The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Seeking Advice From People Who are Technolgicaly Knowledgable (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hi,

I am hoping to find advice here from those who know about technological things of which I have no clue.

You see, my dad died a couple months ago, and while digging through my old cassete tapes recently, I found a treasure. It was a cassete tape with about ten minutes of my dad's voice as he was having fun at a family gathering. It was recorded about 1974, with my small portable cassette recorder. To my knowledge, this is the only existing recording of my dad's voice!

Naturally, it is destined to become an heirloom, but there is a problem which I don't know how to solve: to wit, tthe tape sufers from a lot of background noise...mainly tape hiss, and the annoying "whir" of the motor in the cassette player. Mostly the latter.

Anyway, I am quite cognizant of the fact that it is INDEED technologically possible to eliminate that extraneous noise, leaving only the voices, and bringing them out in a very clear fashion. I am sure the FBI and other such organazations have the technology to do this.

But I am NOT about to call the FBI!

What I want to do is to have this process done,and then make several copies to give to various family members as gifts.

Can anybody here tell me how I can get this done, and of course at a reasonable fee?

If anyone can help, this would be deeply appreciated!
Thanks,

Doug
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Soundforge Noise Reduction module
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Doug,

I would call your local radio/TV station and talk to the technical people. They may know of somebody locally (or do it themselves on the side). They will know who will be competant, hopefully.

If you care to do it yourself, I googled for a bit and came up with this site:

Cassette Tape Restoration

AT least this will give you a bit of background. Good luck and let me know how it goes. I have 60 reals of old super 8 film I have to recover and put on DVD, made by my wife's parents...from the 40's and 50's. This is equally challenging for me.
Coram Deo
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That's an interesting link. Baking cassette tapes?? "Hey mom. What's for dinner?" Man, what will they think of next!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thanks Steven for the link, I am finding it most useful.
Doug, I have some excellent software for just that kind of job. If you would like to make a copy of the original and send it to me, I will do it for you at no charge. PM me if you are interested.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I will Pm you!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
There is an old but good program called DART (digital audio restoration technology) that lets you run specific algorithms from hiss removal too warp correction.
I used this too restore my fathers vynil 78's from his recordings in 1952.

I used too be a recording engineer and would get many requests to restore audio. The tools used are as varied as the damage to the audio and no single solution is used.

If you can digitize it and send it too me I can have a go for you. Just dig' a 30 second bad section and I will diagnose for you as you may need to retrack the players head to the original recorded track position before you digitize.

Much improvement can be found by adjusting the play heads, back, forward, up and down.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Steven Steele.

The best and easiest method for 8mm film xfer is too aquire a projector and film the projection with a modern video camera.

The alternative is a painfully long process of scanning each frame into a computer. Telecines don't handle 8mm anymore so a realtime scan is not on.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Seeking Advice From People Who are Technolgicaly Knowledgable (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL