We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do you "break-in" cards before use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2088 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I was wondering who prefers to use a new deck of cards when performing or who prefers to "break-in" a deck before use. If you prefer to break-in the deck, what method(s) do you use? Thanks.

Regards, Steve
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4358 Posts

Profile of rannie
I prefer to break in a deck. Although there is nothing like a new deck, I found it to be too slippery. I break it in by doing Faros. 1st it Faro trains the deck, second it causes the cards to rub on each other , getting rid if the initial slippery feel.

Ed marlo would rub one card at a time back and front on his close up mat to get rid of the excessive slippery feel of a brand new deck.

Hope this helps

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
Ideally, I like the cards to be slightly broken in, but also have all the cards remain straight. I usually just shuffle and cut the deck for a couple of minutes until it's not quite as slippery as it is straight out of the box. Anyway, it usually doesn't really matter a whole lot, but I find it helpful after you've gotten used to performing with a more beat-up deck for a while.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
Although I love the smell of new decks I always break them in with a few Faro shuffles and springs both with the deck face-up and face-down. It helps give them a little flexibility and pick up a little dust mites in order to be a little sticky.
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4633 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Depends on the deck.

For shows, I microwave the decks for 7 then 5 seconds in a ziploc bag, sandwiching the deck between the two jokers/extra cards.

The cards look new, but handle like a deck you've had for a month...

but, it depends on the deck. Some decks are ready to go when they're first opened.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Never heard of that nordatrax. Why for shows? What kind of work are you doing in the show? I gotta try this microwave idea. Is the ziploc bag left open a little, or do you zip it locked?

For me it all depends on the use of the deck. Manip cards take allot of breaking in. Stack work requires manny fero shuffles, and so prep is small depending on the cards. Tally Ho cards seem to faro out of the box so some fero shuffles and your going, for exactly the reason stated above, takes off the slipery. Bicycle cards seem to take a few regular riffle shuffles before they will fero good. Also I bend the cards a little in and out so they take more air. I find that the best state for cards on a daily basis is after you have used them one day, and then put them in a card press over night.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I do some faros, then do some pressure fans & overhand/hindu shuffles to take some of the slickness off the cards. I don't overdo it though 'cause I like the feel of a new deck...too bad it doesn't last long huh? Afterwards I park 'em in my Porper until I feel the urge to do it again. Smile Smile
:bikes: Smile Smile
:hypnodisk: KRaZy4kardz Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Yes. Springs, riffle shuffles, pressure fans, etc. They handle much better then.
Ninian
View Profile
New user
London, England
26 Posts

Profile of Ninian
Microwaving decks!
wow... wouldn't they just buckle like getting heat crimp?

Still, I always thinks deck for slieghts are best after a few weeks. Not so slippy as new but not sticky yet.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Yes, I do... I sometimes use the method I described in this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1353 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I like to break in the deck.
it is truly too slippery when brand new.
a few fans , some shuffles get the job done for me.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2088 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Thanks for all your input. I'll give some of them a try (I may wait a little longer before I try the microwave Smile.

Regards,
Steve
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I can't deal with the stiffness of a new deck and always like to break mine in with a long series of faros, springs, riffle shuffles and waterfalls. I've got to try the microwave thing just because I've never heard of it before and simply have to experience this one for myself. Very creative (I think??), Nordatrax. What inspired you to do this in the first place?
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Yes, 3 faros, 1 spring one way, another spring another way.. a little lepaul spread.. then I burn incense while chanting, "ooooooooh bikey bikey bikeyy, ooooooh bikey bikey bikey" they should be broken in by then...
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1773 Posts

Profile of SIX
Lol, Em you crazy lol.I do what I learned from Oz Pearlman one time.SHuffle at least 20-25 times and you should be fine.Breaks them in pretty good.
Murdoch82
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Murdoch82
I do nothng more than a couple (2 to 3) faro shuffles. This is enough to ge them working. The thing is most people use decks which have been in play for awhile to practice with. This is not good when you open an new deck at the start of your performance. Try to get use to using new cards right out of the box.
magiczim
View Profile
New user
Philly
67 Posts

Profile of magiczim
Well, depending on how hungry you are when you open the deck, the microwave might seem like a good place to be. pop in your lasagna and cards, and you get a meal AND a broken in deck.
I might have to try this...even if it ruins the deck, it might be a fun activity to do with the family...
"We live within the recreation of others" - René Lavand
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
Ok I though it was crazy too but I just nuked a brand new deck of bikes that were stiff as a board and they are really nice now. Amazing the knowledge we can find here. I did it for five seconds with the deck in the box and inside of a zip loc bag. Probably the best advice I've gotten in years. Now how about some tips on making the edges smooth? Then it would really be a perfect deck. Thank you very much Nordatrax.
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
771 Posts

Profile of Loz
The big question for Nordatrax is:

How in the world did you find this out????

Were you just handling a deck one day and said "ooh wonder how they microwave?"

Or did you have some a priori reason for thinking it might be a good idea?

L
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ It's on p.18 of Erdnase's Expert at the Card Table.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do you "break-in" cards before use? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL