The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Very Nice Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
I guess that rules out any "cup-through-cup" penetration!

Fortasse
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I used to collect cups, at one point I had 9 sets, but have only used 2 for the last few years. Riser standard cups for outside gigs and at the bar. When hired for a formal close-up show, I'm normally in a tux, in that case it's my silver engraved Sherwoods. They always get gasps. Anyone know when his wand will be available, I believe it's been in the works for a few years now.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-07-10 21:30, fortasse wrote:
I guess that rules out any "cup-through-cup" penetration!

Fortasse

Actually, if you do it right, the penetration won't hurt the cups, but it is still scary!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
But if you do the move a lot, won't there at least be SOME damage to the shoulder bead from the force of the cups colliding? Just a thought.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
No damage will result provided that the move is executed properly, under proper execution very little force is transmitted between articles. The grip is all important. PMP (Practice Makes Perfect). Make sure to provide a secure landing zone.

Bill Sutter
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The one move I do very often with these cups is the centrifugal move. Where there is a ball under a cup and you very quickly stack it on another cup, showing that the cup is empty. I had problems doing this move with other cups but with the sherwoods, it flows beautifully.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Johnny Thompson does the 'cup through cup' penetration with his engraved Paul Fox cups, doesn't he?

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yes, but they are NOT PF cups... he had a set of Charlie Miller cups plated and a friend did the engravng for him as a gift.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those Charlie Miller cups will take a real beating.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Is there any risk that the silver plating will suffer - and is there a difference in the durability of (let's say) silver plated vs chromed cups? Thanks!
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Taliesin you are correct. On the video Comercial Classics of Magic #4 he uses Engraved Paul Fox cups with a gold wash in side the cups. They are very beautiful cups.
When he does the teach in he uses the fox cups too. Though on the cover of the video/DVD box he is shown with Miller engraved cups with a gold wash.
Great routine too.
Does anyone know about his PF style cups that are engraved? I knoiw I would like to know more about them.

I have used both silver plated and chromed cups and have not had a durability problem with either.
Mobius
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Pete is absolutely correct : you can see Johnny Thompson's silver-plated Charlie Miller cups on the Stevens Emporium Cups & Balls DVD (Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In Series). One of the features on this DVD is a cups and balls demonstration by Charlie Miller using Johnny Thompson's cups. Thompson himself is the host for this demonstration and he describes the cups in some detail. On this occasion at least, Thompson's cups were the Charlie Miller cups, not PF cups. No question about it. By the way this is great DVD to add to your collection if you don't have it already.

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 01:40, swtrocks wrote:
But if you do the move a lot, won't there at least be SOME damage to the shoulder bead from the force of the cups colliding? Just a thought.

You can do it with minimal collision of the cups. It takes a lot of practice, but it can be done. In fact, you can do it with NO collision of the cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2006-07-11 23:31, fortasse wrote:
Pete is absolutely correct : you can see Johnny Thompson's silver-plated Charlie Miller cups on the Stevens Emporium Cups & Balls DVD (Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In Series). One of the features on this DVD is a cups and balls demonstration by Charlie Miller using Johnny Thompson's cups. Thompson himself is the host for this demonstration and he describes the cups in some detail. On this occasion at least, Thompson's cups were the Charlie Miller cups, not PF cups. No question about it. By the way this is great DVD to add to your collection if you don't have it already.

Fortasse

Happily, everyone's right! There are two seperate sets of cups. He uses the silver Charlie Miller cups in the GMVL Teach-In tape but uses Paul Fox-style engraved silver cups in the Commercial Classics DVD. Smile

Still, it's interesting that those engraved silver PF cups haven't been commented on previously. As Mobius said, they look fantastic with the gold wash on the inside.

Richard
garyanimal
View Profile
Regular user
UK
136 Posts

Profile of garyanimal
"But if Gazzo hated small tops, why did he let Gary Animal associate his name with the first run of the Gazzo street cups?"
Gazzo allowed me to use his name because I'm a mate and he assumed I'd make them with big tops. I didn't and he called me an idiot and beat the crap out of me. I then made some more with big tops and he showered me with slobber like a rabid mutt. Oh to be loved by Gazzo. After I got clean I made some more with small tops because I like them. Gazzo kicked the **** out of me again.
News
NZ . In uk at present, going to nz again in sept. Gotta buy a house and get settled. Nz cups a bit down the road yet.
I do have Some gazzos and animals and babes in storage and will ebay them when I get my stuff back.

Will be doing my own street performing DVD later and that should show everyone how not to do the cups.
What else

Oh I might come work usa and canada one summer before I get to old- sick of uk. Will need love and support people. (that's accom and a few birds)
Gary
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I can't help you with the birds (we do have some in bird cages, but probably not what you're looking for) but if you ever make it to Las Vegas, we have a place for you. We sterilized it pretty thoroughly after Gazzo left, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are coming to Houston, let me know.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Birds, not the feathered with wings type... he's referring to "babes" (not the cup kind either) Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
We have a lot of birds that are not feathered. They look silly as heck.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Plenty of birds with feathers in Vegas.

Curt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Very Nice Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL