The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Very Nice Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
On 2006-06-19 17:15, Bill Palmer wrote:
I have to second that, Bill. Sherwoods are wonderful cups. And Sherwood is a really nice guy -- no BS.

(I meant that in the nicest way possible.)

Since this thread was initiated to speak about Brett Sherwood's Cups I will add the following. When the Smooth Silver (all [3] variations) were initially introduced for sale they had no serial numbers. I had a conversation with Brett during which I asked "why not"? His responce was - "send the Cups back at my expence, I will correct this". This is not the end of the level of dedication Brett has. When I accepted delivery of the "corrected sets" I informed Brett that the engraving was not of the same quality found on the Engraved sets. How did he respond? This man is unbeliveable. He instructed me to send the Cups back a second time for correction at his expence!!!

This man (Brett Sherwood) is the best of the best.
As Bill Palmer states . . . there is no "BS"

Kindest Regards,
Bill Sutter
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's the kind of experience I have had with Brett, myself. As a matter of fact, he and my wife went through an elaborate scheme to keep me in the dark when I asked for a couple of sets of cups for Christmas a while back. I was going to order the cups, myself and suddenly, he was out of them. Didn't know when they would be back in stock. I was pleasantly surprised.

Regarding the "small top Gazzo Cups," Gary might have issued them after taking a look at Gazzo's PF/DD chick cups, which you can see in the museum. Note the similarity in the tops of these cups and the tops of the first type of Gazzo cups. Then go down the page to the brass set of PF/DD chick cups. These have the same shape that Gazzo's original set of copper chick cups had.

Gary's cups are made for rough treatment. The PF/DD cups really weren't.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
Not only do I agree with everything Bill and Bill have said about Brett, but people have to realize that the cups are not even his main business.. In addition to bringing these great cups to magicians, he is performing too.. I personally have to also recognize his wife Lesley, who equals his level of service and has been totally great to deal with when Brett was on various cruise ships working......By the way, Brett was also emailing me from his various ships while orders were being worked on.... I highly recommend the Sherwood's (and their cups).
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-06-19 19:10, swtrocks wrote:
But if Gazzo hated small tops, why did he let Gary Animal associate his name with the first run of the Gazzo street cups?

I have friends on both sides of the story, so the details are better told by someone else, if at all.

The wide top is Gazzo's preferred design, and the design was modified but he didn't like the results. When he started selling them himself is probably when the design change back, along with the re-spins that were temporarily available to "correct" the shape.

Of all Gary Animal's cups, only one of them is a true "Gazzo." The others are better described as "Gazzo style with modifications" or by their proper names; Super Animals, Animals, Babes, Loves, etc...
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Gazzo now has a set of the Tall Animal cups which are the same ID as the Gazzo cups, but taller. They also have the larger bottom which he prefers.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Yes, I can confirm Dave's assertion that Gazzo was CLEAR about his preference for the larger surface on the bottom of his cups! Given his routine and the nature of his loads, this makes perfect sense.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2006-06-20 01:31, flimnar wrote:
Yes, I can confirm Dave's assertion that Gazzo was CLEAR about his preference for the larger surface on the bottom of his cups! Given his routine and the nature of his loads, this makes perfect sense.

Flimnar

Ah Hell, I thought that was the top of the cup Smile
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-06-26 00:17, Mad Jake wrote:
Ah Hell, I thought that was the top of the cup Smile

Only to magicians Smile
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Ouch, my mistake! Someone has egg on his face, and his name is me! Does this mean I have to go to Cups and Balls Summer School? Smile

Flimnar
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
In the Ammar book the side opposite to the mouth of the cup is referred to as the top.
In the C&B Museum the side opposite to the mouth of the cup is referred to as the bottom.

Why does Gazzo prefer the wider dimple?
Ragiv
View Profile
New user
Prince George, BC
95 Posts

Profile of Ragiv
Seeing Cups like those really makes me want to become a Cup spinner Smile
Jodie - SOCTV
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 16:43, RiffRaff wrote:
In the Ammar book the side opposite to the mouth of the cup is referred to as the top.
In the C&B Museum the side opposite to the mouth of the cup is referred to as the bottom.

The very first reference to the shape of a cup in print is in Hocus Pocus, Jr. -- "These cups must all be of one size and the bottom of each of them must be set a little within the cup...." I'm not saying that Mike is wrong in his definition. Both of us chose to define our terms right at the beginning of our presentations. He defines the bottom as the top, admitting that to the rest of the world (other than magicians), this would be the bottom, but his definition is for consistency in the text.

I'm taking my definition from the earliest one that I could find.

Quote:

Probably because you can do a three ball display on top of the cup with the larger dimple.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
On 2006-06-30 18:03, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-06-30 16:43, RiffRaff wrote:
Quote:

Probably because you can do a three ball display on top of the cup with the larger dimple.

That's odd, because in his standard routine he doesn't even do a three ball display on top of the cup. I think he said once he just liked the "look" of the jumbo load on top of the wider tops. Also, with the single ball it has a tendency to stay better if it has a bigger surface to roll around on without falling.

I had that problem with my Super Animals not having a big enough dimple to support his soccer balls. (which as Flimnar can attest, prompted a rather heated discussion at his last master class) My solution was to use my own Monkey Fist balls which resisted rolling. It's also why I don't need a rim on my table.(Yet another touchy subject with him during that same class)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I know he doesn't. It could also be because he used to use the PF/DD chick cups and he likes the way it looked.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Yes, a lively exchange indeed, Dave! Do you still have the scorch marks on that table? I use the soccer balls sometimes, but I was fortunate enough to get a set of Dave's monkey fist balls when he was making them as well and have really enjoyed using them.

Flimnar
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
With the FIFA insanity going on, I could not find any small footballs in Germany while I was there. The only ones I could find were erasers, and they didn't look right.

When I got back, I found some at Wal-Mart among the party favors.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Re : The Sherwood silver cups. Would you actally use these regularly (practice sessions + performances) or just keep them on the shelf to preserve their "collector quality"? Silver, I know, is pretty soft and it wouldn't take much to bang them up.

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I got the copper and the brass ones to practice with. If the occasion called for it, I would take out the engraved silver cups for a walkaround gig.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
The Sherwood Cups were created to work with. At the proper event I will use any of the sets I own. I will add that the tools (Cups) deserve to be utilized in a respectful manner.

Bill Sutter
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well put. Brett ecen states in the sheet that is furnished with the cups what moves may or may not be suitable with the cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Very Nice Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL