The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Svengali deck (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I suspect that gink103 must have had a demo of the decks and was fooled by them or else gink103 would not have made the purchase.
About the only thing I use a Svengali for is the rising card effect which only some Magician's are even aware that a Svengali is being used.
A stripper deck is good for doing a force or keeping control of a card but you still need to learn how to do these with a regular deck as well.
I believe gink103 that as you grow with Magic and become more Knowledgeable you will change your mind about the "Garbage" that you believe these tools to be.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Aguas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Aguas
You should be happy that you got those decks... But remember that just by themselves they are not effects or tricks, they merelya tool.. maybe the effects you've seen using this tools were not very strong but there are some gems out there... Doing triumph with a stripper deck is just amazing.
Gasman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Gasman
I've seen some great sleight of hand pros ring in a Svengali deck and kill a group of fellow magicians. There are some great routines using a Svengali that never even look like the typical Svengali effect...just think outside the box a bit.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I have used and played with the Svengali deck for years...I've heard all this
bru ha-ha and such over selling 'em.

A few weeks ago I was in the local Dollar Tree and picked up several decks. Today I was at a local event and sold them all for $10...money I got to keep that is!

So to my thinking...

The Svengali Deck is the best gimmicked deck in the friggen world!!!!

I got tah get me more of these puppies!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
In my last post I mmentioned I sold the Svengali dacks for $10...thats each for $10.

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1700 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2006-04-13 17:40, gink103 wrote:
Does any professional sleight of hand magician actually use this peice of garbage. I went to a magic shop a couple weeks ago to get some double backed cards. The owner talked me into buying a stripper deck and Svengali deck and said all working magicians use them. Oh he also got me to get the dvd with the decks too lol. All I can say is that they are worthless garbage. These decks atleast from my point of view are for kids that don't wanna learn magic and just want to show their friends. The tricks on the dvd were soooooo horrible I wanted to slap they magician on them.

Worthless garbage. Any comments?

As mentioned in many posts-I too use this as a tool maybe once in a stage show!-works fine when use in longer routines but very quickly-shuffle the deck get spec to name his birthdate etc-count down to that card!!-In all the years I use this over 20 now!! -I have never shown all the cards the same as there is no need for routines I use

On the street I do a pitch to attract crowds & the Svengali works so well-Again I do not show all the cards the same- I have a set routine of 3 effects using this deck combined for some good entertainment-makes you look like a real pro & creates a good laugh with spectators!-Then I move on

Cheers
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1941 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Here is a super effect I got out of Encyclopedia of Card Magic for the Svengali Deck. I will just tell you the routine, if you own a Svengali Deck you will understand.

Riffle the deck for the spectators "free" selection of a card, tell them to remember the card, you now cut the deck a number of times to "lose" their card. Hand the deck to the spectator and ask them to deal two piles of cards face down one at a time on the table. After they have completed this you have them "freely" select either pile. have them turn the pile they selected face up and to look for their card, their selection is not in this pile. Now have the spectator name a number between 1 - 26, have them pick up the other pile and count face down to their freely selected number. Guess what, when the card is turned face up it is their card..Now that would sell for a lot of money if advertised like that, well you own it if you have a Svengali Deck..ASnd the trick is not GARBAGE..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Aguas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Aguas
Woudln't it be a bit dangerous having the spectator handling the deck ?

Good effect tho.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Letting a spec handle a Sven deck? Yeah, it is abit dangerous, however a seasoned pro would know 'who' to hand the deck to.

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1941 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 21:50, Aguas wrote:
Woudln't it be a bit dangerous having the spectator handling the deck ?

Good effect tho.

Not really, they keep the deck face down and do what they are told. The only time it is face up it is the indiffent card pile. Trust me and try it...
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
842 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I read a great trick using a Svengali deck a few years ago but I can't remember what it was or where I read it. All I recall is that the cards were not alternated short-long. It was set up differently, I think all the longer mixed cards on top of all the short all the same cards, or vice versa. If anyone knows the effect please PM me, I'm going nuts.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1941 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-05-15 01:22, foolsnobody wrote:
I'm going nuts.

Welcome to the world of magic. You have to be a little nutty to really enjoy this wonderful hobby of ours. Of course I would not have it any other way..
Rennie
Vater Araignee
View Profile
Regular user
MI
168 Posts

Profile of Vater Araignee
Here is an idea:
Lose a lot of mobility in your hands like I did, but refuse to give up magic.
You will find gaffed decks to be miraculous and I'm not just talking about the effect you can perform but the fact that working with them may help bring back the mobility without the need of those mind numbing physical therapy exorcises. (I'm not suggesting you don't do the exorcises)
I would also say that a person that snubs gaffed deck for doing it by pure sights typically falls into the intermediate stage of magic and has something to prove.
Now that's not to say all anti-gaff performers are that way but I have noticed it to be a general rule.
"Good enough never is." - Vater Araignee
cybersmudge1393
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of cybersmudge1393
I love both decks. In fact I had always had an interest in magic. But as I got older and married Ithought well iguess this is kids stuff. Then took the family on vacation to vegas. We went into a magic shop and these two decks blew me away, also everyone in the shop. It got great reactions. I now continue to work these decks in and still get great reactions. They have a place in what we do. Thanks to all for the valuable info on this site.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Quote:
On 2006-05-14 21:20, Rennie wrote:
Here is a super effect I got out of Encyclopedia of Card Magic for the Svengali Deck. I will just tell you the routine, if you own a Svengali Deck you will understand.

Riffle the deck for the spectators "free" selection of a card, tell them to remember the card, you now cut the deck a number of times to "lose" their card. Hand the deck to the spectator and ask them to deal two piles of cards face down one at a time on the table. After they have completed this you have them "freely" select either pile. have them turn the pile they selected face up and to look for their card, their selection is not in this pile. Now have the spectator name a number between 1 - 26, have them pick up the other pile and count face down to their freely selected number. Guess what, when the card is turned face up it is their card. Now that would sell for a lot of money if advertised like that, well you own it if you have a Svengali Deck.And the trick is not GARBAGE..Rennie

Rennie, That is a powerful effect if handled properly. I know of several routines that involve separating the long and short. I tend to avoid them because when you are all done you are stuck reassembling the deck. I can do it pretty quickly putting the key card packet on top of the long card packet and pulling off two at a time. Even so, it does take time to reset and looks funny if you are doing it between tables.

I guess you could use it as "the killer closer" in a longer close-up show. It has been my experience, limited though it is, that when working close-up you are either going to the next table/group or there is an new group coming over to you. Either way, it's tough to say "just a moment while I get ready".

BTW: Am I the only one that has an occasional error in the stack show up when using the deck for long periods of time? Invariably, at some point when using the deck repeatedly, I will end up w/two odd cards together and two key cards together. I tend to think of it terms of the key card getting misplaced and it is fairly easy and quick to fix. It can be embarrassing when you show an odd card when the key card is supposed to be there. Has never been a real problem. I simply glance at the deck, and if the next card is a key card turn it over as if I meant for that to happen.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
I won a contest at large magic convention using a Svengali Deck. They are an extremely useful tool for performing miracles including selected card at any number. Ted Lesley used it in a modified Milt Kort effect that Ted titled "Svengali on the Phone Lines" which got great response from many magicians at a World Magic Seminar when he lectured on it. A tool is only as good as an operator. A lathe is probably a piece of garbage to you unless you work with wood a lot, and unless you have any screws to tighten, even a screwdriver is useless to you.

It is a funny thing but many magic tricks that were passed over by so many magicians (usually it is the ones that always have to try the latest effects and since they are more focused on method that impact they tend to pass over the ones that they already know) including classics like the "coin in nested boxes" (usually sold by Adams), "coin in bottle", "dime and penny", "coin thru rubber", "antigravico", "braiwave" are the ones that were done by David Baline, someone who knew the impact these "simple" effects had and used them to the best of his abilities. All the tricks are classics for a reason and should never be overlooked.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The deck is almost 100 years old and still in use. That should tell you something.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2006-05-22 15:33, fccfp wrote: Am I the only one that has an occasional error in the stack show up when using the deck for long periods of time? Invariably, at some point when using the deck repeatedly, I will end up w/two odd cards together and two key cards together. I tend to think of it terms of the key card getting misplaced and it is fairly easy and quick to fix. It can be embarrassing when you show an odd card when the key card is supposed to be there. Has never been a real problem. I simply glance at the deck, and if the next card is a key card turn it over as if I meant for that to happen.

No, I'm pretty sure you're not the only one this happens to! Occasionally things will get out of order during a trick because of a bad shuffle or whatever, but as you said, you learn quickly to "pass over" the bad spot and avoid the problem. And in a quiet moment, it only takes a few seconds to straighten things out.

When I'm pitching Svengalis, I always keep two decks ready to go. That way, if one deck gets messed up, I can just say that the cards are getting sticky and I'll use a fresh deck. Also, using two decks lets me alternate key cards evry so often anyway, so the tricks look a bit more legitimate when different cards are picked. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
BTW, you can build a nifty two-way forcing deck using just the short cards from TWO Svengalis. Or a three-way using three decks. When the long cards have gotten a little scummy, you can scrap them and salvage the shorts to use for all-the-same packet tricks. (Actually I never throw away cards - use them to practice torn card tricks.) Just a little extra versatility from this useful little gimmick.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Seth you are correct. I always have several decks ready to go when pitching. I will even place a key card form one of the decks under a rock under the vendor accross the ways table. I only do this when I have a pretty big crowd cause it has to be reset when there is a break in the action. But I gotta tell you, if you can't sell a bunch of decks after that revelation, give it up. Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Svengali deck (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL