The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » No.2 Pencil (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
291 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Did anyone have trouble with getting the No.2 pencil to revolve "precisely" the right amount in order for the writing to appear exactly where it needs to be at the other end?

Sometimes it works beautifully for me and sometimes it looks off, which I assume is not what we are going for here.

Thanks for any help.
Asmayly.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I had exactly the same problem Asmayly. The standard paddle move is just harder to hit right on because of the number of surfaces on the pencil and sometimes they require a slight adjustment to finish. If you try just doing the covered rub moves you can nail it everytime.
Yakworld.
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
291 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Burt,
Actually I think it's the "rub" move I'm having trouble with: where the writing goes from the top of the pencil to the bottom (not where the writing appears on one or both sides of the same end).

It's the "twirl" of the fingers that I cannot seem to predict that causes the misalignment.

How can one align the pencil to the fingers when twirling so that it creates the right illusion every time? (As you say, there are so many edges, it doesn't seem quite possible ...)

Asmayly
MxJoKeR
View Profile
Regular user
Nowhere, Oklahoma
173 Posts

Profile of MxJoKeR
Just make it smooth and act confident in what you are doing and believe that it is happening and the spec will too.
Do or Do-Not, There is no try--Yoda
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hmmm. I found the rub moves easier as I was "controlling" the move with both hands instead of just one. Also if you do miss you can keep your hand covering and make a slight adjustment while continuing the rub.

I feel your pain brother. Sorry I can't offer any better advice.
Yakworld.
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
291 Posts

Profile of asmayly
Thanks anyway, Burt. I'll try 2 hands and keep practicing.

Asmayly
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
I found the same problem myself. It just takes some practice and working with the pencil to get it to turn just right. If you watch the Jenest video, you'll see he adjusts his grip at times to prepare to do the move under a pretense of squeezing the eraser.
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
In the instructions to the #2 Pencil, Jenest also mentions that the move can be done in either direction, rotating left or right, but
"if you **** to the right you won't need to readjust the pencil for the following paddle move."

Other than that, I can only recommend doing it many, many times while watching to make sure the marks end up where you want them to:
soon you will know by feel alone.

I toast your perseverence!

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
I've found that when I over-revolve the pencil, it's because I'm gripping the pencil too tightly. If I loosen the death grip, everything smooths out and works properly.

DonB
onebark
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
141 Posts

Profile of onebark
I second the 'loose grip' theory, DonB. A tight grib creates too much movement and an innacurate tap. BTW, the tap should always strike the exact same part of the palm.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I just takes some practice like anything else. once you find the rigt grip or spot it become second nature
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » No.2 Pencil (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL