The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Check this out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Pete, put your lips together and say Bamberg.
POOF!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Right you are kregg. Actually anytime I see an Asian who's REALLY good, I think the same.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22659 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-04-16 14:15, Pete Biro wrote:
Hug... what I meant was by "non-western" clothing was to wear something like Shimada or Chung Ling Soo... a colorful oriental costume. With custom made wardrobe you and build steal locations, etc. etc. that would be far better than the olde tail suit.

Remember Tenkai's wife Okinu? The final load (a 20 or 30-foot square silk) was in plain sight the whole act, folded up and on her back, like a parachute. It was never noticed as it looked like part of the costume.

I see no need for this gentleman to wear an outdated costume from his country. I have seen Shimada and Kukuchi in their costumes and it leaves a lot to be desired, because you know you could hide an elephant in those large outfits.

Just because a person is from a certain country, does not mean he must wear traditional clothing from his nationality.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
852 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I agree with Randy Stewart. What an amazing act. Obviously much thought and practice has gone into this act.

Lou
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7385 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I think I need to clarify something. It is purely an opinion. This act does show a lot of talent, work and promise. I just compared it to some of the top manipulators I have seen over the years. True, it is hard to judge on a video (especially on the internet). I think this act is very close to making the kind of quantum leap that everyone will always remember him.

When you look at the really great and memorable acts, they had a way of selling what they did. It is hard to describe but I just did not feel this act was there yet. I am not saying in any way it is a bad act. I hope that makes a little more sense.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Wonderful Card Manipulation! Everyone should be that good! Including many on this thread. Costuming is fine!
MrEz
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MrEz
Wow, to be this talented. This was beautiful to watch for both the entertainment value, and the technical value. Beautiful..
Not imaginings, Not optical illusions, they're, MysterEz.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
I watched it and though I do not do card minipulations I say him loading a few times. Over all the routine was awsome and lots and lots of time and prctice was put into it. The giant card work was just awsome. I personaly don't mind his choice of attire. And Randy I really didn't see a lot of negative reviews on this mans performance. There were some but not that many. It seems that you, IMO,feel that if you say the act is great then the rest of us should just go along with it. I,in no way, am suggesting that you are the finale say on what is good and what is not. I am just saying that because this guy received a couple of non-glowing reviews you sounded kind of harsh in the way you commented, I have no idea what you are talking about there. He completely sold it. No doubt about it. "Geez! what does it take to make you people happy?" I think that we as magicians are so critical of ourselves and other magicians that it gets in the way of our own enjoyment of our wonderful art form. And that is why I made a very small negative review of his act. The audience sounded like they were very happy and was enjoying it a lot. I think he did an awesome job. I hope I did not just ramble on here and I appologize if I have said anything that might upset anyone here. Thanks for posting it Neil.

Steven
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-04-18 03:12, StevenMT wrote:
It seems that you, IMO,feel that if you say the act is great then the rest of us should just go along with it. I,in no way, am suggesting that you are the finale say on what is good and what is not.

Well that's just it Steven, I AM the final say. Hehehehe....No, I'm just teasin' ya. What I think or say (whether I think I'm the final say or not) REALLY DOESN'T MATTER. There's to this moment, 1,324,562 posts on this message board. Obviously my opinion is just "1" out of that number of posts. He doesn't need it, but I'm passionate about such performances (I don't do cards like he does) and rallied to his support. Can you imagine stepping on stage knowing the act and knowing what you are attemtping to pull off here? Wow! A quarter of his act would be enough to mentally exhaust most of us regarding card manipulation - especially before a live audience.

You are correct in that I unrealistically expected everyone to join me as I led the audience to a standing ovation. I watch one recorded performance of card manipulation after another and found this one a breath of fresh air. This compared to much of whats currently out there. The act was very tight and fun to watch. Well at least for me. I know better, no matter how good I may think something is, than to expect others to agree with me. That's all.

Quote:
I am just saying that because this guy received a couple of non-glowing reviews you sounded kind of harsh in the way you commented, I have no idea what you are talking about there. He completely sold it. No doubt about it. "Geez! what does it take to make you people happy?"

Yes, I'm not one of the nicest guys in magic these days. Shame.

Quote:
I hope I did not just ramble on here and I appologize if I have said anything that might upset anyone here.

No offense taken Steven as you made some valid points. They annoyed me but were valid. Thanks for the input. We'll put ya down for opinion #1,324,580
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Well ok then. Wow I can't beleive I finaly won one. hehehehe. Just kidding. I agree with you Randy in the way that I would be totaly exhausted after doing half of what that guy did. I do not do cards and wish I could do them like him. I know with enough work I could be at his level and maybe even higher. I really like to see a good manipulator at work,especialy at cards. The way he produced those extra giant size cards was great. Like I said in my other post,the crowd seemed to like his work a lot,and that is what it should be about,the lay audience not a bunch of us old time guys...well maybe not old time..more liked..Seasoned..yeah that's it..hahaha. Anyway it was a nice video to watch.

Thanks
Steven
ruijorge
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of ruijorge
THIS GUY IS A FREAK!! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Check this out (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL