The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Burned and Restored Bill/Vanishing Watch Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
Hi All,

I want to know what you guys think of this closer to my show:

Earlier I have borrowed a bill and burned it. At the end of the show, I restore it after performing the arm chopper on the lender of the bill. I have also told them to take their watch off during the arm chopper and place it in a paper bag so as not to "destroy their watch" during the chopper routine.

At the climax of the show, I want to reveal the restored bill and their watch in an impossible location. I was thinking of this:

1) Using a gimmicked set of BBQ tongs, retrieving the restored bill from an (ungimmicked) sealed can. I would then reveal their watch has disappeared from the paper bag and reveal it hidden in a different can (using the Can O' Corn from Collector's Workshop) Do you guys think having two different items appear in two different cans is an anti-climax or should there be two different and impossible locations?

or

2) Reveal the restored bill from the spectator's fly (using the gimmicked BBQ tongs) and then reveal their watch in the sealed can? Two cans might be overkill, but retrieving from a fly (while humourours) doesn't seem as "impossible" as a sealed can.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I like the theme...I would use two different locations. I just got a can o corn. What works well for you. What doesn't? Where did you get the gimmicked BBQ tongs?
Frank
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
Quote:
On 2006-04-16 11:54, squando wrote:
I like the theme...I would use two different locations. I just got a can o corn. What works well for you. What doesn't? Where did you get the gimmicked BBQ tongs?

Hi,

I am from Australia and the gimmicked tongs (called Tong and Cheek) were made by an Australian magician called Brendan Montanna. They stopped making them and I couldn't find them anywhere in Australia, but did find some at William's Magic in the US, check this link:

http://www.williamsmagic.com/index.php?m......id=14888

You can also check out a video of the tongs here:

http://www.heyprestomagic.com.au/

Do a search for Tong and Cheek. The item is discontinued here, but the demo video is still on the site.

How is the Can o Corn? I have heard some people have an issue of weight on the gimmick (e.g. a heavy watch!) and it needs to be slammed on a table to ensure the gimmick sits flush - any truth in this? Other thoughts on the Can o Corn?

I do a comedy magic show, so I think I will go for the bill in fly and then watch in corn works well.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I got my Can It! I haven't played with it much but it is heavy, but if you use liquid in a can I think it will be hidden. You need a place to load gimmick. the place needs to be out of sight. A large grocery bag is one suggestion. I've got to play/practice with gimmick and then try it out in some performance venues --first on my wife and kids then some neighbors then in a kids show...eventually if I like it I will use in a high paying gig. I have one customer who uses me two or three times a year with a new set of customers. I have done destroy a bill and find it in an impossible location. Because I "repeat" this for the same client, I have frequently changes the method ...but the client thinks they have it figured out, but the next time I perform I give them another alley to get lost in. I think I will like the Can It!

Are the tongs you have similiar to the ones in the video? How eay is it to load the Tongs?
Frank
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
Quote:
On 2006-04-22 00:58, squando wrote:
I got my Can It! I haven't played with it much but it is heavy, but if you use liquid in a can I think it will be hidden. You need a place to load gimmick. the place needs to be out of sight. A large grocery bag is one suggestion. I've got to play/practice with gimmick and then try it out in some performance venues --first on my wife and kids then some neighbors then in a kids show...eventually if I like it I will use in a high paying gig. I have one customer who uses me two or three times a year with a new set of customers. I have done destroy a bill and find it in an impossible location. Because I "repeat" this for the same client, I have frequently changes the method ...but the client thinks they have it figured out, but the next time I perform I give them another alley to get lost in. I think I will like the Can It!

Are the tongs you have similiar to the ones in the video? How eay is it to load the Tongs?

Hi,

Yes, the tongs are exactly the ones from the video. The load simplicty depends on what you are loading. I assume you want to load mid show, so I'll go with that.

I have found if you load mid show you need to remove the part of the gimmick that covers the load (which means you can only flash one side of the inside of the tongs to the audience) otherwise it becomes too fiddly. (If loading before a show, you can leave the coverage on).

You may also want to have it set up in your case so that it will stay upright for the load so you don't have to fiddle around holding it with two hands, which could draw suspicion (depending on size of your case/proximity to audience etc)

Anything thin like a bill or piece of paper is pretty quick - no more than 5-6 seconds once practiced. Something thicker like a folded playing card might take a bit longer, as you have to push a little harder to wedge it into the gimmick.

Be aware that the load can only be as wide as the size of the "teeth" of the tongs, otherwise they will flash either side.

How quick/smooth is the load with Can-It? Is there a lot of fiddling around and when you say "out of site", would coverage behind a briefcase with its top open be sufficient?
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
The brief case with lid open is enough (depending on angles). With liquid you need to secure the gimmick...this takes a little deftness and a little muscle. The directions recommend a large paper grocery bag. Either will work. I ordered the tongs and will soon experiment. Thanks for the tips. The other recommendation for Can It! is three cans and equivoque ---this gives one a bit of time (removing three cans) while loading one.

I am just beginning to experiment. I had a chance to perform today for kids and wanted to try it out there...but I still wasn't ready for it.
Frank
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
Quote:
On 2006-04-29 00:44, squando wrote:
The brief case with lid open is enough (depending on angles). With liquid you need to secure the gimmick...this takes a little deftness and a little muscle. The directions recommend a large paper grocery bag. Either will work. I ordered the tongs and will soon experiment. Thanks for the tips. The other recommendation for Can It! is three cans and equivoque ---this gives one a bit of time (removing three cans) while loading one.

I am just beginning to experiment. I had a chance to perform today for kids and wanted to try it out there...but I still wasn't ready for it.

Have you got your tongs yet...What do you think of them?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Burned and Restored Bill/Vanishing Watch Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL