We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » In the Shadow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
I read a thing with Kirk Douglas and his son Michael. All you can do in life is try. That's the most important thing in life. I tried. Said Kirk. Try moving, said Michael, your blocking my light! Smile

How true that is I don't know but I was wondering if any you have had that problem.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I know Blackstone, Jr. had that problem. It took years for people to accept him as being as good as his father. Toward the end of his life, Harry, Jr. did the lightbulb much better than Sr. And he was fun to watch, too.

I grew up in my father's shadow. He was a musician, ran a music studio, and I was always, "Bill Palmer's kid." One reason I took up the banjo was that it was one of the only instruments Dad couldn't play.

One day, he got back from a big music convention, and he told me -- "You are your own man, now."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I know how you have felt all your life. I was in the Alfred hospitality suite, when a couple of the guys from H & H Music came by. They looked into the room, pointed at me and said -- 'Look! That's Bill Palmer's father.' "

So, that day, I became my own man. And I was in my own light. And, I must admit, I enjoy being Bill Palmer's son.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20969 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My father was many things. Great at all of them. Fortunatly for me not a performer.

Being good at what I do was expected. What that was to be was up to me. I did not have to overcome a shadow in the "chosen profession". I had standards I had to live up to no matter what that profession became.

To be completly cynical about it if I wanted to be a bank robber, it probably wouldn't have mattered, just be the best one. (That theory was never tested by the way, and it probably would have been frowned upon, but you get the point).
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
My Pop, who was not actually my Pop, is a very successful salesman and would give me the ditch digger speech from time to time. "No matter what you decide to do in life strive to be the best you can, even if it is digging ditches, be the best ditch digger." Just having that work ethic has put me steps ahead of the average Joe, even in fields that I am not very skilled at. The want to overcomes the can do. Nothing facilitates success like determination and perseverance. Positive outcomes occur for those who are properly prepared and apply a proper positive mental attitude. At the time I wasn't too hip on reading Norman Vincent Peale and Zig Ziglar etc. but as the years have gone by the principles have proven to be valid. I never felt a shadow, I felt him turning on the light.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks guys. Bill I saw that lightbulb effect, it was great! As you know I am only a card guy and when I see such things as the lightbulb they are real magic to me - that was cool. I still do not know how he did and I do not want to.
The only shadow I have been in is my uncle Johnny who was a brilliant card guy and some of the old guys remind me of the fact after I have showed then something.
I noticed on Ed Marlows DVD someone reminded Shullian Jr that the old man was the best and I thought it was a bit cruel. It seems in show business no one is ever regarded as better than the old man.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've always admired people who have a dream and go for it.

Years ago a pressman I worked with bought some property and attempted farming and living off the land.
He left the printing industry and lived his dream for a few years.
His farming didn't work as anticipated and he returned to printing until retirement.
He tried.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
According to Ann Gwynne Blackstone Jr. was a lot better stage performer than his dad was. His show was built better because it had today’s materials and it looked better because of the modern stage lighting. And Blackstone Jr GREW UP partly on the show so he knew his dads stage show front wards and backwards.

Blackstone Jr also had a college education and theater training in college. Buddy Farnan was in the same theater class and went to the same college.

Another difference between the two the older Blackstone was a better more skilled magician. Blackstone Sr could deal seconds and do close up magic and would do close up card work when needed to impress magicians and the press.

Tommy said "I noticed on Ed Marlows DVD someone reminded Shullian Jr that the old man was the best and I thought it was a bit cruel. It seems in show business no one is ever regarded as better than the old man."

If we are talking about a video with Ed and Jack Pyle at a party and the party was at the Jack Kodell home - the man that said that is an older retired magician named Jack Kodell. Who was a great magician and a top stage performer. Jack Kodell was the first act to use parakeets in his act and did the Indian rope trick with a parakeet. He headlined all over the world in the finest stages of the world and was a huge hit in England. His wife Mary was a huge star in England and Julie Andrews was her understudy when she was breaking into show business as a kid.

The last time I saw the Kodells was at my wedding. I spoke to Jack on the phone when my dad passed away and I sent him a book about my Dad when David Charvet published it.

We published the book and sold it at the Stan Kramien Jamboree several years ago. I lectured there and did part of the stage show. That was a strange experience because they the audience wanted me to do my Dads stuff. I don't do my dads stuff but I am very much like him when I perform my own stuff. I have half of his DNA. None of them considered me better than my Dad but I wasn't there to be better than my Dad I was there to sell a book about him.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20969 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tommy I can tell you for a FACT that Charlie Schulien never gave it a second thought. I know this because it was he who taught me. Bobby (his son) didn't care what anyone thought either. It may very well have been rude I don't know, but they have such thick skin that it never bothered them. (Bobby REALLY got a bad rap as 3rd generation.)

The thing Charlie always siad to me about things like this was (funny I seem to be the only one who actually remembers his name) you have to be the best YOU can be. Anything else is simply unrealistic.

Let me make another point which I think applies, even if off topic a bit.

I share O DNA with Charlie and Bobby. BUT you can still see them in me when I perform. I do MANY Schulien effects. I share a style, (few slights but high impact)with them and it is obvious. I don't think this is bad. I think though I had an advantage over Bobby, and for that matter Glenn as nobody was expecting me to be anything. NO PREASURE to be anything. It made learning a bit different I think. Glenn can speak for himself, but I know Bobby feels this way.

As for Blackstones lightbulb, a thing of amazing beauty (and I hate floating effects). My friend Darren Romeo does it here in town every night. I have seen Blackstone Jr. do it. Darren pays homage and really does it well. Walking on and off stage in the middle of the effect, passing out the bulb to be examined in the middle of the effect. I really enjoy this effect. Blackstones widow actually tells a story at the beginning. A great piece of magic. (His singing really helps too).

But the point was he had so much less preasure to learn it not being a Blackstone!

Wow lots of rambling, and no real point. I guess I feel less preasure to amount to anything exists without the "benifit" of a for lack of a better word "famous" father.

BUT then again, the other benifits probably FAR outweigh the small amount of drawbacks. Again this is a guess
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Harry Blackstone, Jr. did not want to become an illusionist, partly because he knew that he had some really big shoes to fill. I'm not sure who it was that convinced him it was his destiny. But he was an extremely successful radio announcer and a promising actor when he decided to take up the family trade.

One of the real tragedies of Harry's life was his son, "Harry B." Harry B. wanted to be a musician. He was well on his way to a good musical career when he changed his mind. One evening, after a show, Harry told me that he was overjoyed that Harry B. had come up to him and said that he had decided to become a magician. He, too, felt the tug of the stage. So Harry had decided to help him along.

Tragically, Harry B. died in a senseless accident, when he was crushed under a truck he was fixing up to troupe the show in. If he'd put the truck up on blocks instead of leaving it on the jacks, he might be with us today. He would have been a great performer. He had charm, personality and looks.

And he was a nice kid.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Stan Kramien Jamboree is in Portland OR. My Dad grew up but was not born in Eugene OR. And my Mom Ann was from Hillsboro OR. My Dad was president of the SAM there after the war. If there was any place that my parents could call the home state Oregon is IT.

In my hands right at this moment is a very old copy of Bobo's coin book. Given to him by the members of the SAM dated 1954. Autographed by all the members who I met many of them including Stan Greer at Stan Kramien Jamboree.

This was given to him 2 years before I was born and just before the move to New York and his touring life started performing on some of the finest night club stages of the USA. Including the Palace theater in New York the top vaudeville stage of it's time. And the Ed Sullivan Show when it was called toast of the town. My dad did two spots on the first anniversary show. The first spot was the rope tie the second spot was to be a magic baker and produce a cake from the dove pan.

They to a close up of the cake and then cut to a larger cake made of paper and the rocketts of radio music hall fame leaped out of this cake to close the anniversary show of the first year season.

The dove pan was purchased from Tannen magic shop. The person that sold my dad the pan was a kid named Frank Garcia. Later to be a top magician and gambling expert and student of John Scarne.

All this is written up in the book The life and Magic of Billy Bishop "Bish the Magish".

An interesting side story David Charvet and I were having dinner one evening at a restaurant in Portland while the convention was being set up. We were talking magic and while we got up an older person at another table was getting up to leave to. He asked us if we were magicians and ever heard of a guy that he knew back in high school. This guy was really good and he went to my high school he said and I saw him on TV once or twice over the back in the 50's and 60's.

We asked him what was his name. He thought for a moment and said - Bish The Magish but did not say Billy Bishop.

And at no time during that dinner did David and I talk about the Bish the Magish If we talked about my Dad David called him Billy. Because he is a close member of our family. As we were leaving I asked David if he set me up. And he said no Bish the Magish - that is YOU NOW. Considering that guy remembered it all these years you should start using it.

That was when I started to call myself "Bish the Magish"

And this will be passed onto my own son's. And there will be magicians that will tell them that they are not as good as their dad - you see his shell game and his punch deck idea's?

And they WILL say "You should have saw our granddaddy". As the circle of life continues!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16346 Posts

Profile of tommy
Glen I am not sure what DVD but either "The Cardician" or "The Ledgend" anyway they are in Schulien's restaurant in Chicago. It starts with a little history of the place and Jr does a cool card trick - Card through the table cloth - then they go into the back room and Ed does the punch etc. What a great place that must have been for card guys.
I have also got the tape I think you are speaking about and I will dig it out when I get home. I do recall them talking about this subject.

This thing also makes me think about older magicians and younger ones and sort of recall Vernon talking about it. Also new kids on the block always gets an hard time maybe.

Tommy
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Oh yeah It was the "The Cardician" and it was said by a customer that went to Schulien's and was an older customer that used to go to the old location and the new one after the move.

The video I am talking about is from a video tape that was made of Jack Pyle and Ed Marlo doing close up magic at a party at Jack Kodell's home. I got the video of Jack Pyle and Ed Marlo from John Ivan Palmer who is a successful hypnotist and Jack Pyle's son.

I used the video of Jack with written permission from his son who is a old friend. Some of this footage has been released on the ED Marlo tapes and DVD's that are on the market today. Having the original raw footage I do not have the products that have been put on the market using the raw footage.

Having seen the raw footage and magician party like this for most of my life it brought back many memories. But they talk about the father son relationship in magic. And I mentioned this in another thread what Ed Marlo talked about. And I found what they say interesting.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2006-04-16 10:23, Bill Palmer wrote:
Harry Blackstone, Jr. did not want to become an illusionist, partly because he knew that he had some really big shoes to fill.

In a way this is true. But as I mentioned in other threads that Buddy Farnan and Blackstone Jr were college friends. When Blackstone Jr came for the first time to play the Paramount Arts Center In Aurora IL. My dad took the whole magic shop crew to the show. Buddy Farnan was general manager of Old Chicago and of course went along. I of course sat between Buddy Farnan and my Dad while watching the show.

And then later on sat between Buddy Farnan and my Dad when we went out to eat after the show with Blackstone, Gay (His wife and friends). This show was a classic old school magic show with brassy music and color and to this day the finest show of magic that I have ever seen.

I went to see his show many many times. More than I went to see any other magician.

I have talked with him one on one and I asked him what was it like growing up with a famous father as a magician. He smiled at me and said - you know. That is that you know what show business is like and you know what magicians are like.

Blackstone Jr did not want to become a professional magician with a big show. He told me he did it because he felt that he could make the MOST MONEY doing it. He got back into magic as he told me - he was helping stars in Hollywood put magic into there Las Vegas acts. At one time he was helping Tommy Smothers of Smothers Brothers and Tommy Smothers was excited how the magic was going over and suggested to Blackstone that he should get into doing a magic act. According to what Blackstone Jr told me it was Tommy Smothers co signed a loan to get him started with his first Illusion show.

According to my Dad this show started in an older hotel in older Las Vegas. And after a few seasons he was on his way.

It is very hard for people to know what it is like growing up in magic and you have a famous father. They (Magicians the press employees of your dad) fawn over your father with attention and look at you like your something that should be cleaned out of a rabbit cage. I come from a family of six kids and I am the only one that took it on at the professional level. One might ask why my brothers and sisters did not take it up - they might be surprised at the honesty.

Ann Gwynne (Jack Gwynne's wife) used to call the Blackstone Jr Show - Blackstone's Vindication Show!

Frank Sinatra used to say the best vindication or revenge in life is MASSIVE SUCCESS!

Ed Marlo also talks about Paul Rosini’s son on this raw footage tape I have and said that his son knew Paul’s act and should do it. The son doing the dads act and the torch is passed - as Marlo said that is how it is done.

I think that Blackstone took his torch and his name that were passed on to him and the torch burned brighter and a larger audience than his dad had were able to experience magic at it’s best.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » In the Shadow (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL