The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cassettes on cd or ipod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

markiquark
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of markiquark
Hi folks,

first of all let me apologize, this does not belong here. However, as I browsed the Café I could not really find out where to legitimately post this, so I hope it will be either tolerated here or moved to where it should be. My question>

I have several cassettes on magic and now want to either burn them on CD or ebetter yet, load them into my ipod. What type of software do I need, what sort of cables, to make this possible, if someone had the whole story that would be great and a PM also appreciated. I have a laptop, I will have a walkman soon and I have a cassette player, ghetto/blaster type of thing, whatelse do I need to buy and consider... Thank you, Mark
If you are going to Puerto Vallarta on your acations, let me know and write me a PM. I am interested in meeting magicians.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mark my friend
The ipod has made ALL other forms of music stotage obsolete. It comes with a itunes file for your computer, and a cable, you can create as many special files as you like, and you can call them up instantly. You should have said something to me when I was in Mexico I could have shown you mine. I plug it into my Fender pasport 150 and instantly select the apropriate music for before, during, or after the show. All other forms of music storage are obsolete for the forseeable future. I have a 4 gig Nano which will store about 75 or so CD's on it, and play for many hours without a charge.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

PS- I'm still working on those halves you asked me for
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7366 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Well, the ipod may have made things obsolete but they are not without their problems. They have not proven to be all that durable yet.

Personally, I put the music into a computer and then burn a cd. I make a mini disc and cassette copy. On shows where I am using a house system, I carry all three just in case they can't handle one of them. I have been in situations where I was down to the last option.

I work on a Mac and use a program called Sound Studio. There are free versions on the internet.

If you need more information let me know.

I know there was a very good step by step article in MacWorld telling how to convert your records to cd. It would be even easier to convert cassettes as you willnot need a preamp.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
If your cassette player has a line out jack connect that to the line in on your sound card. If it doesn't you are stuck with using the earphone jack connect it to your line in. Turn the the volume WAY DOWN. Volume level will be real touching to keep from overloading and distorting the signal. Cables can be had at Radio Shack. As far as software I have used windows sound recorder but it is very crude and not many options 73 Donnie
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Richard
I have always valued your opinion, but when you become more comfortable with the new technology your opinion will change, after all it is a quantum leap, and time marches on. My dad however swears that 8 tracks are the biggest bargain in music, because you can get a box of 8 track tapes of from the trash, for free, and since everything he likes was recorded before 1945 my dad is in hog heaven.
THANX
Al Angello
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7366 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am sure that the technology is fine but I have heard too many horrors stories of the IPOD failing at this point. Give it a few years and I am sure they will correct the durability problems.

In any event, I think he will still want to convert his music to CD to be able to redown load them into other devices (IPOD or otherwise). Safety in backup.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Richard
That is the first time I have ever heard that claim. Has anyone out there had an ipod fail on them, or is this just a rumor? The ipod has no moving parts, and the CD player has a spinning disc just like Thomas Edison's victrola did 100 years ago.
Al Angello
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2006-04-14 14:10, Al Angello wrote:
Has anyone out there had an ipod fail on them, or is this just a rumor?

I have two non-fucntioning iPods, and at least five friends & co-workers have currently-non-functioning iPods. All plan to have them fixed or replaced, because they LOVE them, but they have problems, none-the-less.
Check Apple online, or any major retailer, and you'll find re-furbished (alias, formerly non-functioning) iPods for sale.
Dan McLean Jr
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Oh come on, every manufacturer has refurbished products. That's not an indication of durability, it's a fact of manufacturing techniques where the "yield" (the industry term for it) will not be 100%. You can find refurbished models of any product if you look hard enough.

Durability, on the other hand, is about the life of the product. In the case of portable devices like cell phones and the iPod. they take a lot of abuse because people love them and haul them everywhere, often in harsh conditions.

Overall the iPod is extremely durable, but the model that I recommend for use as a performance tool is actually the most durable iPod of all - the Shuffle. Extra-long batter life, no moving parts, and excellent sound. Much more reliable than a cassette or CD player, and about the same price. ($99)
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
By the way, I invite you to read my article "Digital Music and Magic" in the Feb 2004 issue of the Linking Ring. It discusses how to use iPod and iTunes (or a portable CD player) to provide music and/or sound effects during your performance.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dan, and Gordon
Thank you for your two differing opinions. My grandmother told me long ago that when modern man's love affair with the automobile is over we will all turn to the tried and proven reliability of the horse. Don't drop your ipod in your coffee, and everything will be all right.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2006-04-14 18:08, Gordon wrote:
Oh come on, every manufacturer has refurbished products. That's not an indication of durability, it's a fact of manufacturing techniques where the "yield" (the industry term for it) will not be 100%. You can find refurbished models of any product if you look hard enough.

Durability, on the other hand, is about the life of the product. In the case of portable devices like cell phones and the iPod. they take a lot of abuse because people love them and haul them everywhere, often in harsh conditions.

Overall the iPod is extremely durable, but the model that I recommend for use as a performance tool is actually the most durable iPod of all - the Shuffle. Extra-long batter life, no moving parts, and excellent sound. Much more reliable than a cassette or CD player, and about the same price. ($99)

Gordon,
I simply answered a question and offer obserevations. Had I made a CLAIM based upon such anecdote, unable or unwilling to back up the claims with conclusive data, I imagine I would have been rowing a different boat.
Dan.
Dan McLean Jr
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dan
I wanted to hear the whole unvarnished truth. Thank you my friend.

Gordon
Did you say the shuffle for under a hundred. WOW
HAVE FUN
Al Angello
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Besides performing, I also work PT at an electronics retailer. There are a lot of issues with iPods. We see a lot of customers come in with problems. (Just so you know, I've also seen problems with Zen Micro's as well.)

I saw one iPod come back to the store just yesterday, because it had frozen up, and the customer couldn't re-boot it. I've seen some come back after the battery quitting within 3 months. Etc.

I tend to hear of more problems with them, than other MP3 players we sell.

If a person is firm on getting an iPod, invest in the Apple iCare Warranty, so you have extended support.

Also, markiquark, ThinkGeek.com sells a cassette deck you can install directly in your computer tower, if you really want to convert your cassettes into files in your computer. (I don't own one, I am just posting a link I know about.)

Of course, there are other ways to patch external cassette decks to your computer. My Dad has a cassette deck patched to his, so he can convert his cassettes all to CDs. The drawback is that the quality will only be as good as the original cassette can be.

Perhaps someone will answer your question and tell you how to patch a cassette deck to your computer.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Generally iPod failures can be related to specific model numbers, and specific generations of iPod.

In terms of sheer numbers of units out there, the failure rate is no lower or higher than any other electronic playback device.

You simply can't go wrong purchasing an iPod for personal or professional use as long as you remember that portable electronic devices are always capable of packing it in on a moments notice.

Having said the above, I've packed my iPod Photo all over North America on planes, to the beach, in my car, to work at lunch, for walks in the rain, in the forest while taking pictures, mowing the lawn, providing pre-show music for 1500 patrons when the performer forgot their pre-show music, and laying in bed reading........and I've never had a hic-up in it's performance.

As always, your milage may vary.
I also think it's telling that, even though folks may have suffered a complete failure in their iPod, they line back up to get another one.

As for patching a cassette deck into a computer, it's line out on the cassette deck to the line in on the audio card on your computer. The quality will never exceed that which is already on the cassette deck as that's the source material.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
So Apple sells a billion ipods a year, and hundreds of them fail HMMMMMMMMM. I still say that Thomas Edison invented the revolving disc, and the CD player is the last example of this 100 year old idea. The ipod has no moving parts. I just came back from vacation and my back pack was about ten pounds lighter this year, because I left ten pounds of CD's, and my disc man at home.
HAVE FUN
Al Angello

PS- I did not include the cassette player in my comments, because it was obsolete ten years ago. Both the CD player, and the ipod need no rewinding, and the audio quality of cassette tape deteriorates quickly. If I took a cassette player with me on vacation my back pack would have been 50 pounds heavier.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Cassettes on cd or ipod (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL