We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What magic lacks (Why MTV isn't Magic television) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I don't necessarily wish magic to become as main stream as music or movies but I just thought I'd start a discussion about the differences and why magic doesn't effect society like they do.

It is kind of bizarre though. I mean magic is used in all those other types of entertainment. At least the "idea" of magic is. To some degree special effect (such as in movies) are a type of magic in ways that they create the illusion of something happening that really isn't or couldn't happen. Music groups use magic to appear at the beginning of their concerts and vanish at the end. So the foundation of magic is very popular and I guess it is "main stream" in some ways. Just not as much when one single person (The magician) is the focus of the illusion. That's an interesting thought too.

I gotta stop thinking about things like this that have no real answer. Life is confusing enough as it is.. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I think you may have put your finger on part of the answer to your question.

Special effects are used in context with the story. When Darth Vader killed Obi Wan with the light saber, we didn't say, "Wow, what a great magic effect -- the guy just vanished under his cape!"

When a music group uses a "trick" to appear and vanish, they go right into their act. The magic is just the introduction: it's part of the overall experience, not the point of the whole exercise.

But with magic, how often do we see, "Here, watch this..." as the whole point of the effect? The general public isn't interested in that type of stuff in and of itself. Sure some people are, just like some people love to talk about computers, hardware, software, the latest OS, memory, and all that stuff, while the vast majority of us just want to sit down and use the machine to do something useful. Do computer ads and commercials push the technical stuff or the lifestyle to be derived by buying the machine?

Cars are the same way. Some people love to talk about the engines, transmissions, power trains, this, that, and everything else, while the vast majority of us just get in the thing to go to work. Do car commercials push the details or the lifestyle?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What is hope or delight in the marketplace?

What is the ecology of magic in a culure of despair where economics attempts to equate salvation with consumption?

One could argue that there is already much strong magic at work in our society.

Take that feeling. Double it. Anchor it to the off button of your TV remote.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
My guess is that you need above average intelligence to appreciate the art and that excludes most of the population. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That also excludes most magicians.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
Only if most magicians do not appreciate the art Bill. Much truth is spoken in jest. The art in magic is purely intellectual in nature, a bit like painting which has also been around for ever. People who like art seem to like all art it seems to me. Maybe they enjoy seeing things that gives them something to think about. Most people it seems to me have little interest in the arts and instead prefer lighter entertainment, things that require no mental effort on their part. I don’t know what are the most popular shows on TV, action-packed adventures maybe but maybe not things that have a deep plot.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What magic lacks (Why MTV isn't Magic television) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL