The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Mind over magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brian giberson
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of brian giberson
Has anyone seen issue #6 yet? How does the new magazine oracle compare, is oracle worth a subscription? Thanks! -Brian
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
I have both mind and oracle, I like both, but perfer oracle better quality and more vaule for the money.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Mind over magic is a quarterly release so I guess you wont be getting Vol 6 yet as I believe 5 came out at the start of the year.

I finished my subscription with mind over magic and have to say, the articles and effects are interesting. If only they would improve on the quality of the mag Smile
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Mind over magic is what I would call a filler magazine!

Some nice articles but to much wasted space!!

It's a "quality" issue and it's lacking in that department!!

:cheers:
Cliff
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I subscribe to both, and I have to say that both have a place in my shelves. Both have good information, and effects.
They are written by different folks, and so they have different styles.
Just so you are clear, there are too few of us doing this style of magic for anyone to "get rich" by publishing. Those who do put out regular items or publications usually do it more for the love of the art, and hope they break even, or make a couple dollars. I know that MoM is a one person (okay, two as I hear TC's better half helps in this) publication and is worked on between his shows. TC was good enough to pick up the torch from the void and start getting something out there. If any of you above have looked at the reprints of Invocation, I shudder to think what you might have said about the original publication wtih hand done images, and typewriter done with what looks like Mimeograph.
Oracle is also great and is a welcome addition to my library, a different format and style. It is worth the subscription wtihout a doubt.

Once you slip into this water, you realize how little there is to find easily. If it is not your style of publication, then pass. After all it is like me wading through all those pictures of fluff to get to the articles in a Playboy eh!
If I rejected every book or publication based on typos, open space, too much filler, or other "cosmetic reasons" I would be left with a lot less material in my files!

Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5473 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Wow! Well said, Kay! I completely agree with you on all points (except the part about skipping through picture to get to the articles Smile).

Everyone who appreciates this style of magic(k) should be grateful to Mr. & Mrs. Lange for the amount of time, effort and expense they went to in order to get the ball rolling, and get this publication off the ground. Unfortunately it appears that this may possibly be the last year for MoM which, in my opinion, would be a shame. With only six issues under their belt (you should have received issue #6 by now) they have come a long way from issue #1, continually improving upon the quality, content and overall layout. I plan to keep my subscription current for as long as they continue to publish, and I hope that they continue to publish for quite some time.

Oh yeah... and to answer the original question, Oracle is well worth the money. In addition to the hard copy you receive each month, filled with quality articles and effects, there is an additional 20 - 30+ pages of web content available to subscribers. Great idea, great material, and perhaps one of the best values I've come across recently.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Agreed! MoM has great material, certainly the value of ideas in a single issue warrants the years subscription. As a Bizarrist, I look for things to make me think and stir my creative process, not fill a tonage quota for new effects. I have plenty of effects. I subscribe to MoM, BS&M, Other Stuff and O and I enjoy them all immensely for what they are.

I think we should support all worthy efforts to document our art of the Bizarre, stir our genius and provide community - that includes both monetary support and intellectual support. If you want more content - Well, Contribute! If we fail to support it we will have no worthy efforts to even criticize. Quite frankly, I'd rather "chip in" so we can all benefit.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
eddie104
View Profile
New user
Florida
44 Posts

Profile of eddie104
Where can you subscribe for mind over magic?
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Mind over magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL