We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What makes for the "Perfect Trick", and give a example of a "Perfect Trick" besides the presentation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
StarGazer
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
48 Posts

Profile of StarGazer
I would only say Stargazer is my perfect trick, if not for others.
1. It is easy to carry on you anywhere anytime under any condition (As Al Angelo says you can even do it naked in the showers)
2. It is easy to do and have a build up effect
3. It is highly visual for the shape transformation
4. You can give it out in the end as a magical souvenir (Jeff McBride does it a lot)
5. It is affordable!
If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-04-20 23:16, Professor Piper wrote:
I'm going to write this KNOWING I'm going to be reemed from one end of the spectrum to the other...

BUT..

I have had TREMENDOUS success with it in walk-arounds, restuarants, and at the shop (Magic, of course)...

The cheap, plastic, available everywhere CRAZY CUBE!!

(For those above crappy magic, it's a prediction/mentalist trick using a Die and two black 'film canisters'...

I've done it hundreds of times and it ALWAYS kills.

I guess some wise man was right: Simple is best.

Prof. Piper
(Terry)

Dude! Why would you get reamed for that? The is no such thing as a bad effect. If you put a good performance into that stuff, there is no reason in the world an audience wouldn't enjoy it thouroghly. The only problem most people have with those is the props look a little cheap, but even that's not a big issue. If the props look good enough to go with your persona, then who cares. I carry around cut pieces of sash cord that look like they once took part in the drying of clothes. At least those things look manufactured.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-04-15 22:53, Eddini_81976 wrote:
Okay when purchasing a trick these are my OWN personal rules of thumb I go by for my PERSONAL Performing Style.

I have 6 criterias I go for when buying a trick.

1. You can perform it shirtless
2. You START, and END clean.
3. It is High Impact. One might argue that, that's the Magician's job. Not always so. Look at Hot Rod. Nice trick, but Scotch & Soda is MUCH more powerful....get what I mean?
4. It's not too hard to perform, something of intermediate difficulty.
5. It can be examine AT LEAST at the end.
6. It is LEAST 60% Angle-Proof.

No idea why one would want to perform a trick shirtless, but hey that's your thing.

On item two, can it suffice that you seem clean?

Criteria is the plural of criterion.
Agreed about the effect being high impact.
Also agreed about the fuss factor. Can't focus on the audience if worried about the methods.
Why stop the show after some good magic to let folks examine the leftovers?
Agreed about angles. It's a shame some closeup stuff only looks good from a narrow view, almost like stage but then the props are too small.

I just picked The Magic Mirror that offers some nice items which appear to meet your criteria. Have a look at your local magic shop.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
HaHaHa, I never perform shirtless. I only mean that you don't need sleeves is all. Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Thanks Jack for your post!

Seems like you and I see things the same way...

It mattes very little to me what the props 'look' like....

It's how they are PRESENTED that counts!!

I'm curious...What effect/trick are you performing with the sash cord?

Thanks again!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Alan Wong is right "stargazer" is the trick that I do the most. I like to do CMH with two round yellow rubber bands, then change one rubber band into a yellow star. In a years time I give away from 1,000 to 2,000 star shaped rubber bands, and of course a business card goes with every rubber band. FYI http://mywebpages.comcast.net/juggleral/movie be sure to click the right side of the screen, and see why the kids call me "the rubber band man".
Alan Wong thanks for the trick
Al Angello

PS- I would love to see what Jeff McBride does with stargazer.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 01:35, Professor Piper wrote:
Thanks Jack for your post!

Seems like you and I see things the same way...

It mattes very little to me what the props 'look' like....

It's how they are PRESENTED that counts!!

I'm curious...What effect/trick are you performing with the sash cord?

Thanks again!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)

Professor's Nightmare, of course. I also have a beutiful "Impossible Knot" from Mark Wilson's that I'm quite proud of. Believe me when I say that making something like the impossible knot into a performance is no small feat.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
On 2006-04-24 09:32, JackScratch wrote:
Professor's Nightmare, of course. I also have a beutiful "Impossible Knot" from Mark Wilson's that I'm quite proud of. Believe me when I say that making something like the impossible knot into a performance is no small feat.

Being relatively new to performing magic, I'm just now learning Professor's Nightmare...(I know, I know...Shame on me)...I've been concentrating on certain, specific tricks and effects so that I have solid base before I begin adding other more diverse aspects of Magic...

However, I have been around magic for a very, very long time...Long enough to form a pretty good opinion on what makes a solid, entertaining performance and I can tell you this without hesitation...

Presentation is at LEAST 75% of what makes a performance entertaining...NOT the 'look' of the props!

Nice to 'meet' you Jack...Hope to get to know you better as time goes on.

Prof. Piper: the Singing, Juggling, Fire-Eating, Magical, Ventriloquist!
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Here we get into a little philosphy. A lot of things make a performance entertaining, even the look of the props. Though I suppose a far better way of saying it would be "A few things make a performance entertaining, but many things can detract from a performance that would otherwise be entertaining." Either way, the look of you props is a "thing". I don't think it is either a big thing or a small thing, but it is a "thing". To create the perfect performance, I tend to believe you would want to make all parts of your performance perfect. Can you be entertaining with shabby looking props? Depending on the particular feelings your story is ment to evoke, shabby looking props might even be required. The little tramp wouldn't have been very entertaining in a nice suit, now would he?

Quote Professor Piper
-"Presentation is at LEAST 75% of what makes a performance entertaining...NOT the 'look' of the props!"-
end quote

You aren't just preaching to the choir there, I'm writing that story. The question is, "would the look of the props not be part of your presentation?". But, I'm big on "the lines carry the performance."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What makes for the "Perfect Trick", and give a example of a "Perfect Trick" besides the presentation (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL