system has got to be a no brainer for us as performers. If they can't hear you or your sound system has problems your show is going to tank.

I remember many years ago we were doing a stage show. On the bill was a few known magicians. I was flabbergasted that one performer showed up with a radio shack microphone and then complained that the sound guys couldn't get his stuff to work correctly.

Christian & Katalina
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
I started to use one of these after reading Maximum Entertainment, and seeing Jeff Hobson live. I was also in a magic contest years ago and probably would have won had the sound guy turned my mic on at the board. I was so mad, the mic was on I'm a sound guy myself and I even told him what mic pack I had on and still no sound. They brought out a mic on a stand and I had not blocked my routine for it so I just spoke loud and one of the judges marked me off because I wouldn't use a mic. He didn't know I had one on...

Now I always use a hand held mic. If you get a good one they will ALWAYS sound better than a headset, or lavaliere. When you make a mic smaller you loose sound quality... they are getting much better now but still are inferior in sound. I just bought a new shure wireless system and was able to use my shure Beta 87A head on it, and I always know if I have bad sound its not because of my mic.

Even if you use a lav, or headset train yourself to use a handheld, because one day you will need that skill.
Michael Finney uses a hand held. Max Maven uses one and often time does not use a stand at all for his show or a Gim Crack. Jeff Hobson uses a hand held. Last I saw Jeff McBride Uses a hand held. All of our "old timers" had to use them.

I'm not trying to change anyone I'm just suggesting you think about it. Good hand held mics will sound better.

Thanks,
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I completely agree with you Fitz. You should be able to do your show (or a show) with a handheld mic. You never know.

Good advice.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 12:42, Mystical Matthew wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-07-05 12:48, silverking wrote:
I find that the Gimcrac type of mic holder has an effect of setting you up to look like the guy hawking juice machines at Costco.

It's a well used technology that has been surpassed for years by wired headset mics at the least, and wireless headset mics at the most.

Having a massive assembly hanging off the front of your body isn't a normal way to appear in front of a crowd, and makes acting "natural" impossible.

LOL!!!! I couldn't agree more! I absolutely HATE the way this looks. Why would anyone care if I sound good if I look like a dork? I'm getting a hand held to have on hand for volunteers and I'm using a headset.

To each their own. I just feel that if I'm going to use a Gimcrac I might as well wear a white T-Shirt with a BBQ Sauce stain...

I find the headset makes me look like Britney Spears or kid working the Macdonalds drive thru. I also prevents interaction with the audience

A hand held mike makes you look like a comedian or a speaker rather than a pop singer.

However, the gim crack is NOT something that should hold the mike for the WHOLE show. but only when you are away from the mike stand and need two hands
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I wear a belt and make sure my trousers are always hoiked up. That way the audience never sees my gim crack.

George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Gim Crack (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL